Dedicated or VPS?

First of all, I'm not sure if this forum is the right one or if I should have posted elsewhere.

I'm running a hobby website hosted by Powweb. Unfortunately I have reached (exceeded) some of their limits and I need to find a home somewhere else. My budget is low, and actually I can't really afford a good dedicated server (unless it costs below 50-60 USD, which is hard to find). However I would need some good advice from you more expierenced servers people.

My website uses PHP and MySQL. It's kind of optimized, and uses about 300 000 querys daily (about 4-5 per page view). This is an estimation, I guess that most of the queries can be cached and doesn't really put that high load on the server. Even PHP could probably by cached and speed up. I guess.

The website recieves daily about 65 000 - 70 000 page views, 200 000 - 220 000 hits, and uses about 2 GB of bandwidth.

My site (or CGI) was disabled due to high process count (whatever that is?), which was 29. I guess it's the number of php files run at the same time?

My question is:
    With all your expirience and knowledge, could You estimate what type of hosting I would need?

I'm now in a shared enviroment (Powweb), but have outgrown it. I can't afford anything expensive (more than 50-60). Could I make it on some VPS?

yeah $50-60 is enough for a decent vps

Quote Originally Posted by XMB Hosting
    yeah $50-60 is enough for a decent vps
    Yes, or some cheap dedicated. However the question is how powerfull hosting I need for the website mentioned? Could a VPS (and which one) handle that number of sql queries (the queries are well optimized), and page views?

I know it's close to impossible to answer any of these questions, but any (good) estimation (by experienced admins) would be appreciated.

The big question here is do you need a managed VPS or unmanaged? I have not used their service so I can not comment on it but webintellects http://www.webintellects.com/solutio...alvpsplans.htm Offers a VPS with 384MB of ram and 600gb of transfer for $59.95 per month. And its managed, that should be more than enough to run your website.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwatcher1974
    The big question here is do you need a managed VPS or unmanaged?
    Managed would be nice, but unmanaged would be cheaper. I have not much experience running Linux/*BSD servers, but I have good experience configuring apache, mysql, php and that stuff.

I could probably run an unmanaged VPS too (if there is some good?), after some studying.

I have not used their service so I can not comment on it but webintellects http://www.webintellects.com/solutio...alvpsplans.htm Offers a VPS with 384MB of ram and 600gb of transfer for $59.95 per month. And its managed, that should be more than enough to run your website.

I checked their solutions and the only important (for me) difference betweeen Plan 1 and Plan 2 is the guaranteed RAM (256 and 384 MB).

But, what about the CPU? Is there some "guaranteed" CPU usage too? Could I slow down the whole server (including other users on the physical server) or am I running in a minimum guaranteed usage mode where I can not harm other users?

I'm asking because I can live with if only "my part" of the server is overloaded for some shorter periods, but I would hate to be kicked out again for slowing the entire server.

I spoke with them on the phone and they said all VPS share full CPU. They do not limit the cpu unless your bogging down the system. Then they throttle the cpu to 1/16 of the total CPU power.

Another place you could look is UNIXSHELL http://www.unixshell.com/index.php?page=services They use XEN and do not oversell. You can also reinstall the OS on the fly. They are totaly unmanaged. I signed up with they yesterday and I am in the process of testing their system. So far so good. I signed up for the 128mb ram plan and I am very pleased.

I spoke with them on the phone and they said all VPS share full CPU. They do not limit the cpu unless your bogging down the system. Then they throttle the cpu to 1/16 of the total CPU power.
    Thanks man! So that would mean that the in the worst case scenario (in case of unintentional "abuse") I would be throttled down (permanently?), and not kicked out.

1/16 of "Minimum (2) 3.0 GHz Xeon, 8 GBs RAM" isn't that bad?

Another place you could look is UNIXSHELL http://www.unixshell.com/index.php?page=services They use XEN and do not oversell. You can also reinstall the OS on the fly. They are totaly unmanaged. I signed up with they yesterday and I am in the process of testing their system. So far so good. I signed up for the 128mb ram plan and I am very pleased.
    I'll take a look on that. Comparing the The 192 plan with Plan 1 at Webintellects (both costs 40 dollars) it seems that you are getting more at Webintellects (192 MB vs guaranteed 256, 192 GB transfer VS 500 GB)?

I suppose that the difference is the CPU "units"? What hardware (CPU) is Unixshell running the VPS on? I couldn't find that info.

You should also check out the dedicated offers forum. You will often find older PCs (P3 and Celerons) going for very good prices. They may just be enough for you.

I would go with a Dedicated Server instead... There are many "classics" available for cheap, such as a Pentium 3, like eldawg said. I do not recommend Celerons, though.

Quote Originally Posted by OCAaron
    I would go with a Dedicated Server instead... There are many "classics" available for cheap, such as a Pentium 3, like eldawg said. I do not recommend Celerons, though.
    I'm trying to find such offers in the dedicated offers forum. Tips are appreciated. Since I'm a newbie in this, it's hard to know which providers are good or bad.
    Last edited by ticoroman; 11-20-2005 at 09:37 AM.

Search their company names on these forums.