Arrow Choosing a Company Name

There are many pitholes such as trademarks, copyrights, all kinds of past domain disputes and probably many other issues, that have to be looked at before deciding on a company name.

Could you tell me where you checked before commiting for a company name?

I guess trademarks can be checked here

This place I found usefull for domain disputes.

What else should I check?

2. is it for uk or usa?
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

It's actually a UK Ltd. company, but we'd be trading and advertising internetionally...

4. have you looked on companyshouse.org
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

are you sure the domain name is right... it doesn't seem to work...?!?

6. sorry i cant spell ... http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

Ahhhh, yes, the art of spelling....

Great, so far so good, everything seems to be clear. No Trademarks, companieshouse is happy, no domain disputes...

Anywhere else I'd like to check?

We have an abstract company name (such a SONY for example, it doesn't mean anything). For a web host, would it be better to be presented as "www.sony.com" or "www.sony-host.com" ???

9. i would stay clear of sony lol
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

sony is just an exaple....

i'm trying to find out if asdf.com is better than asdf-host.com

11. what about adsfhost.com
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

would you rather have that? I'd be quite happy to register all combinations and park the domains, so when people cant remember, they'll find us anyway. The thing is that a short domain is (from an abstract point-of-view) catchy, although the hyphen-host version is self-explanotary...

13. I agree, although I personally do not like domains with the hyphens
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

If you can avoid it, mpaert, stay clear of hyphens. abcd and abcdhost are probably just as good as each other, if you can get both, do so.
    - Jamie Harrop

Any reasons hyphens are a no-no? (sorry, I had to use a hyphen for that one)

Well, lets put it this way... When visiting a Website, would you prefer to type abcd-host.com or abcdhost.com? I know I would prefer the second. There was once a theory that a hyphen helped with search engine position, but to be honest, I don't think it really matters, certainly not now.
    - Jamie Harrop

Quote Originally Posted by mpaert
    There are many pitholes such as trademarks, copyrights, all kinds of past domain disputes and probably many other issues, that have to be looked at before deciding on a company name.
    That is so true. It's becoming increasingly difficult to nail down that perfect domain/brand. You have to nail down the domain, and all the surrounding property around that domain. That means registering up to around 30+ domains in that domain's family.

This includes spelling variants, hyfenated, plural, singular and the main extensions. It's a huge task just to get all that right, but it's like laying the foundations for building your home. If you stuff it up, and get it wrong, it'll come back and bite you later on.

Then you have possible trademark issues that could arise. These days I think it's best to brand a made up word, and not something that's in common use. Something that's short, easy to spell, and something that just looks and sounds great. That's also a difficult task, but not impossible. Get creative and daring.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

18. ha ha, i like it. I just think they are a bit harder to remember. Maybe its just me, im not a great lover!
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    That is so true. It's becoming increasingly difficult to nail down that perfect domain/brand. You have to nail down the domain, and all the surrounding property around that domain. That means registering up to around 30+ domains in that domain's family.

This includes spelling variants, hyfenated, plural, singular and the main extensions. It's a huge task just to get all that right, but it's like laying the foundations for building your home. If you stuff it up, and get it wrong, it'll come back and bite you later on.

Then you have possible trademark issues that could arise. These days I think it's best to brand a made up word, and not something that's in common use. Something that's short, easy to spell, and something that just looks and sounds great. That's also a difficult task, but not impossible. Get creative and daring.

I see that you've been creative when it comes to your domain... he he he. Anywhere else we should check before commiting ourselves?

That's one of the greatest mistakes folks make with a domain name. If you brand the hyfenated domain, make sure that you also own the unhyfenated domain, and point the unhyfenated domain up to the hyfenated domain.

The hyfenated domain is beneath the unhyfenated domain, in most cases, so it's a lesser brand in that domain's family.

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    Well, lets put it this way... When visiting a Website, would you prefer to type abcd-host.com or abcdhost.com? I know I would prefer the second. There was once a theory that a hyphen helped with search engine position, but to be honest, I don't think it really matters, certainly not now.

I think we'll choose the best out of three worlds www.asdf.com, but register the 1 million other variants and get bankrupted.

I see that you've been creative when it comes to your domain...
    heh. I got very lucky with my current brand. It just kind of fell into my lap. It was destiny.

23. aussiebob, is that your dotable.com domain?
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

Quote Originally Posted by bigorangedesigns
    aussiebob, is that your dotable.com domain?
    Yes it is.

Well guys, thanks for your input. We've just registered our future domain(s).

Good luck with them.

I think it makes it harder to remember. Especially if someone has the has the abcdhost version and you have abcd-host. I have used hyphens in my some of my sites names, would I do it again probably not, I'd probably come up with a better name.

La la la laaaaaa we now have the short version the one without the hyphen and the hyphened version.... la la laaaaaa

Thanks.
    Numaria.com For peace of mind +44 800 075 8187 +1 800 985 8187
    Shared Hosting Reseller VPS Dedicated Servers SSL Domain Names

heh. I got very lucky with my current brand. It just kind of fell into my lap. It was destiny.
    Same with us Bob. I was just sitting there and thought, hey! that would be a cool name. I figured it was taken but it wasn't. So we incorporated as razor, inc and then registered all the ficticious name documents for the other brands we're introducing. I still can't believe razor, inc wasn't already in use by someone.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday
    Same with us Bob. I was just sitting there and thought, hey! that would be a cool name. I figured it was taken but it wasn't. So we incorporated as razor, inc and then registered all the ficticious name documents for the other brands we're introducing. I still can't believe razor, inc wasn't already in use by someone.

hey, congrats on your 1001th posting

One bit of advice i can provide from personal experience, don't bother adding flourishes like umlauts to the name, it's a pain to type every time you refer to your company and will cause no end to odd mispronunciations during phone conversations.
    Ubersmith Datacenter Edition
    Complete Billing and Facilities Management for Enterprise Hosts
    Now featuring fully integrated Bandwidth Billing, Remote Rebooter Support and IP Management
    http://www.ubersmith.com

I have a hyphen in mine. in fact I made a whole slew of names and made a big group.

If I had it to do all over again? I'd stay away from them. The reasons are endless, but the bottom line is, it's just easier to explain to someone the domain name and not have to use the hyphen. it's a pain in the butt.

Also, I've run into (although rare) systems that won't let you put hyphens in when registering, or using their services. It's a stupid restriction but it's there.

e-places is what I chose because I thought about e-mail which is a typical spelling, but like I said. I'd rethink that if I could. But the business has been developed to the point now that I can't just bail.

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    I have a hyphen in mine. in fact I made a whole slew of names and made a big group.

If I had it to do all over again? I'd stay away from them. The reasons are endless, but the bottom line is, it's just easier to explain to someone the domain name and not have to use the hyphen. it's a pain in the butt.

Also, I've run into (although rare) systems that won't let you put hyphens in when registering, or using their services. It's a stupid restriction but it's there.

e-places is what I chose because I thought about e-mail which is a typical spelling, but like I said. I'd rethink that if I could. But the business has been developed to the point now that I can't just bail.

Yes, sound right to me. As mentioned above, we've gone now for a short abstract one-word-non-hyphened-5-letter-name.com

Bingo!

Yes, sound right to me. As mentioned above, we've gone now for a short abstract one-word-non-hyphened-5-letter-name.com
    Is that ziple.com ?

If so, careful with that, because zipple.com would be the superior domain there, in that domain family. Both those domains are related, and ziple.com is the lesser brand. Noone is going to enter ziple.com, over zipple.com, so you miss that aspect of oral branding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    ...careful with that, because zipple.com would be the superior domain there, in that domain family. Both those domains are related, and ziple.com is the lesser brand. Noone is going to enter ziple.com, over zipple.com, so you miss that aspect of oral branding.
    "oral branding" sounds like sadistic dental work, but Mr. Bob is absolutely right on target. If your name isn't spelled the way someone would type it after hearing you say it, you're in trouble.

Making up a short, memorable word isn't easy, but it is possible, and it's a really good strategy for a new online company. But when you're making up that name, make sure the spelling is obvious from the sound.
    datapimp - You only get one soul, ya dig?

You are probably all right. I just hope that I'm not already too late, as I've already requested a domain change for modernbill and kayako... I have no idea how far their patience will hold, if I went back to them 48hrs aftre a re-request and then re-re-request (go-go-hyphents!). You're quite right, one would probably lose enough customers to zipple typos to make it not worth it...