2 Mail Servers and second is full of spam

I use a third party DNS records with 2 MX records.

MX #1 points to server 1 with a MX record of 10
    MX #2 poits to server 2 with a MX of record 50.

When I check the email on server 2 is is full of SPAM, and only SPAM. If server #1 has never gone off line, why does spam go to server 2?

My first guess is that the spam is originating from server #2 and thus when it is sent it simply stays 'internal' within the server. Server #2 is on a shared hosting box.

Any other thoughts?

I'm not understanding your situation... both the MX servers you've listed can both receive mail separately?

Typically, MX records are used to "backup" mail. When the primary MX goes down, the e-mails are "queued" (rather than delivered), and they are delivered when the primary MX returns.

Regardless, I think I noticed a similar situation with my e-mail redundancy setup. I had all sorts of spam countermeasures on my main, primary MX--but most of these were not installed on my backup MXes. Smarter spam robots apparently would get rejected by the primary, but when connected to the secondary, would accept e-mail because of lack of adequate spam countermeasure. My configuration had backup MXes as "trusted" so my primary mail server would blindly receive spam from the backups.

Spammers love backup MX servers unfortunately

If a domain has more than one MX in the dns it's likely the spammers will favour the lower priority ones because many systems are setup with a lower amount of spam protection on the backup mx and by sending to this, the email will be accepted then forwarded on with a higher chance of the spam getting through spam filters.
    Clook Internet - www.clook.net
    Fully managed UK based webhosting provider
    Est 2002, 24/7 phone support, all the bells and whistles!