Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wanting Experience In Web Hosting

Hi there,
    my names sam im currently a student studying business studies as an option, and to help me along with this study i was wondering wether a company could maybe take me on board so i can get a bit of experience.

The company doesnt even have to be established, i would like to make it clear that im only 14, but i have 2 years experience in managing dedicated servers and also used to assist in free web hosting. I found both rather in a way entertaining as each day you'd come across something you've never known before or a new problem arrises and when uve fixed it it made yo feel good.

I also get on very well with people, im a great person to talk to as some of you may know. i will always try to please who ever i am doing something for and will always work to my highest standards.

I am not really looking to work for a pay but it would be a nice even if it is just £1 a week i aint bothered. All i can really say is that i totally assure you that i can certainly work hard and bring something new to the company.

PS | i really dont want to be just stuck in the advertising side, if possible i would also like to assist in sales and see how the webhosting works etc. Also process requests and things of the like.

Thank You For Your Time
    Sam.

You were managing dedicated servers at age 12? In what capacity?
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

I don't think you should underestimate 14 year olds, I have an Uncle with a PHD in a software related field and he got me into very basic text based programming at 7 and by 14 I knew a lot, now I am a senior in Electrical Engineering and have written my own OS, Java to C++ compiler, and designed my own ALU and sent it out for fabrication(Classes in that order were CSE421, CSE305, CSE497). I know that looks like Computer Engineering but I was originally going to get both degrees until I decided on a masters so I put alot of my Technical Electives in CEN.

Your off to a great start, and I am sure if you work hard at this you will be successful, especially starting at such a young age. Not sure you would fit in right with us but drop me an email and we can talk.
    Adam J. Thompson
    [email protected]
    http://www.incheckhost.com
    Also Check Out our Brand New Forums http://www.incheckforums.com

I agree with InCheck Adam J. These days the younger guys are learning this industry very quickly. I am 26 and I can't count how many times that some of these younger guys on the net have just showed me up.

Thorny I don't really believe that we can help you at this time, but I wish you good luck in your adventure.

Let me share something to u all

"It is never too late
    to become what you might have been."
    -- George Eliot

Never underestimate children!

Fair enough that I'm a bit mistrusting, and that's why I'd asked "In what capacity". He still hasn't responded, so you're all assuming that he *is* good at it.

I was basing this on the 12-13 year olds I've met through my son, and they can't (or even want to) do anything on the computer but play Neopets or Quake. Hardly a definitive sampling, to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny
    Hi there,
    my names sam im currently a student studying business studies as an option, and to help me along with this study i was wondering wether a company could maybe take me on board so i can get a bit of experience.

The company doesnt even have to be established, i would like to make it clear that im only 14, but i have 2 years experience in managing dedicated servers and also used to assist in free web hosting. I found both rather in a way entertaining as each day you'd come across something you've never known before or a new problem arrises and when uve fixed it it made yo feel good.

I also get on very well with people, im a great person to talk to as some of you may know. i will always try to please who ever i am doing something for and will always work to my highest standards.

I am not really looking to work for a pay but it would be a nice even if it is just £1 a week i aint bothered. All i can really say is that i totally assure you that i can certainly work hard and bring something new to the company.

PS | i really dont want to be just stuck in the advertising side, if possible i would also like to assist in sales and see how the webhosting works etc. Also process requests and things of the like.

Thank You For Your Time
    Sam.
    Don't take this the wrong way because I am writing it to try and help you.

When you are trying to solicit business in any way, spell check and read over what you have written. From reading your post, my initial impression is:

"This guy seems to have the motivation, but lacks basic communication skills"

Your post is littered with grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, which is not the way you want to come across to someone you are trying to get a job from, especially when you would be working directly with customers.

If your don't check your grammar when posting this type of thread, why would you check your grammar when you are replying to my customers? "Would I put this person as the initial point of contact for my company?" That's the way a business owner will think.

H there, thank you all for your kind words, im sorry i didn't respond sooner, stupid ISP (NTL) went down last night. Ok bear By capacity im not quite sure your asking me to tell you? Capacity being The number of servers??? Maybe you could rephrase your question for me, thank you.

I must say this is the most "understanding" forum i have come accross, usually i'd get flamed or "put down" but you guys/gals seem to be really understanding and informative, thank you

*edit* Sorry Wullie, i will certainly take this advice into mind, but i would just like to say i really dont lack motivation, or basic communication skills, however do you expect all 14 year olds to be TOTALLY litterate?
    Last edited by Thorny; 11-18-2005 at 01:26 PM.

What I meant was, what were your duties/responsibilities...that sort of thing. Did you actually run, upgrade and/or patch things, or just assist someone else with lesser tasks?

I've heard some folks claim past server knowledge here, only to find out it was simple help desk and cpanel type dealings. Hit them with a difficult issue and they were soon baffled.

ok thank you Bear. I used to help maintain the servers, my dad used to work in a small datacenter and to earn myself some money i went with him on mon,wed,fri, sometimes saturdays just to update and manage the servers.

I hope this has answered your question.

Sam, I assume you're taking Business Studies GCSE?
    With regards to your grammar, spelling and communication skills, you probably aren't expected to use complex sentence constructs, but in sales and tech support nobody is. Your use of txt speak, failure to use the correct case for "i", excessive use of punctuation (one question mark is enough), incorrect spelling and incorrect use of apostrophes will be frowned upon however.
    There are firefox toolbars which will spell check your posts and e-mails, gmail will spell check for you, and worst case you can run longer posts through Word or OpenOffice first.
    I understand you're too young to have a great deal of work experience, but take the time to construct a CV, get a parent to read through it, or post it here. Everybody makes mistakes they don't notice, you always need a second person to read over such things. Be sure to list what you're competent with, and what experience you have in your various fields.

Good luck

ok thank you Bear. I used to help maintain the servers, my dad used to work in a small datacenter and to earn myself some money i went with him on mon,wed,fri, sometimes saturdays just to update and manage the servers.

I hope this has answered your question.
    Mostly, yes. Were you doing the actual work, or just accompanying him while he did it? These are (I feel) important facts to establish your knowledge of how these things work.

At first, yes it was just accompanying him but then i became interested and got into it myself after i asked him if he could teach me

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Fair enough that I'm a bit mistrusting, and that's why I'd asked "In what capacity". He still hasn't responded, so you're all assuming that he *is* good at it.

I was basing this on the 12-13 year olds I've met through my son, and they can't (or even want to) do anything on the computer but play Neopets or Quake. Hardly a definitive sampling, to be sure.
    Oh yes that is very true, I guess I forgot about all those kids when I posted that. We have all met many people who claim to be much better then they really are.

Thorny, you still have not really answered the question bear has asked you. He wants to know what "update and manage" means when you say it. Are you capable of doing Cpanel updates, or Kernal upgrades? What about recompiling apache? Have you ever installed antivirus software, or setup a firewall? Do you know any apache security tweaks that others might not know? Those are just a few questions that would qualify you as knowing specific pieces of server management.
    Adam J. Thompson
    [email protected]

*edit* Sorry Wullie, i will certainly take this advice into mind, but i would just like to say i really dont lack motivation, or basic communication skills, however do you expect all 14 year olds to be TOTALLY litterate?
    Look at it from my perspective (a business owner):

What do I expect from a 14 year old?

You yourself said you would prefer to be placed in sales, which is the department that gives the initial impression of a company as a whole to most customers. In a similar manner, your posts for this type of subject are giving an initial impression of you to the company owners looking here.

If you were at a job interview, would you use slang? Words like "aint & uve" do not belong in a formal conversation, which is what your post should be. Not every post needs to be formal but when you are looking for a job or posting on behalf of a company then you should do your best to make sure the language you use is appropriate for the situation.

Do I want you replying to my customers when they have a problem saying something like the following?

"I aint able to replicate this, can you let us know whether uve still got this problem?".

Take the time to review what you write, even if it takes you extra time to create your post/reply. Especially on the Internet, slang can cause problems for people. It's hard enough for some people to understand English if it is not their first langauge, introduce slang into the mix and you confuse them even more. That confusion or bad impression can cost a business money in lost sales.

As I said, I am only providing this information in the hopes that you take notice and learn from it, because it will benefit you. The best feedback you can have about something like this is where you are going wrong and how you can improve on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FLH-Wullie
    Look at it from my perspective (a business owner):

What do I expect from a 14 year old?

You yourself said you would prefer to be placed in sales, which is the department that gives the initial impression of a company as a whole to most customers. In a similar manner, your posts for this type of subject are giving an initial impression of you to the company owners looking here.

If you were at a job interview, would you use slang? Words like "aint & uve" do not belong in a formal conversation, which is what your post should be. Not every post needs to be formal but when you are looking for a job or posting on behalf of a company then you should do your best to make sure the language you use is appropriate for the situation.

Do I want you replying to my customers when they have a problem saying something like the following?

"I aint able to replicate this, can you let us know whether uve still got this problem?".

Take the time to review what you write, even if it takes you extra time to create your post/reply. Especially on the Internet, slang can cause problems for people. It's hard enough for some people to understand English if it is not their first langauge, introduce slang into the mix and you confuse them even more. That confusion or bad impression can cost a business money in lost sales.

As I said, I am only providing this information in the hopes that you take notice and learn from it, because it will benefit you. The best feedback you can have about something like this is where you are going wrong and how you can improve on it.
    You make some very good points.
    "You donít learn to hack, you hack to learn"

Ok, maybe you can tell i've never done this before yes I did install antivirus software on some of the system's Adam. I used to make sure that everything was in order from the firewall system to the hardware. Yes i am capable of doing cPanel updates although i wasnt very confident undergoing this at the time. I personally have never worked with Apache but I am willing to learn. Wullie I really like the way you constructively criticise me I actually really appreciate it, thank you

2 years experience in managing dedicated servers
    It's why I asked in the first place. Managing dedicated servers but not at all familiar with Apache, and uncomfortable even with Cpanel updates. Your odds of being taken on and taught/trusted depend largely with your honesty and experience, in my opinion.
    I felt here that you stretched the truth just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by InCheck Adam J
    I don't think you should underestimate 14 year olds, I have an Uncle with a PHD in a software related field and he got me into very basic text based programming at 7 and by 14 I knew a lot, now I am a senior in Electrical Engineering and have written my own OS, Java to C++ compiler, and designed my own ALU and sent it out for fabrication(Classes in that order were CSE421, CSE305, CSE497). I know that looks like Computer Engineering but I was originally going to get both degrees until I decided on a masters so I put alot of my Technical Electives in CEN.

Your off to a great start, and I am sure if you work hard at this you will be successful, especially starting at such a young age. Not sure you would fit in right with us but drop me an email and we can talk.
    dude, did you read what he ask? "You were managing dedicated servers at age 12? In what capacity?"

in what capacity... basically he is asking what he do with the servers.

...i think a lot of you need to learn some basic reading skills.

Or he wasn't working with nix/Cpanel, there are others out there, honestly.

in no way have I stretched the truth here, i would like to see how you came to that conclusion.

and uncomfortable even with Cpanel updates.
    Maybe so, but this also means I am not capable of managing cPanel or something? I think not, I just said I wasnt totally comfortable with it but if someone was to give me A CHANCE then im pretty sure I can learn

And Jt2337 go learn some basic reading skills?? Im pretty comfortable with my reading skills I was making sure that I had understood what he meant by capacity, just think where capacity could come into web hosting, loads isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377
    dude, did you read what he ask? "You were managing dedicated servers at age 12? In what capacity?"

in what capacity... basically he is asking what he do with the servers.

...i think a lot of you need to learn some basic reading skills.
    Try reading the rest of the posts, we went over that part already a few times.
    Adam J. Thompson
    [email protected]

And Jt2337 go learn some basic reading skills?? Im pretty comfortable with my reading skills I was making sure that I had understood what he meant by capacity, just think where capacity could come into web hosting, loads isn't there?
    Before this gets out of hand with everyone accusing someone else for no reason, read what he posted. His post was not directed at you.

Thorny I agree you do desire a chance to do something with someone, but you need to understand what it means to be a performance box. My business partner is a network administrator for FedEx and they have a wall full of servers that are only used to test updates before they actually do them on performance boxes. It is very important to maintain maximum possible uptime for a companies image. When he updates our servers it is not the first time he is installing that update. He already knows what is going to happen. This may not always be the case when a problem happens but it does help prevent a lot of mistakes in the long run. Just giving you a chance and hoping it works is really not a smart move for a company. Try finding some low end websites that don't mind some downtime and host them in exchange for them paying your server bill. Then you can learn all the server management with apache and cPanel(or equivalent systems) before applying for a job on a larger scale company. Also I am sure there are plenty of knockoff companies that would welcome your server enthusiasm and let you do things other people might consider not professional.
    Adam J. Thompson
    [email protected]

I can see what your getting at Adam, but I dont recall ever saying that I wanted to work with servers again I just said that I wanted some experience in web hosting be it just selling or upkeep of servers, like I said from post #1 I just really want some experience

in no way have I stretched the truth here, i would like to see how you came to that conclusion.
    From these words?
    i have 2 years experience in managing dedicated servers
    You were not managing them yourself. You were present as they were being managed, and only later became involved at all.

Maybe so, but this also means I am not capable of managing cPanel or something? I think not, I just said I wasnt totally comfortable with it but if someone was to give me A CHANCE then im pretty sure I can learn

capacity:

The power to learn or retain knowledge; mental ability.

http://www.answers.com/capacity

...dude...

More this one, actually:
    The position in which one functions; role: in your capacity as sales manager.

I have seen plenty of 14 years old make people twice their age feel stupid. I'm currently in Highschool where some of my friends attend FBLA Club(Future Bussiness. Leaders of America). Some of them have pretty good darn businesses. NEVER underestimate someone who is under 18. Thorny does have some grammical/spelling issues but that can all be fixed. Half the kids in my honor class chat in "lazy type" on AIM,MSN, ETC so I can conclude that he might do this on a messageboard. Those same kids turn in magnificent essays and reports.

Thorny, keep learning and working hard. Starting now gives you a advantage over most people.

Good luck

That is very true, younger people are getting smarter and smarter now-a-days, but remember high school is still not a college education so thats not true in all fields of study. In example, I would quickly underestimate someone under 18 years old if they were trying to give me Electrical Engineering advice, or Computer Engineering. Since 99.999% of all people under 18 years old do not have the capacity or experience to be trained in such high level things. I have noticed as growing older, that the more I know, the more I don't know. Just in Electrical Engineering alone you can choose from 5 or 6 areas for a bachelors alone, not to mention each of those breaks into 100 different Masters programs and those into 100 PhD programs.

I think people also need to remember that there are a lot of people who used to be really smart at 14-18 range that are 21-30 now and those are the type of people who are on this site. You can't tell me you won't be smarter when you finish a few years of college right? If you wouldn't be there would be no point in going to school.

PS I know alot of people that are twice 14 that anyone can make look stupid.
    Adam J. Thompson
    [email protected]

More this one, actually:
    basically, you want to know what he know and somehow these youngster turn it into some kind of bashing because they simply didn't understand or have trouble with reading other's post. It's not like you're teen bashing or anything but somehow...that's how it turn out with comment like "don't underestimate childern"...etc.

i don't see a single comment bashing teen and yet somehow someone's comment got turn into that.
    Last edited by jt2377; 11-19-2005 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InCheck Adam J
    I have noticed as growing older, that the more I know, the more I don't know. Just in Electrical Engineering alone you can choose from 5 or 6 areas for a bachelors alone, not to mention each of those breaks into 100 different Masters programs and those into 100 PhD programs.
    Yeah, in school you know something about everything, then you go to college, where you know loads about a few things, then you do a PhD at which point you know almost everything about something, and finally you become a manager, knowing absolutly everything about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by irminority
    I have seen plenty of 14 years old make people twice their age feel stupid. I'm currently in Highschool where some of my friends attend FBLA Club(Future Bussiness. Leaders of America). Some of them have pretty good darn businesses. NEVER underestimate someone who is under 18. Thorny does have some grammical/spelling issues but that can all be fixed. Half the kids in my honor class chat in "lazy type" on AIM,MSN, ETC so I can conclude that he might do this on a messageboard. Those same kids turn in magnificent essays and reports.

Thorny, keep learning and working hard. Starting now gives you a advantage over most people.

Good luck
    That's a great organization. I am a member and a local officer and have attended several state leadership conferences and have won in competitions. I have met some of the most intelligent teenagers in the world through this organization. Yes, the ordinary teenager is probably not capable of managing servers, but if they show interest - it shows that they are a little extraordinary in their own way.

I agree with your points on the way students speak online. They often tend to use grammatical errors in emails and on IM. There are those who can produce excellent essays. However, when posting on a forum like this, it is necessary to use proper grammar especially when you are looking for a employment opportunity.

So looking at how it is no one is interested in taking me on?

Thoughts

I don't run a hosting company so you can disregard this comment if you don't like the contents ;-)

My main problem would be if you were someone I would be able to trust.
    How well do I know this person? Is there an easy way to get a hold of them in an emergency (such as making a change I wasn't familiar with)? Since this is a post on a forum, if you were hired 'officially,' I wouldn't be able to fully trust that you wouldn't flame a customer, or even hack my server if I provided you enough access. I don't have any reason to say you WOULD do this, just that I don't know you well enough to say you wouldn't... how would my customers regard me if I knew that I allowed a 14 year old that I do not know to handle my tech support questions? What if they had previously provided a credit card number via tech support?

I don't want to be too negative though... many of us were 14 year olds who liked computers at one point :-)

I would recommend that you post using your name on a variety of different technical forums. If you want experience and show some depth of knowledge, many people will gladly give you their login info. to debug issues they are having (although I can't say that's a very smart practice!). Also, some hosts may be willing to provide you with a login to their forum if you get up high enough, just to provide tips for their customers.

Other ways to get more experience would be to beg your parents to get you a shared or virtual account (hell, even set one up from your home computer).

To give you an idea, I hosted my own website from a DSL line with a static IP for fun. I thought I would be unprepared when I applied to work for a hosting company years ago in tech support. I used their demo control panel to get an idea of what they were giving to customers, and it turns out I knew way more than I needed to. If you do the same, you'll likely find that you can find a tech support position at a company pretty easily -- ISPs all need them, and there's a very high turnover rate (you will, of course, realize you're overqualified and hate every second of that !@# customer you're talking to).

PS. While I wouldn't expect a 14-year-old to be 100% literate, I would want my customers to have an excellent experience and that would certainly detract from it! I wouldn't worry so much about your grammar on a forum (I'm not double checking my grammar anyway), but not understanding what Bear was asking from his post would be concerning, and not being able to elaborate on it as well, does show that it takes 3 posts to get the necessary information. In tech support, it is very important to be able to understand customers and literally extract the information you need to solve the problem from their less-than-technically-oriented brains ;-)

Here's one thing I didn't think about before, don't you have to be 18 to enter into a legal contract in America? Because any company based entirely on the web would require you to sign nondisclosure agreements and some sort of contract.
    Adam J. Thompson
    [email protected]

One of the ways I see it is that number one everyone has to start somewhere. First and foremost I would read, read, read, and read more. Read every book about IT you come accross it is an amazing and complex field. It is clear you have the drive and you want to work hard but most people are a little weary in giving someone of your age a spot in their business where you would be one on one with the customers right away. Why not try this instead; instead of jumping into a business and start out in sales/support why not have someone, for a lack of a better phrase, take you under their wing and help to show you some of the things that you may not feel comfortable with or may not know yet. If you can find someone that can take a little time and help you become more adept in the aspects of a career in the IT field then in my opinion that would be better than asking to be put into the sales/support system right off. I am sure these fine people would be more at ease if you asked for something along these lines than to be shoved into a position right off.

taking that post into consideration, i feel that yes i shall ask someone to SHOW me things, and how things work, rather than just letting me join straight up, thank you sdevaney great advice and certainly taken into account.

So my new plead....
    Would any one be willing enough to "take me under their wing" and show me the things i'm not very comfortable with, who knows maybe we can grow a relationship and build up trust to finally get me into a Web Hosting job or even into your own All offers will be greatly appreciated

I don't run a hosting company so you can disregard this comment if you don't like the contents ;-)
    You seem to be quite experienced even though you don't run a hosting company.

Nice job there with your post, you basically summed up what I was going to say
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast