Unmetered Bandwith????

I have a DJ / Music website with 11,000+ members at TJsDJs.com. We offer DJs new music for download (with permission from the record companies). I'm also about to start streaming video too. My site is currently hosted on a dedicated server at liquidweb.com, but I keep going over my allowed bandwith and my site seems like it's getting real slow.

Can you suggest a good host for my unmetered music/video streaming needs?

How hard will it be to change my site and all my scripts over to whatever new host I choose?

Thanks,

TJ Chapman

TJ's DJ's Record & CD Pool
    TJsDJs.com
    Last edited by TJsDJs; 11-14-2005 at 11:54 AM.

Nice website.

I take it it's on an unmetered bandwidth server/host or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Blapto
    Nice website.

I take it it's on an unmetered bandwidth server/host or something?
    It's metered right now and I'm being penalized for it ($$$$$$)...LOL!

Ah, there's actually a question there now you've edited your post, trying to make me look like a fool, eh?
    Just search these forums, and have a look in the deals in the dedicated hosting offers section.
    Migration isn't too much of an issue if you plan it well. A general idea is to freeze site development for a week or so, during that time copy over all the static stuff (if you've frozen the site that's everything apart from your databases), make your DNS TTL something low, after 24 hours put a static page up on your old site saying you're moving to a new server, then copy the databses over and have your DNS records point to the new IP address. Put a redirect on your old server to point to the new one. After another 72 hours you're pretty much safe to cancel the contract with liquidweb.

I would suggest servermatrix.com for unmetered kit.

Their prices may be steeper now but they've been solidly reliable for us (I direct a non-profit org which uses lots of bandwidth, and we've gone through a few providers).

Quote Originally Posted by TJsDJs
    I have a DJ / Music website with 11,000+ members at TJsDJs.com. We offer DJs new music for download (with permission from the record companies). I'm also about to start streaming video too. My site is currently hosted on a dedicated server at liquidweb.com, but I keep going over my allowed bandwith and my site seems like it's getting real slow.

How hard will it be to change my site and all my scripts over to whatever new host I choose?

Thanks,

TJ Chapman

TJsDJs.com

You have the record label's approval to put music that they are selling, up on your website for free downloads? I strongly doubt that.

I bet if you didn't offer pirated music, you wouldn't have troubles with going over your limit.

Don't understand how hosting cd singles of new songs, by artists, would be allowed by record labels like Universal and such...

http://www.tjsdjs.com/music/nelly/
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

ChrisTech, did you even read the site...

TJsDJs - you're charging $100/mo for membership, so surely you can afford to loadbalance a little? The site was extremely slow-loading for me, although that could also be due to the large images - take a look at that page for a breakdown of page size, and optimise the images.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTech
    You have the record label's approval to put music that they are selling, up on your website for free downloads? I strongly doubt that.

I bet if you didn't offer pirated music, you wouldn't have troubles with going over your limit.

Don't understand how hosting cd singles of new songs, by artists, would be allowed by record labels like Universal and such...
    I got that song straight out of the studio from Nelly before Universal even had it. I get paid $$$$ to do this stuff. I've had my business for 11+ years, I'm not some fly by night company! You can easily do a search in google for my name and my company to see how credible we are. I speak all over the country at conferences like Billboard. As a matter of fact, Billboard even quoted me several times on MP3 promotions in their press release. I've also been featured in national magazines like Source, XXL, Vibe, Down, Ozone, Urban Network (Music Industry Trade Mag) for what I do in the music industry. I forgot MTV too! I really don't think I'd get all this coverage for illegal activities!!!!

Check your info before you run off at the mouth!
    Last edited by TJsDJs; 11-14-2005 at 12:57 PM.

huge site doesnt load very fast at all for me
    www.Propurple.com - Propurple specialize in providing affordable linux based hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by vidahost
    ChrisTech, did you even read the site...

TJsDJs - you're charging $100/mo for membership, so surely you can afford to loadbalance a little? The site was extremely slow-loading for me, although that could also be due to the - take a look at that page for a breakdown of page size, and optimise the images.
    What do you mean when you say "loadbalance"?

Thanks,

TJ Chapman

TJsDJs.com
    Before you choose unmetered, you might want to look at how much bandwidth you're actually using and perhaps just choose another plan (or another metered plan somewhere else if your current host doesn't offer a higher bandwidth plan).

If your bandwidth usage varies wildly from month to month, then unmetered may be a good option for you... but if you're pretty consistent at a certain level, you might get a better deal by selecting a metered plan.

Exclamation

You might want to check your stats page, and then do some locking down of your directories, and hotlink patrol.

With folders such as this

http://www.tjsdjs.com/music/

Music 1
    Music 2
    Music 3

It's no wonder at all why you are running out of bandwidth. I would easily say you have a ton of people direct linking the files from your website.

Good that you do have permission, many people post here with sites that have music on them, that aren't. But, re-check your website, and close down those directories. Enable some hotlink protection.

Those directories are being googled.
    googled
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

there is no such a unmetered bandwith, trust me its all follish all costumer with high promises

Quote Originally Posted by horst
    there is no such a unmetered bandwith, trust me its all follish all costumer with high promises
    You're misinterpreting unmeterd to mean unlimited.

Unmetered = here's your allocation (say 10mbit/sec), do what you like with it.

Unlimited = honest, you can push through an unlimited amount.

Unfortunately, some hosts have devalued the "unmetered" term. For example, some 10Mb unmetered actually means 3.3TB on a higher speed port, so you can still go over.
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/

Thanks for the clarification. How do I protect my files from hotlinking?

If you have mod_rewrite installed you can use the following in your .htaccess, this will prevent hotlinking of images and mp3s.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?tjsdjs\.com/ [NC
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
    RewriteRule \.(jpe?g|gif|bmp|png|mp3|wav)$ images/nodownload.mp3 [L]
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Quote Originally Posted by horst
    unmetered mean they do not cap your bandwidth useages, for example, dedicated server like LT cap you at 1000 based on 10mbps port connection if you have it as unmetered then you are free to use the whole 10mbps as you wish even if you went over the allocated bandwidth, you will not be bill for the extra bw.

that's what unmetred mean. unmetered != unlimited.

I got that song straight out of the studio from Nelly before Universal even had it. I get paid $$$$ to do this stuff. I've had my business for 11+ years, I'm not some fly by night company! You can easily do a search in google for my name and my company to see how credible we are. I speak all over the country at conferences like Billboard. As a matter of fact, Billboard even quoted me several times on MP3 promotions in their press release. I've also been featured in national magazines like Source, XXL, Vibe, Down, Ozone, Urban Network (Music Industry Trade Mag) for what I do in the music industry. I forgot MTV too! I really don't think I'd get all this coverage for illegal activities!!!!

Check your info before you run off at the mouth!
    it sound like you have a budget to grow your website, i too suggest load balance, basically you have two servers hookup togher to dishout request/webpages to your visitors if one server is over burden with request from your website visitor the other server will take over and help ease the spike on request.

perhap you should get another server that is only do video streaming. that way your website won't get bogged down if you got a lot of people browsing the website while requesting the video.

you should talk to liquidweb (your current provider) first and see if they can set something up. that way it's easier to move your website since i it's all in the same datacenter.

Just out of curiosity, how much bandwidth do you use per month? It's possible you don't need unmetered, just a large amount.

Also, do you know what kind of port you're hooked up to? 100mb/s? 10mb/s?

What are you server specs as far as CPU, hard drive speed, and memory?

But I'd say load balancing with multiple servers would be the best idea. Get one server for the website (with no mp3s or videos on them), and another server that only has mp3s on it. That way, if a bunch of people are downloading a lot of mp3s, it won't really slow down your main site.