What's the deal with www.theplanet.com ?

Hi,

In some other thread, someone made the affirmation that a big hosting provider is actually hosting on "theplanet.com". Is "theplanet" some kind of mother of web hosting ?!? (or father ) People speak about this as if this would be common knowledge. (hmm... or is it only my perception)

Is "theplanet" very well known in WH business. If yes, why ???

Regards,
    Razvan

The Planet is a large data center where servers are connected to the Internet. It is regarded as one of the best data centers in the world.
    RydelWeb--Affordable Shared and Reseller Hosting
    1-877-625-6868

Quote Originally Posted by mihai11
    Hi,

In some other thread, someone made the affirmation that a big hosting provider is actually hosting on "theplanet.com". Is "theplanet" some kind of mother of web hosting ?!? (or father ) People speak about this as if this would be common knowledge. (hmm... or is it only my perception)

Is "theplanet" very well known in WH business. If yes, why ???

Regards,
    Razvan
    SEARCH!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydel
    It is regarded as one of the best data centers in the world.
    It is? That's news to me.

We used to have servers there, but when their so-called "redundant" backup power/network systems crapped out (which should never happen, that's what testing is for, eh?) we got out as quickly as possible.

Not to mention reboots can easily take over an hour. And the increasingly snarky attitude I was hearing from their techs the last couple of times I called. I was always very, very polite... having "walked the walk" on the data center side, I am very empathetic and nice with techs.

I've worked @ the data center level and know a big fat red flag when I see it.

Anyway the first part is true. The Planet is a very large data center, located in Dallas, TX. You can lease dedicated servers from them directly (which many smaller hosts do). These smaller hosts, in turn, offer VPS and shared hosting packages to end users.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

ThePlanet owns data centers located in Dallas TX, most web hosts that you see online do not have their own data center, but instead they either rent or co-locate with bigger data centers. ThePlanet is used by many web hosts.

ThePlanet owns data centers located in Dallas TX, most web hosts that you see online do not have their own data center, but instead they either rent or co-locate with bigger data centers. ThePlanet is used by many web hosts.
    In that case, why not make business directly with them ? If customer support is good, it makes no sense to used intermediaries.

Regards,
    Razvan

ThePlanet hardly qualifies as the largest or the best datacenter in the world. There are far better datacenters out there.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

I don't think they offer shared, reseller or VPS packages. Only dedicated or co-location.

mihai11,

The reason the majority of users don't directly do business with the planet is: Not every user needs a dedicated server - some just want to rent a tiny piece of one (like a shared hosting account).
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Hi Yash-JH,

ThePlanet hardly qualifies as the largest or the best datacenter in the world. There are far better datacenters out there.
    What are the largest/best datacenters in your opinion ?

Regards,
    Razvan

In that case, why not make business directly with them ? If customer support is good, it makes no sense to used intermediaries.

Regards,
    Razvan
    Actually it makes a lot of sense. Most DC's don't offer shared web hosting, they are either leasing servers or co-locating. The cost of either one of those things is much,much higher than a shared web hosting plan costs.

i think the planet is one of the best data center in WH World. we also using the same.

know for a fact that MOST of the gaming dedicated servers are hosted there.

It's widely accepted that Equinix own what are the best datacentres, I believe

Quote Originally Posted by vidahost
    Opinions... Opinions....

There is no best datacenter. Only the datacenter that is best for YOU.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I'm pretty happy with the one I use:

www.fibercloud.com

Just cabinets and bandwidth, bring your own servers.

Everyone knows Ghetto Colo is the most advanced and most prestige datacenter in the world

haha best datacenter slogan ever.

If it was any cheaper, your s*** would be on the street.

Why would the biggest datacentre be the best?
    Numaria.com For peace of mind +44 800 075 8187 +1 800 985 8187
    Shared Hosting Reseller VPS Dedicated Servers SSL Domain Names

Quote Originally Posted by mpaert
    Why would the biggest datacentre be the best?
    My thoughts exactly. I think nearly all of the big discounted shared hosting providers are either dealing with The Planet or EV1. Both companies are reputable and have a nice service. Heck, we even used their services (At one point) until we figured that 10 hours of downtime for a simple memory stick swap is not acceptable Oh yeah, the reason why: "The supervisor had to get the key to unlock the cabinet". Did the supervisor make the key?

Quote Originally Posted by gearworx
    My thoughts exactly. I think nearly all of the big discounted shared hosting providers are either dealing with The Planet or EV1. Both companies are reputable and have a nice service. Heck, we even used their services (At one point) until we figured that 10 hours of downtime for a simple memory stick swap is not acceptable Oh yeah, the reason why: "The supervisor had to get the key to unlock the cabinet". Did the supervisor make the key?
    Memory, Bah! I'm sorry to hear you had troubles with them. I must say, with such large "enterprises", smaller issues can get lost... whereas choosing the right-sized DC will have the best of both worlds, reliable and here-to-stay service with a dedicated and more personalized customer relation policy...
    Numaria.com For peace of mind +44 800 075 8187 +1 800 985 8187
    Shared Hosting Reseller VPS Dedicated Servers SSL Domain Names

Hi Yash-JH,

What are the largest/best datacenters in your opinion ?

Regards,
    Razvan
    one of them would be the NAP of Americas (http://napoftheamericas.net ). They are many times larger than ThePlanet and much better supporting infrastructure as well.

ThePlanet offers cheap rental servers making it seem as the center of the world for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by gearworx
    I disagree... alot of the big shared hosting providers have purchased their own hardware and are colocating them in one of the better datacenters in the US or around the world. ThePlanet is hardly suited for having a large shared business. If one of your servers experience an OS crash or issue, they provide minimal recovery support and would take at least 24 hours for a reinstall.

Your bigger proviers will colocate their hardware and have staff or their office nearby so they can rush in techs at any time to take care of a major issue, much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    I disagree... alot of the big shared hosting providers have purchased their own hardware and are colocating them in one of the better datacenters in the US or around the world. ThePlanet is hardly suited for having a large shared business. If one of your servers experience an OS crash or issue, they provide minimal recovery support and would take at least 24 hours for a reinstall.

Your bigger proviers will colocate their hardware and have staff or their office nearby so they can rush in techs at any time to take care of a major issue, much quicker.
    Why are you comparing renting a server at TP/SM to colo in another DC? Obviously there will be differences between colo and renting. The Planet do have colo space, they do not just rent servers so your comparision is extremelly bias.

Also, I am not sure where you got the minimum of 24 hours for a reload from, because that is simply not true.

I am not comparing, I am stating the TP/SM's support is inadequate, in my eyes, for a large hosting operation. The 24 hour reload time is from their forums. Look at the suggestions and feedback area.

I do not know what level of redundancy TP has, but they did have a major power issue recently and have also had a number of network issues. Some of the datacenters i have worked with are much larger than TP and have not had an outage over 60minutes in many years.

Sure, TP/SM is a great low-cost dedicated rental provider. But it surely is not the center of the hosting world or isn't the best/largest datacenter out there, as someone people believe.
    Last edited by Yash-JH; 11-22-2005 at 12:24 AM.

I didn't say everyone does and I said a lot of the bigger discounted hosting company. None-the-less, we're a larger company using a Tier I data center to do what you've described so that puts us in the "big shared hosting provider" category. Host gator for examples uses The Planet if you need an example...

I am not comparing, I am stating the TP/SM's support is inadequate, in my eyes, for a large hosting operation.
    Read your last post before this one, you mentioned in your own words that they would have people in an office nearby to handle issues, what is different about that or colo at The Planet? Are there no offices nearby to The Planet?

The 24 hour reload time is from their forums. Look at the suggestions and feedback area.
    You have taken a timeframe mentioned in the forums and changed what it actually referred to. By "at least" you imply that every reload takes a minimum of 24 hours, that is not true. The ones you normally see in the forums are complaining about the timeframe, however if you read the forums there are loads of posts saying that it took x hours, not all reloads take over 24 hours.

Also again take into account that they offer colo, so what's to stop the customer reloading the machine themselves? Where does The Planet support come into it when they have access to their own machines just as they would if the server was at another DC?

Quote Originally Posted by FLH-Wullie
    I didn't say everyone does and I said a lot of the bigger discounted hosting company. None-the-less, we're a larger company using a Tier I data center to do what you've described so that puts us in the "big shared hosting provider" category. Host gator for examples uses The Planet if you need an example..
    HostGator is probably an exception, and they probably have a very special contract with TP for priority support.

But you do not see many large scale hosting operations running off SM servers. This is simply my opinion and I am not bashing anyone using SM/TP servers. My opinion is based on experience with some of these providers, over 2 years ago.

You know, you're absolutely correct. Thanks for pointing that out. Twice...

Read your last post before this one, you mentioned in your own words that they would have people in an office nearby to handle issues, what is different about that or colo at The Planet? Are there no offices nearby to The Planet?
    Because if you colo at ThePlanet, you'll not be able to send your own staff in. At least that isnt mentioned on ThePlanet's site. At a datacenter such as the NAP, you and your staff can get security clearance to access the datacenter and your servers physically anytime. If theplanet allows customer access to their servers, then I am mistaken.

You have taken a timeframe mentioned in the forums and changed what it actually referred to. By "at least" you imply that every reload takes a minimum of 24 hours, that is not true. The ones you normally see in the forums are complaining about the timeframe, however if you read the forums there are loads of posts saying that it took x hours, not all reloads take over 24 hours.

Also again take into account that they offer colo, so what's to stop the customer reloading the machine themselves? Where does The Planet support come into it when they have access to their own machines just as they would if the server was at another DC?
    You aren't getting it. Every server may not take 24 hours to reload but if your server does end up taking 24 hours, you'd be in a very bad position. There are many complaints talking about multi-day OS reloads. Reading their forum, a 6 hour reload time seems a norm. In reality, it should take less than 30 minutes. 60 minutes at the most.

My point once again is that TP is not the center of the hosting world. Most large scale providers coloate their hardware and have their own staff nearby, for a reason. The reason is that these low-cost rental providers do not provide whats adequate to support a large operation.

Because if you colo at ThePlanet, you'll not be able to send your own staff in. At least that isnt mentioned on ThePlanet's site. At a datacenter such as the NAP, you and your staff can get security clearance to access the datacenter and your servers physically anytime. If theplanet allows customer access to their servers, then I am mistaken.
    It might not be mentioned on the website, but you can access your equipment if you are getting colo through them.

You aren't getting it. Every server may not take 24 hours to reload but if your server does end up taking 24 hours, you'd be in a very bad position. There are many complaints talking about multi-day OS reloads. Reading their forum, a 6 hour reload time seems a norm. In reality, it should take less than 30 minutes. 60 minutes at the most.

My point once again is that TP is not the center of the hosting world. Most large scale providers coloate their hardware and have their own staff nearby, for a reason. The reason is that these low-cost rental providers do not provide whats adequate to support a large operation.
    See above, no need for TP support to reload for you when you have physical access yourself.

no where do I see they'll allow physical access. How are you so sure? It seems they want you to depend on their on-site staff

Sorry but they do allow access. Some proof from there site:

http://www.theplanet.com/services/en...olocation.html

It says:

All of our colocation and cage rental customers receive these...

Secure Badge System

Why would you need a badge system if you were not allowed in?

Although I will agree with you that there site does not make mention of access to there datacenter at all.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

They don't mention it because they don't want every single customer walking-in the facility wanting to administer their own dedicated server even when they're not using their co-lo services. That's just my guess

Quote Originally Posted by Hai2u
    know for a fact that MOST of the gaming dedicated servers are hosted there.

You know for a fact huh?

Out of all the guys I know that host games maybe 5 use thePlanet.

And I'm not talking about "Little mikey's wannabe GSP" I mean actual companies with more then 100 customers. There are a bunch of little startups that won't be around in a month sure. Go check their forums.. There used to be dozens of posters going on and on about their little GSP's but now it's a ghost town since they all went bust...

running GSP is difficult, lots of overhead and barely anyone paying their hosting bills.

Originally Posted by vidahost

True..
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper