Difference between Managed,Un-Managed,Semi-Managed

Can anybody throw lights on it

It really all comes down to the individual companies offering the service. Generally, though

Un-managed: You're on your own to troubleshoot problems with your site/server. More experienced webmasters/hosting company owners would lean towards this as they can usually save some $$ since they don't need as much support.

Semi-managed: Your host/DC will help you troubleshoot server-software related issues, such as problems with email, apache, exim, etc. upon your request. For dedicated servers, they may offer reboots upon request. They may place a limit on how much they will help before charging admin fees.

Managed: This gets a bit trickier, as fully managed is a highly objective statement. In the case of dedicated servers, your DC will generally proactively monitor your server for high loads, suspicious traffic spikes, or downed services, and follow your outlined method of resolution. They may also fix the problem for you and let you know what they did. They may proactively do software (apache, kernel, etc) upgrades for you as well.

I know I've missed a few points but I think this gives a general idea.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Unmanaged: You're on your own.

Semi-Managed: The host helps out occasionally.

Managed: The host does all the work.

A word of caution....

Don't run out and get a server based on the definitions provided on these forums (for unmanaged, semi-managed and managed), because it's ultimately up to the server provider to meet the standards as they define them in their terms of service.

What one provider calls "managed" service, another may call "semi-managed", etc.

There are no standards set for these terms. Just be sure you know what you're paying for. In other words, read the providers fine-print before making your decison.

Rob.
    Rob Moore - Founder/President
    DemoWolf.com - Video Support Tutorials for Hosting Companies, since 2005
    Our new service is LIVE - as of June 1, 2016

If you're providing your own services, the previous replies are probably your best guidelines for defining your product.

Beware though! I have seen providers which call their service 'managed' when they just mean that they are providing you with the server rather than colocating. I guess in such a manipulative market, calling your product 'managed' when you don't do anything for the customer may increase sales, but might also increase hostility toward you.

If you are looking to purchase one of the services, you should e-mail the provider if you are unsure of any of their terms to make sure you understand what you're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by HostingEnthusiast
    Beware though! I have seen providers which call their service 'managed' when they just mean that they are providing you with the server rather than colocating. I guess in such a manipulative market, calling your product 'managed' when you don't do anything for the customer may increase sales, but might also increase hostility toward you.
    Exactly
    Rob Moore - Founder/President
    DemoWolf.com - Video Support Tutorials for Hosting Companies, since 2005
    Our new service is LIVE - as of June 1, 2016