Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    435

    PayPal account not required for CC payment misleading

    I just noticed something today... when I placed a test order on my store and went to checkout with PayPal, it looked like I was being asked to provide a PayPal Login. I have my PayPal account set up so that people paying me aren't forced to create a userid. But the layout of the PayPal checkout screen seems confusing for the customer, as it gives the impression they will need to have a PayPal id to pay me.

    On the PayPal checkout screen, there are 2 buttons. The first one says CLICK HERE and is beside the text "Sign up for a free PayPal account now." The second button for CONTINUE is near the bottom of the checkout form, underneath a dialog for an existing PayPal user to enter their id and password. I wondered to myself where this so called "optional" requirement to have a paypal userid is... because to me it looks like you need to have a PayPal userid to proceed. When I clicked the button by the text stating "Sign up for a free PayPal account now", it took me to another screen where I could enter a credit card number and proceed with the order without appearing to need a PayPal userid.

    I am concerned that PayPal does not make it clear that users do not require a PayPal userid. I think people who go through this checkout might get turned off if they think they have to set up yet another userid, and having the text "Sign up for a free PayPal account now" certainly would suggest they need a userid to proceed.

    I think I'm going to setup another payment module instead .. maybe 2checkout (i know, i know-- lousy customer service) as despite many users complaining of their customer service they still seem to be in use alot. osCommerce (actually I am using creloaded) has a module for 2CO that integrates right into your web site and it looks far better than PayPal's integration. Right at the checkout screen on YOUR SITE, the customer enters their credit card number. This means you will need to get an SSL cert but still better than being redirected to PayPal and risk people changing their mind about placing an order.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    435
    On second thought.. screw 2checkout. I have been spending the last several hours researching, and I am really discouraged by all the complaints against them. The negative really seems to outweigh the positive. I don't feel comfortable supporting any company with such a poor customer service reputation.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,357
    Customer service is slow at 2Checkout. Often longer then a week and they have closed a ticket out on me after 4 days to tell me to contact them if the issue is still there :-s

    I noticed that with PayPal about it not being clear. It might be worth you putting some instructions on your site before they click through and explain to them where to click if they do not have an ID.

    I tried making a few payments with a cc at paypal with out an account and on the 3rd payment they then required me to register to allow the card to work.
    -- Matthew

  4. #4
    Stay away from 2CO:

    I used them briefly (2-3 mo's) and had the WORST experience: they would constantly flag payments as fraudulent, after these orders were shipped. I would have to fight for them to reverse these trans. CS is impossible to deal with they ran me in circles for 4 months before I could access my remaining balance and cancel the account. They Suck!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    43
    I think there are alternatives.. I surfed also a bit :-)

    I found that you can apply for :
    * Clickbank : they accept credit cards AND paypal payments (you don't need a Paypal account!!)
    * CCNow : they accept credit cards AND paypal payments (you don't need a Paypal account!!)

    Don't know them though :-(

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    33
    be safe. grab a merchant account with authnet. oscommerce supports that as well. http://ubcnow.com is where I go.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    152
    I didn't know you could use Paypal to accept credit card without them having a pp account. How do you set it up to do this?
    Big Wow Web Hosting
    Cheap and Reliable Shared and Reseller Hosting
    •99.9% Uptime •MailScanner •Free Setup and Sitebuilder •Plesk, cPanel or DirectAdmin
    •Fast, Secure Servers •Great Free Extras •100% White Label

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    33
    you have to have a premier account I think it's called. It's one level up from a basic account, just requires you to confirm address and bank account and you are good to go.

  9. Clickbank are a gateway for downloadable products, not a payment gateway.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    255
    I didn't know you could use Paypal to accept credit card without them having a pp account. How do you set it up to do this?
    If you have a Premier or Business account, you can enable the Account Optional checkout for your customers:

    - Log in to your PayPal account
    - Click on "Profile"
    - Click on "Website Payment Preferences"
    - Scroll down to the "PayPal Account Optional" section and set it to "On"
    - Click "Save" at the bottom of the page


    PayPal Account Optional is available for Premier and Business accounts in most countries (I think only Germany is excluded at this time). The Account Optional checkout is not available for payments for eBay items.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by ramiro
    be safe. grab a merchant account with authnet. oscommerce supports that as well. http://ubcnow.com is where I go.
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

    Hey Ramiro -- I checked out ubcnow and they look pretty good. Thanks for the tip. Problem is I am in Canada, and I think I will need to supply a Federal Tax number which I don't have. Probably ucbnow.com does not deal with us stinking Canadians! Anyways, do you or anyone else here know of a merchant provider like these guys who deals with Canadian business owners, or is based in Canada?

  12. #12

    Thumbs down 2CO Customer "Service"

    I've dealt with 2CheckOut as a customer and find their "service" terrible.

    Unlike Clickbank, 2CO doesn't guarantee a refund when the merchant refuses to issue one.

    I've had a lot of trouble getting a refund from 2CO and now refuse to deal with any company who uses them.
    Revolutionary New Marketing System. Free To You!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by tims15
    I didn't know you could use Paypal to accept credit card without them having a pp account. How do you set it up to do this?
    I meant YOU don't need a Paypal account to accept THEIR Paypal payments via Clickbank and CCNow :-)

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by yourguides
    Unlike Clickbank, 2CO doesn't guarantee a refund when the merchant refuses to issue one.
    Does your bank guarantee a refund for any check you wrote regardless of why you want the refund? No.

    Does your bank guarantee a refund for any credit card purchase you made regardless of why you want the refund? No.

    Can you legally purchase products or services, then demand refunds even if you got what you paid for, but didn't make money from that latest get rich quick guide? No, you can't, but I bet you're the type that will try.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Does your bank guarantee a refund for any check you wrote regardless of why you want the refund? No.

    Does your bank guarantee a refund for any credit card purchase you made regardless of why you want the refund? No.
    You're absolutely right there. The point I was trying to make was that 2CO doesn't answer inquiries (or takes a long time to reply) and there doesn't seem to be any accountability for fly-by-night merchants trying to make a quick buck (and getaway).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Can you legally purchase products or services, then demand refunds even if you got what you paid for, but didn't make money from that latest get rich quick guide? No, you can't, but I bet you're the type that will try.
    Whoa, Dan, why the attack? I was simply voicing my opinion. I'm sorry if that offended you or hurt your feelings.

    "I bet you're the type that will try" is rather harsh, especially since you don't know me. I would have thought that a someone with the designation "Marketing Guru" would be a bit more professional. I hope you don't talk to your customers that way.
    Revolutionary New Marketing System. Free To You!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    43
    Of course it is better that you only (the merchant) can do the redo... if it is a good reason, just refund.. but if they are forcing it without you accepting, that is unacceptable...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    132

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by paypalrb
    If you have a Premier or Business account, you can enable the Account Optional checkout for your customers:

    - Log in to your PayPal account
    - Click on "Profile"
    - Click on "Website Payment Preferences"
    - Scroll down to the "PayPal Account Optional" section and set it to "On"
    - Click "Save" at the bottom of the page


    PayPal Account Optional is available for Premier and Business accounts in most countries (I think only Germany is excluded at this time). The Account Optional checkout is not available for payments for eBay items.

    Great detail with the info, kudos!



    does cut down on my research time

  18. #18
    If you have a Premier or Business account, you can enable the Account Optional checkout for your customers

    No, you need a business account, premier does not offer this feature
    and to clear the thread

    This service is for website payments pro, a new service being offered by paypal.
    Kind of as close you can get to a real merchant account, without actually having one. This service is free now, however there will be a $20/m charge starting early next year.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by tasari
    Of course it is better that you only (the merchant) can do the redo... if it is a good reason, just refund.. but if they are forcing it without you accepting, that is unacceptable...
    What you just described is called a chargeback. It happens all the time, and you have little to no control over it. Welcome to the real world.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by CartHost
    No, you need a business account, premier does not offer this feature
    and to clear the thread

    This service is for website payments pro, a new service being offered by paypal.
    Kind of as close you can get to a real merchant account, without actually having one. This service is free now, however there will be a $20/m charge starting early next year.
    Website Payments Pro is available for Business accounts within the US only.

    However, the "PayPal Account Optional" checkout is not a part of Pro; it is a part of Website Payments Standard and is available to all Premier and Business accounts (except in Germany).

    Website Payments Pro has "Direct Payment", an API that allows you to collect credit card information on your own website so the customer never needs to see a PayPal page. The "Account Optional" checkout I was describing is a serious of pages hosted on PayPal's site. The $20/mo. allows you to use the Direct Payment API, and you must also use the Express Checkout APIs to allow customers to pay using a PayPal account if they choose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •