Data recovery software?

My dad accidentally partially ghost'ed over one of his data harddrive, he noticed it at about 5% into the process. When we killed ghost, and restarted the machine using BartPE, we already couldn't recognize the HD, and partition magic could not convert partition from NTFS -> Fat32 ('too many errors' according to partition magic) for us to recovery the data from DOS. Is there any programs out there that can recover any of the left over data by accessing the drive directly?
    Warning: include('signature') [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in eval'd code on line 38
    Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'signature' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in eval'd code on line 38

Take a look at http://www.convar.de. They make a freeware program called "PC Inspector File Recovery." It works well.

For the recovery process though it's important to pull the hard drive and install it in a working computer. Do not try to install anything on the hard drive with the lost data.

It's probably best to duplicate the hard drive before you do anything else. That way you won't compound the error.

r-tt's R-Studio helped my friend to get rid from it's huge nightmare and to save thousands of unique press-photos (and other data) from the HDD. Maybe R-Studio can help you as well.

Good luck!

P.S.: The Islander is right: you should not install anything on the hard drive with the lost data.
    Last edited by Fulk; 11-20-2005 at 08:46 AM.
    Life is too short for 56k!

Just try "easy recovery pro" the best file recovery i found after trying more than 6-7 file recovery programs . recomended by pc magazine and can recover formated ,deleted ,raw and blah blah file types .
    Last edited by hitmeback; 11-20-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roboxooo
    Just try "easy recovery pro" the best file recovery i found after trying more than 6-7 file recovery programs . recomended by pc magazine and can recover formated ,deleted ,raw and blah blah file types .
    Agreed, OnTrack's EasyRecovery Professional is the best software out there for data recovery. Download their trial to see if you can recover anything, if it looks promising you can then buy/download the full version.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Easy Recovery Pro is excellent software, and it is a STEAL at $500, considering the value of information! I was happy to purchase it a few years ago when I had a major meltdown. Heck, you could start a Tier-1 data recovery service and make your money back after five sessions using that software
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Thanks a bundle guys, I'll look into Easy Recovery Pro and see if I can get anything out of it.
    Warning: include('signature') [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in eval'd code on line 38
    Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'signature' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in eval'd code on line 38

*do delete all the partitions .
    *re-format ur hard drive with each drive space allocated as it was before
    *install OS and easy recovery
    *recover data
    *i was able to recover more than 20 gb of data by this method .

Quote Originally Posted by roboxooo
    *do delete all the partitions .
    *re-format ur hard drive with each drive space allocated as it was before
    *install OS and easy recovery
    *recover data
    *i was able to recover more than 20 gb of data by this method .
    Or just plug the hardrive into another machine, and copy over the recovered data to avoid further dataloss?
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

I had a similar problem, I stuffed around for a day or so trying to get my files back and
    realised I was only making it worse. I bit the bullet and bought DataRecoveryWizard that did the trick. It worked. Recovered almost everything.