Virtual vers Dedicated?

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is?

simply put, a virtual server is a program running on a real computer that will mimic the real computer, allowing you to have more than one server running on a computer. This allows multiple clients to run off of a machine rather than having one machine per client.

There are many drawbacks, but in some cases, it is a very valuable tool.

Give me ideas of benefits and drawbacks please? Our site needs to move from a shared server to something else bigger.. I have no administration knowledge of servers, I've always used shared servers..

simply google something like

dedicated vs virtual server

and i am sure you will get tons more than i can offer Ü.. cheers, drew..
    Last edited by dcurry; 11-18-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Greetings! There are managed and unmanaged VPS- and dedicated server accounts.
    From the impression I get, you should probably go with a managed VPS account. It works kind of like having your own server, although you are actually sharing a server with a few other accounts. The price tag might be around $50/month or so.
    Look for reputable hosts that offer this type of service. Good Luck!
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

i would suggest as a large concern would be how many resources are left in the running virtual server after the hosting software like Virtuozzo/Plesk or whatever you use. Why you may have virtually (no pun intended ) no programs running, you might be seeing a pegged processor and this will greatly affect your performance.