Thread: Database Issue

Database Issue

Ok, I just bought a dedicated server and I'm trying to get my forum and website moved over to it. I'm having a problem exporting the database from my old server and importing it to my new one. I've tried phpMyAdmin but I think that the database may be too big, because it just hangs and doesn't do anything when I try making a backup.

I've tried SSH with this command: "mysqldump -u db_username -p db_name > /path/to/backup.sql" but everytime it asks for my password it says that it's wrong. I know for SURE that everything is right. I wrote it down when I first made the database and it's even in the config file for my forum. I'm not sure what to do, I've been trying for the past 3 hours to find something but I can't. Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure what to say--you need to get mysqldump to work.

Does your host run MySQL on a separate machine? You may need to specify the host to connect to with mysqldump.

Sans that, I would contact your host's support and ask them to do it for you.

Post the exact commands that you are typing into SSH. Maybe someone here can help you.
    Darsh Web Solutions : Web Design, PHP Development, E-Commerce Solutions

PHP Tutorials : Tutorials and scripts for beginners

remove white space

mysqldump -hserver -uuser -ppass database

Try this http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/download_sqlyogfree.html (you can enable external access to mysql in your cpanel)

Download your db, then upload it to the new server.