Thread: Reverse DNS?

Question Reverse DNS?

If I'm migrating a site between hosts, do I need to ask the new host to set up reverse DNS entries? Do most do it automatically when you sign up for an account? Presumably, it's not something that can be done via a normal account control panel, correct?

Also, if the domain uses 3rd-party mail servers, those parties are responsible for any reverse DNS entries, right? I shouldn't have to change those when migrating DNS entries?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

AFAIK the only entity that can do reverse DNS is the owner of the net block, which
    is usually the ISP or upstream provider. While it can be delegated, that delegation
    is harder to do than just putting in an entry.

Talk to your ISP. A registrar or DNS service can't do it because they don't own the
    netblock delegation.

So it's the host's ISP that I have to contact? How do I even figure out who that is?

Quote Originally Posted by avocado
    So it's the host's ISP that I have to contact? How do I even figure out who that is?
    Your ISP, from my first post.

This link can give a few more tips, although it's essentially the same:

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=426265&

Do I only need reverse DNS for mail servers? I guess I"m not clear on what my ISP would have to do with my web hosting DNS -- unless I'd have to get every ISP in the world to set up reverse DNS..... [head spinning]

Thanks for being so patient with me!

Oh, wait, you mean I have to contact the data center responsible for each IP address (as opposed to the ISP which allows me to connect to the internet)?

Quote Originally Posted by davezan
    AFAIK the only entity that can do reverse DNS is the owner of the net block, which
    is usually the ISP or upstream provider. While it can be delegated, that delegation
    is harder to do than just putting in an entry.

Talk to your ISP. A registrar or DNS service can't do it because they don't own the
    netblock delegation.
    Actually its possible with some network setups to allow the end user of dedi server to do thier own RDNS. And some hosts also have this functionality in thier main client cp.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fernandez
    Actually its possible with some network setups to allow the end user of dedi server to do thier own RDNS. And some hosts also have this functionality in thier main client cp.
    Just to follow this up.
    We are with Liquid Web and they have this feature built into their PIMS system.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

How does one go about identifying the net block owner?

contact your hosting provider as they will KNOW what goes thru their DC

contact your hosting provider as they will KNOW what goes thru their DC