Basic server admin required

Hi,

I have a Fasthosts dedicated server and have just purchased a Helm license so I can administer the server without too much technical knowledge.

However, Helm requires that MS FTP server and MS SMTP server are installed on the server. They are, but currently my server is using Matrix FTP and Matrix SMTP by default.

I have the following instructions from Fasthosts as to how to switch the default and disable Matrix services, but I'm totally unconfident of doing so without breaking anything (I have absolutely no experience in running a dedicated system):

You are free to disable the Matrix components. The full instructions on disabling the Matrix control panel on a Windows operating system are as follows:

-------------
    Stop and Disable the following services from the Windows Control Panel:
    matrixftp
    matrixmailguardian
    matrixmailmessage
    matrixpop3
    matrixsmpt
    matrixwebadmin

Once these have been disabled restart the server.

Once the server has been restarted either rename(recommended) or delete(not recommended) the C:\Program Files\Matrix folder.

As MatrixSMTP was setup on Port 25, you will need to reconfigure IIS to use either the Microsoft SMTP or a third party service.
    ------------------

Obviously, this disables all services so you would need to pick only those items from these instructions that you actually want to disable.

Please note that if you encounter any problems with doing this or with using the server's non Matrix services, to investigate these issues, this would most likely involve our Personal Engineer Service charge of £60+VAT per half house to investigate these matters, as not using the Matrix services is out of the scope of our standard supported features so any changes you made would usually require a full investigation on the server.

That said you do have full access to the server using either the remote desktop or alternative java remote control so should be able to fix most issues yourself.

I really can't afford to pay £60+ for something like this, which I'm sure will only take an experienced administrator 10mins, so would someone be able to help me out? I'd be willing to pay for your time, and can probably offer some regular maintenance work if the relationship is good.

Hoping someone can help me out here!

Thanks...
    Last edited by danwednesday; 11-17-2005 at 08:59 AM.

1. just purchased a Helm license so I can administer the server without too much technical knowledge.
    First of all, control panel is great help but it doesn't mean that you won't require to have technical knowledge or else people will not hire a System Engineer and Administrators like me.
    Most cases it just web based stuffs of what you do in console mode.
    2. I am an unixexperts so I can't take this project.
    Regards, Rumi
    www.unixexperts.co.uk
    Expert in Server Administration, Network Administration, Server Optimization, Security Audit, Kernel Upgrades and Troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Using Helm will enable me to do more than I can without it, for sure.

Thanks anyhow.

Yes, indeed but that doesn't mean you dont need a system knowledge.

well hope some windows admin will help u son for unix problems i'm here.
    Regards, Rumi
    www.unixexperts.co.uk
    Expert in Server Administration, Network Administration, Server Optimization, Security Audit, Kernel Upgrades and Troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by rumi
    Yes, indeed but that doesn't mean you dont need a system knowledge..
    Hence me asking for help...

This is a simple change, I will do it for $10 or less. PM me or message me on aim: linux admn

Joe

I can setup your windows 2003 server with HELM. PM/IM me if interested

Hi guys,

His problem is resolved , our team did it for him

Hello,

If need any work for future - we can help.

Best Regards,
    Dmitry.

Remote Admin Service