Thread: Control Panel??

Question Control Panel??

"Cpanel/WHM or Plesk"

Which is the most prefered control panel that resellers and clients would want to use?

Which is more accessible in terms of changing account options?
    (ie: mysql, pop, cgi access)
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research."

WHM at your end, CPanel at the clients....
    CPanel is in general faster and easier to use than Plesk, hence making less support questions relating to control panel tasks
    http://www.boredomkillers.com - Boredom Killers: Coming Soon. Never be bored again!

Definitely WHM/CPanel for the added extra goodies and functional control panels, shopping carts etc.... you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps.

You get what you pay for? How much is CPanel these days? And a reseller doesn't pay for the control panel........
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

CPanel costs between US$50 - US$99 per month per server.

Thats what we pay - The client / reseller just pays the monthly fee for their plan.

It's a great tool - much better in my view than plesk or other CP's out at the moment for sheer functionality and ease of use for both host and client.

Hope that clears that up.
    Last edited by StevenG; 04-22-2002 at 04:03 PM.

Plesk learning curve is actually not that high, few minutes of fiddling will make you a Plesk Expert. Plesk gets my vote here. I can't understand why Cpanel is charging 100USD per month. That's a lot of overhead. I would prefer the one time payment type from Plesk.

And BTW here is an article on Plesk, Ensim and CPanel:
    http://www.hostingtech.com/hs/01_11_panel.html

According to them CPanel gets slow when the load is high.

Joe

I guess it's if you want to have shopping carts etc available to your clients via a CPanel or just want them to have ftp access to upload files to a server.

I think the latter option is handled well by webmin and that is free.

I always prefer Cpanel/WHM out of

- Alabanza's DSM
    - Plesk
    - Ensim
    - Sphera
    - Webmin etc...

Still I've to compare this with hostgui which is going to launch by this end of April

Originally posted by joethong
    Plesk learning curve is actually not that high, few minutes of fiddling will make you a Plesk Expert. Plesk gets my vote here. I can't understand why Cpanel is charging 100USD per month. That's a lot of overhead. I would prefer the one time payment type from Plesk.

And BTW here is an article on Plesk, Ensim and CPanel:
    http://www.hostingtech.com/hs/01_11_panel.html

According to them CPanel gets slow when the load is high.

Joe
    Thanks for the article citation. But the server load issue seems, well, a bit stretched since the simulated server load was cranked up to 80%! That is huge...if I had that kind of processor load, I'd say it's time for an upgrade. To further muddy the waters, the author of the article did say, "The product (i.e., Cpanel and WHM) might be worth the added cost, as testing proved it to be the clear winner in the ease-of-use category."

I'd conclude that Cpanel is the way to go (I don't use it...yet) unless you're running a old, tired processor, and/or you have an overloaded server.

How Sphera and psoft's H-Sphere rank is up for grabs, though I've read elsewhere that Sphera's overhead, i.e., server load, is way too high.