100% uptime SLA hosts - recommendations please

Hi,

I am in need of a host that provides a 100% uptime guarantee, that isn't $2/GB (i.e. NOT rackspace).

I've heard good things about voxel.net and they are in NYC which is a plus. But they are roughly 30cents per GB. Just wondering if anyone knows of any other providers with high quality BW.

Dual Xeon 2.4ghz or better
    2GB RAM
    Dual 200GB hard drives
    RAID 1
    Linux or FreeBSD (linux preferred)
    3000GB/mo minimum on a 100Mbit line

Uptime guarantee would impose free month of services for 10 continuous downtime minutes.

If anyone has heard of voxel or another provider please list them here. Thanks guys!

lol.. the first name comes to my mind is rackspace, but you are saying NOT rackspace. Dont expect an excellent network with cheap price. Most of providers guarantee 99.9% network uptime, cause they still have maintenance time, but I guess you can still live with it

i think 1800hosting guarantees 100% uptime.

can give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by scanale
    Remember these two things:
    2. A 100% network up time SLA does not guarantee you that the network will never go down. It just promises to compensate you (or give you a credit) for downtime experienced as a result of an outage.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell

Alot of companies have 100% SLA's but not all have 100% uptime.. Big difference..

LxMxFxD: I don't know of any company that would give you a free month for '10 minutes' of downtime..

100% Uptime

Most providers will also have a clause excluding scheduled or emergency maintainennce work from the SLA calculation. Every host knows hardware fails, software can be buggy, acts of God can ruin your Sunday, no-one (with a sane business plan) will offer 100% server availability SLA with anything more than token penalty, unless they are at the high-end of the market.
    Last edited by Infinix; 11-16-2005 at 01:14 PM.
    Damian | i n f i n i x | Are you a hosting refugee?

Quote Originally Posted by Infinix
    Most providers will also have a clause excluding scheduled or emergency maintainennce work from the SLA calculation. Every host knows hardware fails, software can be buggy, acts of God can ruin your Sunday, no-one (with a sane business plan) will offer 100% server availability SLA with anything more than token penalty, unless they are at the high-end of the market.
    That is if god exists

Fact of the matter is, if a company claims act of god against you, you sue both that company, and the church - one of the two will have to pay up as either it was God (hence church pays), or not God (company pays). Just like in the Billie Connoly film which was based on a true story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fernandez
    That is if god exists

Fact of the matter is, if a company claims act of god against you, you sue both that company, and the church - one of the two will have to pay up as either it was God (hence church pays), or not God (company pays). Just like in the Billie Connoly film which was based on a true story.

that would be based on the presumption the church controlled God. About the only way you'd have that fly is if they had a toddler for a lawyer defending them.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph1
    that would be based on the presumption the church controlled God. About the only way you'd have that fly is if they had a toddler for a lawyer defending them.
    Actually no, Church are Gods representivies on Earth, as such if God is sued, they would be liable (unless the court rules God is liable - in which case the money etc is still in hands on church).

BUT this is WAY off topic now.

Uptime guarantee would impose free month of services for 10 continuous downtime minutes
    Ha, good luck finding that.

Unfortunately, to the OP, as stated, unless you're willing to pay for it, you're not going to get it. How is the company expected to be able to account for compensating clients, when in the case you're giving, you're not willing to put up the funds to do so. If you need 100% uptime, it could exist, but to do so, you'd probably have to host services with multiple datacenters, providing redundancy for DNS, servers, sites, with instantaneous failover. Solutions that can give you a few ms of failover time, I've heard to run in the $15k + category monthly for the services. But then again, you do get what you pay for. Are you also going to be providing that same 100% uptime guarantee to your clients, whereupon your server being rebooted for a kernel upgrade extends them a free month of service? Network uptime also refers mainly to 100% packetloss of a network, so in many cases, there may be the ability to escape a clause if only heavy PL is experienced. In any case, ask your suggested providers for their SLA guarantees, and see if you're accepting of the terms, that's the best solution and hopefully you'll find what you're looking for.

Thanks,

In the UK, Gyron.net operate a 100% SLA (although I'd have to check my contract to find out what the compensation is).

In the almost 8 months we've taken transit from them, none of our 4 BGP sessions to them have dropped even once as a result of anything on their side. They use top notch hardware as well and so the combination of that and their network as well as 24/7 support isn't a bad thing in my opinion ;-)

Kris
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

Whenever this sort of discussion is thrown around, I can't help but to jump in.

You do get what you pay for and there are networks that don't go down. They are referenced, like everyone else is, by the use of 100% Uptime SLAs. But just because a provider SAYS they offer 100% uptime or are happy to send out credits each time they go down, that doesn't really solvew the problem of needing 100% uptime.

There are high-end colo providers such as RagingWire and HeraklesData who offer 99.999% uptime guarantees and produce a 100% uptime record. RagingWire, for example, has held 100% uptime for rhe last 4 years. HeraklesData has held 100% uptime for the last 3 1/2 years. We're talking never ever go down. Not power, not connectivity, not cooling either. Solid 100% for years and years. I'd say that places them in the 100% uptime category. Not sure if Rackspace's record, but they have a good reputation nonetheless. Those who say it isn't possible might not have witnessed a provider who's pulled it off. To my recollection, we've never issued a downtime credit (or needed to) mostly because we have floorspace at Herakles. So we're witness part and parcel to the network stability that CAN be achieved.

For a good read/visit, I would recommend you stop by: http://hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=3
    It's the only place I'm aware of that has a comparison of many many different dedicated server/colo providers and their actual network uptime percentages. Some have records of 100% uptime for over 6 months which really bucks a lot of trends and quiets a lot of arguments. This is not SLA Credit uptime - it is true unabashed network uptime as the report could really care less if you are working on some device. If they can't find you on the net, you are shown as down - plain and simple.

Sounds like real 100% network uptime is what you're after and believe it or not, it is possible without spending an arm and a leg. But you will not likely find budget providers in the 100% category. For good reason obviously. They simply target a different type of market.

I've never used www.simpli.biz (known as Simpli-Erica around WHT) or know what their uptime is like, but I do know they are based in California like we are and target the 100% market, such as yourself.

Good luck!
    Last edited by AQORN-Adam; 11-16-2005 at 09:06 PM.
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

I found Gyron very expensive, did you looked at coreix? I have two servers with them and never had a problem.
    Regards, Rumi
    www.unixexperts.co.uk
    Expert in Server Administration, Network Administration, Server Optimization, Security Audit, Kernel Upgrades and Troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by sagomatt
    Unfortunately, to the OP, as stated, unless you're willing to pay for it, you're not going to get it. How is the company expected to be able to account for compensating clients, when in the case you're giving, you're not willing to put up the funds to do so. If you need 100% uptime, it could exist, but to do so, you'd probably have to host services with multiple datacenters, providing redundancy for DNS, servers, sites, with instantaneous failover. Solutions that can give you a few ms of failover time, I've heard to run in the $15k + category monthly for the services. But then again, you do get what you pay for. Are you also going to be providing that same 100% uptime guarantee to your clients, whereupon your server being rebooted for a kernel upgrade extends them a free month of service? Network uptime also refers mainly to 100% packetloss of a network, so in many cases, there may be the ability to escape a clause if only heavy PL is experienced. In any case, ask your suggested providers for their SLA guarantees, and see if you're accepting of the terms, that's the best solution and hopefully you'll find what you're looking for.

Thanks,
    I would expect this kind of a response from a company that recently had 27 hours of continuous downtime.

But seriously, Im not talking about downtime due to a reboot of a kernel upgrade. I'm talking about network uptime, non power failure, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CALHOST-Adam
    Whenever this sort of discussion is thrown around, I can't help but to jump in.

You do get what you pay for and there are networks that don't go down. They are referenced, like everyone else is, by the use of 100% Uptime SLAs. But just because a provider SAYS they offer 100% uptime or are happy to send out credits each time they go down, that doesn't really solvew the problem of needing 100% uptime.

There are high-end colo providers such as RagingWire and HeraklesData who offer 99.999% uptime guarantees and produce a 100% uptime record. RagingWire, for example, has held 100% uptime for rhe last 4 years. HeraklesData has held 100% uptime for the last 3 1/2 years. We're talking never ever go down. Not power, not connectivity, not cooling either. Solid 100% for years and years. I'd say that places them in the 100% uptime category. Not sure if Rackspace's record, but they have a good reputation nonetheless. Those who say it isn't possible might not have witnessed a provider who's pulled it off. To my recollection, we've never issued a downtime credit (or needed to) mostly because we have floorspace at Herakles. So we're witness part and parcel to the network stability that CAN be achieved.

For a good read/visit, I would recommend you stop by: http://hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=3
    It's the only place I'm aware of that has a comparison of many many different dedicated server/colo providers and their actual network uptime percentages. Some have records of 100% uptime for over 6 months which really bucks a lot of trends and quiets a lot of arguments. This is not SLA Credit uptime - it is true unabashed network uptime as the report could really care less if you are working on some device. If they can't find you on the net, you are shown as down - plain and simple.

Sounds like real 100% network uptime is what you're after and believe it or not, it is possible without spending an arm and a leg. But you will not likely find budget providers in the 100% category. For good reason obviously. They simply target a different type of market.

I've never used www.simpli.biz (known as Simpli-Erica around WHT) or know what their uptime is like, but I do know they are based in California like we are and target the 100% market, such as yourself.

Good luck!
    Awesome, this is exactly the kind of post I was waiting for! Thanks a ton adam.

And a 99.999% uptime guarantee is what, less than 1 minute down per month. That'd be fine

And just to clarify to everyone - what I am looking for is NETWORK/infrastructure uptime. Not kernel upgrades, not server hardware failures, etc.

I'm still laughing at sagomatt's statement that it'll cost me $15,000

Quote Originally Posted by LxMxFxD
    Awesome, this is exactly the kind of post I was waiting for! Thanks a ton adam.

And a 99.999% uptime guarantee is what, less than 1 minute down per month. That'd be fine

And just to clarify to everyone - what I am looking for is NETWORK/infrastructure uptime. Not kernel upgrades, not server hardware failures, etc.

I'm still laughing at sagomatt's statement that it'll cost me $15,000
    What you've asked for, and that is "Uptime guarantee would impose free month of services for 10 continuous downtime minutes." Is far different than providing a 100% uptime network SLA where for 10 minutes of downtime would credit you a free month of services.

Striving for 100% uptime as everyone does is one thing, however applying a 100% credit for a period of downtime is another. Be sure to read the fine print and what the guarantees imply as you'll certainly find more 5 and 10% per hour of downtime credits than 100% credit for a few minutes.

I don't run a datacenter but from what I understand that during a downtime because of downed equipment would already mean that the datacenter would need to incur additional cost in repairing or replacing the equipment. Such downtime is inevitable because nothing last forever. Above and beyond that, they need to waive the entire month income because of a 10 minutes they take to go do the replacement ?

If the datacenter needs to do that and risk so much, I don't see how the datacenter is able to make money and stay afloat.

Like Matt said, every datacenter would strive for 100% uptime. Quite a number of datacenters which offers less than a 100% uptime network SLA are actually providing 100% uptime. They need to cover themselves if the network goes down because of something beyond their control.

Remember to read the fine prints, some may explicitly mention 100% uptime guarantee but somewhere in the clause would exclude a lot of instances in which you can claim.

One should be prepared for some kind of downtime once in a blue moon, scheduled or unscheduled but as long as the datacenter staffs do their best to ensure that the issue is fixed as fast as possible, you cannot fault them.

If your business is so vital that nothing less than 100% uptime is required then you should plan your infrastructure to include some failover mitigation mechanism to ensure that access to your sites get switchover to another server when one server face certain issues.

and I want a pretty, naturally pink poney....