* Windows Server Recommendations

Hi,

Can you please recommended the servers for following softwares will be installed:

1. Windows 2003 standard edition
    2. MS DNS and MS FTP server.
    3. Smarter Mail Server
    4. Helm Control Panel
    5. MySql and Ms SQL Server
    6. IIS Web server.
    7. Webalizer Statics Software.
    8. PHP, Perl and some standard componets like ASP mail, ASP upload, CDONTS etc..

An example is below which will go in the start and later ofcourse server can be upgrade:

1. Current Domains will be 100
    2. Disk Space 2500 MB
    3. Data Transfer 15 GB per month

Any best Recommendations for Server specificaiton in the start?

Thanks,
    Raza

Hello Raza,

Are you sure you need a dedicated server for this much space and BW ? With all that installed its gonna be pricy if its only for you. Just with the fees for mssql, and standard server you are looking at some serious $$

Perhaps a colocation would be better with your own server.
    Reseller-Network.Com
    Hsphere, DirectAdmin, or Helm. Windows 2003 & Unix Reseller,Shared,and Dedicated Hosting.
    *Multi-Homed* *Usage-Based* *Adult Content Allowed*

Yes I need dadicated server as Colocation will be cost me more as I am out side of US.

I do have MsSQl licencess and I think there will not any issue from datacneter to install it as I have valid licencess. Is there will be any policy with datacnter for MS SQL?

I am just considor to which server will be best. I mean hardware like P4, dual with how much ram etc.. will be best in the start.

Well MSSQL is definatrely a memory hog, so install as much as possble.

I would think with the low usage you could get away with a P4 no problem.

You should look into SPLA from microsoft if you intend on offering hosting, as you will have to pay a monthly fee for this(mssql) as well.

You could build this server in a 1u case for way less than a 1000 $ and then just ship it to a low cost datacenter and pay for say a 1u spave and most will come with enough bandwidth for you, as well as be less than $50-75 a month, so over the long haul it will be way less expensive.
    Reseller-Network.Com
    Hsphere, DirectAdmin, or Helm. Windows 2003 & Unix Reseller,Shared,and Dedicated Hosting.

Thank you for your reply.

Will My Sql will be ok on same server or....?

For colocaiton I have idea as it is cheeper then the dedecated server just one time coast for buying server but the problem is if in any case the server will be down there then I dont have any way to make all of them live untile ship the new server to data cnter. What do you say?

I would think then a low-cost dedicated server may be more what you are looking for.

Look for a windows dedicated server then just install your mssql and other products remotely; will work fine. Make sure you have a backup plan in place, either a seperate drive or better yet a off-network backup.

You'll want to run backups at least once daily if databases are involved. More frequently if you are running ecommerce solutions. Don't want to lose any orders :-(

Just find a dedicated provider you feel comfortable with; that provides Windows OS on the box, and you should be fine.

Also to regards to the com objects you specified, most are free. Cdonts can be made to work with 2003, but a more viable solution would be cdosys.

Good luck in your venture.
    Reseller-Network.Com