Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CentOS 4.x - how to trim the fat ?

We plan on using CentOS 4.x on all our new servers together with Cpanel. I've done a couple of test installs on a test machine ..and even the smallest install possible ('server' I believe it was) still comes with hundreds of unnecessary rpms / software..

I was just wondering if anyone here has worked out a way to trim all the unnecessary fat so to speak and have just a lean centos 4.x install that is stable and works perfectly with Cpanel.

As most of you will already know, Cpanel downloads all the necessary things like bind, exim, proftpd, mysql etc so you don't really need to have even these things installed because the OS version of those daemons aren't used on cpanel box (AFAIK)..

I'm not experienced enough to do a manual package selection because I might end up uninstalling certain rpms that might actually be needed to have a stable/usable OS.

I have 2 reasons for doing this

1) incoming bandwidth where I am is extremely expensive so i don't wanna waste precious bandwidth downloading (quite regularly) RPM updates I do not need to have in the first place...

2) for security. It's much easier to keep a server secure when you know there aren't hundreds of useless packages installed ..

We usually do the minimal install, although you still get a lot of uneeded packages, it is still quite small at just over 600MB. This does not install many of the default servers, and cPanel will download them as needed...
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

is this with Centos 4.x ?

Have you ever experienced any issues with a minimal install ? Missing programs ..libraries etc?

I am not really concerned about the amount of space it takes, rather the silly notion of having 100s of programs installed that I have no need for and need to keep updating and wasting time and money on..

Anyone else??

Yes, this was tested with cPanel combo using CentOS 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2. There have been no problems... usually installing gcc (yum install gcc) will help, but other than that we have not encountered any issues.
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by crucialx
    Yes, this was tested with cPanel combo using CentOS 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2. There have been no problems... usually installing gcc (yum install gcc) will help, but other than that we have not encountered any issues.
    Ouch ... if it doesn't install something as fundamental as gcc I think I better stick to a bigger package!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Hm ... server CD ? This is probably one of those bootable linux CDs ... or am I wrong?

We always do the following and have no problems whatsoever:

1. CentOS install set to 'minimal'
    2. yum install gcc
    3. cPanel install
    Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?

Cool, I will have to try that then myself

Has anyone attempted to trim even a minimal install to remove unnecessary packages?

Could one of you please do a "qa | wc -l"

I would recommend the following:

Get URL to CENTOS-KEY (check centOS mirrors)

Install CentOS Minimal
    rpm --install urltokey
    yum update
    yum install gcc
    install cpanel
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

What's this urltokey you speak of?

use text install ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan23
    use text install ...
    Is that somehow connected to the previous thing (urltokey) or just a general tip?

rpm --install /usr/share/doc/*/RPM-GPG-KEY*
    Web Hosting

Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Custom -> Minimal is by far the best route to go. Far to many dedicated providers use the "server" option when its just not needed, and really it only caused problems for their customers. I mean, who needs print services on a dedicated server ? Minimal should be the standard, unfortunately, we lack standards in this industry in far to many areas. The more software that's installed, the more vulnerable, potentially, that server might be.

The cPanel installer will grab whatever it needs that isn't installed, which is the best way to start out on a new box.

Quote Originally Posted by crucialx
    rpm --install /usr/share/doc/*/RPM-GPG-KEY*
    What exactly are you saying here?

If you can't be bothered explaining what you're posting, then don't bother posting at all please. It just confuses matters for no reason.

Same with you Steven..

Well I was just clarifying what vaporub said.. Sometimes the gpg key will be missing and you have to import the key for yum to work correctly. That is what i explained.

Hm why would the gpg key be missing ...and at which point do you think it's best to run that import command?

Sometimes if you upgrade from lets say Centos 4.1 to 4.2.. or lets say rpm gets upgraded for whatever reason.. They key goes missing sometimes. You only need to run the command if it says it cannot find key.. the error is kind of obvious so when you get it you know what to run

Papi,

You are kind of rude sometimes

We are all just trying to help and this is not a classroom. If you need clarification, just ask.
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

help I like ..and appreciate, I just don't like when people blurt out one line of code without even saying what it does, why they posted it etc

This thread could be useful to a lot of people I'm sure. So why burry it under a rubble of incomprehensible one liners that can only confuse those who read it later on??

I've already got the info I needed on the first page, thanks..

Papi,

If you expect assistance from people that are more learned in a field which you are requesting assistance with, you may want to accept that fact that perhaps sometimes what might come about initially will be beyond your grasp.

Techno-bable may not be understandable to yourself, but to some, it's as simplistic as it can be put. If you don't understand what's being said, ask nicely, or just don't bother asking at all. Nobody's paid to offer their help to you here, and you're attitude is certainly not appreciable to those that have tried to assist you.

</my 2c>

Haze,

all I am asking is that people do not post stuff that needs to be decyphered and requires 10 follow up questions. Is that so hard to understand?

Thanks for butting in, but stay out next time if you've got nothing really constructive to add other than lecture me.

I do appreciate everyone's assistance on page 1 - thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan23
    use text install ...
    One final question regarding this ... I've just tried the text install (centos 4.2) and it doesn't offer the 'minimal' installation only personal, desktop, workstation and custom (which lets you select packages yourself)

So I'm guessing you have to use the graphical installer to get the minimal install?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast