Concurrent connections Win 2003 Standard

Hi,

We have a Win 2003 Standard dedicated server running IIS6. I have set up a folder with Windows authentication so users accessing this special area are prompted for a username and password.

What is my limit on concurrent connections here? We only have basic licensing (I think we have unauthenticated version). I seemed to think I had a limit of five connections at any time, but I have done a test from seven machines.

Is there no limit? The 'Licensing' applet in the control panel has '9999' for connections, but is greyed out.

Do I need to worry? I am sure we would not need more than 10 or 20, but I want to be able to tell our customers and my manager that we can have hundreds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks,
    Mat G
    Birmingham, UK

I'm fairly certain there isn't a hardcoded limit, just a resource limit in what your hardware can support. One way to test this is you can use a benchmarking tool such as jmeter and using the guidelines here, you could test for yourself to see how many connections your server can handle before connections start getting dropped.

-cameron

There is no limit. Unless you use WinXP Pro or Win2000 Pro to host your website then yes, there is a limit on the IIS.

Windows server does not have limit. Only desktop Windows that come with IIS for developing purpose.

The approach you describe works, but you would be better off with an ISAPI authentication filter. There are few around, this is one http://www.dafweb.com/daf30/

Try a bit of googling. We wrote our own to fit our own specs (sorry, it's not for sale).
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

Windows 2003 Standard comes with 5 CALs (client access licenses) at any given time this means that 5 "users" can have access at any given time.... this does not apply to viewing a web page or that type of thing. But i do think it will effect windows authentication since actual windows users are "connecting" I believe this is also true for networks shares and some applications..... whether its enforced there I do not know but to be legal you do need CALs (you'd need to read license info to determine this)

Terminal Services CALs are different than just plain Windows CALs, so they do not intertwine.

Windows 2000 Advanced server comes with 25 CALs builtin
    Windows 2003 Enterprise server comes with 25 CALs builtin
    Windows 2000 server standard - 5 CALs
    Windows 2003 Standard/Web/Business - 5 CALs

The above is from memory, I could be wrong.... my suggestion would to be look up microsoft licensing or even visit a local bookstore/library for a hour or so and grab one of their books on the topic.

CAL doesn't tie to IIS. IIS have nothing to do with CALs.

i think there is a lot of misunderstanding about Windows liscensing. i don't blame you guys tho because it's Microsoft's own falut to created this type of liscening. in short IIS does not have any restriction unless you use desktop windows IIS.