* server hacked (?) - how?

Hi guys,

One of my client claims his website was hacked and the hacker got the source code of his own very valueable script.
    He spoke with the hacker and that said that he used a vulneribility in our server to get the files.
    How could that happen? What program could be vulnerable?
    We have open_basedir set to the user's dir (hacker said he didn't use a badly-written script), tmp is secured, safe_mode is on, PHP can't exec system commands, rkhunter+chrootkit finds nothing, no root logins except me
    System: CentOS 4.0 kernel: 2.6.9-5.0.3.EL
    Thanks for your helpful input in advance!

One of my client claims his website was hacked and the hacker got the source code of his own very valueable script.
    Was this a PHP script?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Yes, it's a PHP-based WAP chat script.

i saw many "PHP-based WAP chat script" and can't say that it's verysecured. Many of then using register_globals=on and also send sensitive information with GET request. Of course, i am not see script which you tald secured, but most likely it is based on one of popular wap chat scripts. And i should say that all of them is not very secured...
    May be if you investigate customer web-logs or mod_security (if you use it) logs you may found how script ws stealed.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

Thanks for the answer, rustelekom.
    The script is unique, it was developed by the client.
    I also think that it might be a bug in his script, but he asked the hacker the following questions: "Was there an error in the chat? Did I misconfigure something on the server? Was it the server's fault?" As a reply he got that it was a vulneribility on the server he used. And THAT makes me worry.
    I don't use mod_security and a daily log for this site is ~70MB and no one knows when the incident happened, so it would be pretty difficult to look them all through.

Of course, the hacker may just be lying...
    Would you trust a thief to tell the truth?

hacker do not right person for trust him of course, for already happen story this will not help, but try enable mod_security and change default settings to log,allow. as minimum you will see what happen on server on his web part and who try compromise it. btw: tmp securing not help you with protecting from hacking. hacker may using perl and run any script on secured /tmp partiion...
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

I'm glad you rather think that the hacker lies and not that it was my fault I somehow believe this guy. Why would he lie? To make the client go to a different host?
    Anyway, thanks I'll install mod_security this weekend and I'll ask the client to rewrite the script so I can disable register_globals.

He might lie in order to stop the customer from securing his script.

just for info.. that kernel is exploitable.. sooo i wonder how much more is out of date on the server
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Blapto: Well, I haven't thought of that.
    Thelinuxguy: I know, I'll upgrade it but I hate shutting down/restarting the server because of that. But if you think that it was the cause for this hack, I'll upgrade it today! Besides that everything is up-to-date on the machine.
    Last edited by davevad; 11-19-2005 at 12:00 PM.

kernels are vital to keep upgraded.. exploits in the kernel can lead to root compromise.
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

OK, I'll do it ASAP. Just have to inform my users.
    You think that made this incident possible?

no. I think his script was probably exploitable

Are you running the latest versions of PHP, Apache, etc.?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Steven: That sounds convincing to me, thanks.
    elix: Apache is the newest, PHP is still 4.4.0. CGIs are not allowed.

Dave,

Have alook around your apache logs, for any sort of commands that would allow someone to view the files, such as `cat`,`wget`,`curl`,`GET` and so on.

find all the scripts that execute commands on the server

find /home -name '*.php' -exec grep 'system(' {} \; -print
    find /home -name '*.php' -exec grep 'exec(' {} \; -print
    find /home -name '*.php' -exec grep 'passthru(' {} \; -print

There are lots more find the rest of them at www.php.net/system it will show you related commands.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

Scott: Safe_mode is on and safe_mode_exec_dir is set to a dir with the following minimum content: convert, ncftpput, ping, tar.
    He can't have executed system commands for this.

Update from hacker: he claims he tried hacking some kind of filebrowser and he got in somehow (retold by costumer). As open_basedir limits the user to his own folder the script must have been in that folder!
    The guy posted the file names, modification date, size in the chat.
    Log file for yesterday is "just" 54MB

If he posted the file info then obviously he executed commands on the server.

Like I said

find /home -name '*.php' -exec grep 'system(' {} \; -print
    find /home -name '*.php' -exec grep 'exec(' {} \; -print
    find /home -name '*.php' -exec grep 'passthru(' {} \; -print

Replace /home with the location of the users DIR.
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules

Tried those... no result

Are you using cPanel?
    Is the customer (or are you) using secure passwords?

No, we use a self-developed control panel, but I don't see anything strange in its log.
    I use secure password and I hope he does too. His FTP user is not the same as his domain name and I saw only him logging in with that user.

Well, your control panel may have a flaw in it somewhere.
    "Update from hacker: he claims he tried hacking some kind of filebrowser and he got in somehow (retold by costumer)."

I take it your control panel has something that would be described as "some kind of filebrowser"?

No, there is no file browser integrated.
    It runs with register_globals off but open_basedir off as well.
    There is one file content listing option (log view) but that would report any abuse. It has no function that would display modification date or size. And there is no demo for the system, so the hacker wouldn't even know what options it has.

its possible that code was injected into your clients own code though an include or something..

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.readdir.php

for example would give an output of the files etc.. Just some ideas. Do you have recentlogs for apache? around the time it happened

I also think that something like that happened.
    We have the logs. The problem is that I don't know when it happened. He said that it *might have been* yesterday between 8 and 10. That's fine, but the log is extremely long and all requests have some posted variable (eg. /msg.php?id=f4d3h75x) so it's totally unreadable.

cat file | grep -i "some info"

Thanks, I'm checking the log for possible break in attempts.
    No positve match in the first run.

Quote Originally Posted by davevad
    /msg.php?id=f4d3h75x)
    What exactly does the id part do?

If it was done via $_GET you should be able to get the actual commands executed from the apache logs, however you will have to search all scripts if you are unable to find anything(indicating it was from $_POST,$_COOKIE, and so on)

Most scripts that do not execute directly usually have the commands added into the url which means closing the current tag and then reopening it, either using a ) directly or using it in html form(%29) such as

http://www.mysite.com/index.php?site=%22%29.passthru%28%22uname%20-a%22%29.%28%22

and if the code was

PHP Code:
    echo("You inputted $_GET[site]"); 
    Obviously its not going to be that simple but essentially what that would read is
    PHP Code:
    echo("You inputted ").passthru("uname -a").(""); 
    Well you get the general idea. Just keep having alook if you are still unable to find the problem you may look into getting someone to look at it for you.

The id is used as session name identifier.
    I didn't find any general PHP dir or file functions so I guess he used POST. Looking through the source will take a while, but I have no other choice, I have to convince him that the problem was in his script.
    Thanks.

what strings did you look at exactly?

I searched for the following words: fopen, popen, readdir, opendir, include, require
    And looked at the % strings Scott.Mc mentioned.

Scott.Mc: id is equal to session_id().