Texas a&M College Network?

Hello,

I plan on taking some classes at Texas A& M and living in a dorm for a year. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of bandwidth they use, and the speeds that you are capable of getting in the dorms? Can I have a backup server in a dorm room for one year, or is this illegal?

Thank you,
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLC23
    Hello,

I plan on taking some classes at Texas A& M and living in a dorm for a year. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of bandwidth they use, and the speeds that you are capable of getting in the dorms? Can I have a backup server in a dorm room for one year, or is this illegal?

Thank you,
    Kyle
    almost all colleges have a clause in there that you can't use it for financial gain (it being their network). If you just mean backup as in doing nightly backups, I doubt they'd care. If you mean backup as in, if your main server goes down you want to be running off of the one in your dorm room, I'd say you're skating on very thin ice.

A friend of mine.. Hosts his websites at UCSB.. Has a full 1/2 rack..

I get around 700+KB around midnight and 300KB in the day time, I don't think hes behind a firewall or router. But i do have to say hes getting a Network Engineer Degree so maybe he worked it out with the techs to let him.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

It's interesting that you chose to ask this question on this forum, as it would best be answered by the administrators at that college.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet
    It's interesting that you chose to ask this question on this forum, as it would best be answered by the administrators at that college.
    ...and the admin would say "hey, you are no longer admitted to Texas A&M" Don't get yourself into trouble.

I get around 700+KB around midnight and 300KB in the day time, I don't think hes behind a firewall or router. But i do have to say hes getting a Network Engineer Degree so maybe he worked it out with the techs to let him.
    Let's hope that he is at least behind a router!
    Tranquil Hosting

The router saves lives. The network speeds vary, you might be able to call resnet and find out the carriers and the network capacity, most residential uploads are either bogged down and fluctuate or they are capped and are slow and don't tend to fluctuate.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

The thing with college station dorm networks is that theyre all capped, and a large majority of them are run by managed networks in Bryan. You'd have to talk to them, especially if you're living in the commons, the callaway house, or one of those dorms.

Almost all colleges have an unreliable resnet that would prevent you from even wanting to run a server on it

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    ... and they also tend to use private IP addressing alongside proxied access, etc, etc. Not at all like your average DSL connection.
    This is actually not the norm in US colleges - ARIN hand{s, ed} internet routable IP space out like candy to our EDUs.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph1
    almost all colleges have a clause in there that you can't use it for financial gain (it being their network). If you just mean backup as in doing nightly backups, I doubt they'd care. If you mean backup as in, if your main server goes down you want to be running off of the one in your dorm room, I'd say you're skating on very thin ice.
    More than that, most institutions of higher learning actually have clauses requiring that all internet use be for "educational use only", allowing them to restrict P2P, chat, and any other traffic they deem irrelevent.

Best,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Quote Originally Posted by SMachiz
    This is actually not the norm in US colleges - ARIN hand{s, ed} internet routable IP space out like candy to our EDUs.
    Tell me about it. Uconn has an entire /16. 65K IPs for a student population that's about 15K students. (including part-time / commuters, no degree studies people, etc).
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

haha... well here the college doesn't maintain all the dorms, they outsource a lot to Managed Networks apparently.