Shared Hosting that uses AMD CPU's

Hello All,
    I am having the hardest time trying to find a host that has AMD for their shared hosting servers. I don't get why they don't use AMD. AMD's run fine with heat as long as you know what you are doing with cooling. I see this thread:

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...light=hostings

And I see the debate/discussion going on. However, I have a short list of hosts that I know that use AMD processors. Here it is:

www.atwebhosting.com

Does anyone know anyone else? There was someone here on this board that used the signature "Proud to offer AMD" but I cannot find him anymore. He must of got a new signature.

Thanks for any help!
    Funny Pics, Hot Chicks, and Cool Flicks!!!
    Get Opera, which is now ad-free and no licensing fee.

I don't know of any.
    The main reason hosts use intel processors is because intel is better at number crunching, and AMD is better for graphics. This is why most gamers prefer AMD
    Intel speeds up load times, AMD makes everything nice, shiny, and run fine is the best way to put it.

<sigh> Alright, I guess. I'm off to bed, still furios on the fact that intel is beating AMD in sales, even though they shouldn't be.

Hey, I <3 AMD too, but sometimes there are just better tools for that particular job.

I am confused why you are worried about what type of CPU's your shared host is providing. For all intensive purposes on a client basis there will be no difference between AMD and Intel when we are comparing similiar processors. No shared host is going to let you use that poor CPU to it's max, and the differences between a Xeon and AMD are not going to be enough for any one shared hosting client to notice. The differences will be seen by the admins of the server, but not by the individual clients.

Really. What difference are you going to notice if the CPU is an Intel or an AMD? Unless you just don't like Intel, I don't see the reason for this.

It probably comes down to simply the vendor that the web host uses. For instance, if your host is buying all Dell equipment, they'll run intel. I've seen HP start offering Opterons (the HP DL 385 and DL 585 series), so it'll be interesting to see if that's a trend that will catch on. Personally, we offer AMD Opterons but we got a great deal on them (although admittedly I'm an AMD fan at heart myself as well). May I ask why you're specifically seeking a host with AMD processors?
    Aaron J. Graves
    President
    AJ Graves & Associates
    http://www.ajgraves.com/

Any specific reason why you want a web host that uses AMD servers? What kind of a website do you plan on hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyGrunt
    I don't know of any.
    The main reason hosts use intel processors is because intel is better at number crunching, and AMD is better for graphics. This is why most gamers prefer AMD
    Intel speeds up load times, AMD makes everything nice, shiny, and run fine is the best way to put it.
    Er, thats why the AMD Opteron runs circles around any even nearly equivalent Intel Xeon chips? Lets not forget the fact that when comparing P4's, and AMD64's, the AMD64's chew almost 50% *less* power (and hence run as much as 50% cooler, depending on the setup of course) then the Intel P4's. I haven't looked at the benchmarks comparing the Intel P4's and equivalent AMD64's, but I wasn't aware there was a noticable lead on the Intel side on this matter.

At least from my own experience an AMD Barton 3000 does a much better job in the shared environment then a Pentium 2.8. We switched from the pentium to the AMD and the load average dropped 25% with the same sites.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

We just got a new Athlon64 3200+ the other day, would be interesting to see how it holds off against the P4 2.8 especially under high loads.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

64 vs. 32 is definatley not a fair fight
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyGrunt
    I don't know of any.
    Wow, that's sure a lot of misinformation in one post.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

is amd better than intel?

Quote Originally Posted by WeSellHosts
    is amd better than intel?
    Add to that the specific processors in question, all of the other hardware that is going to make up the system, the software that the system is going to run, and the type of use of the system and you can start to figure out an answer in that specific case.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Quote Originally Posted by justadollarhostin
    64 vs. 32 is definatley not a fair fight
    Even when the price is the same, and the OS is 32 bit? .

AMD is leading the pack, by a pretty large margin in terms of technology and performance right now. Intel is too busy making toaster ovens trying to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine
    Even when the price is the same, and the OS is 32 bit? .

AMD is leading the pack, by a pretty large margin in terms of technology and performance right now. Intel is too busy making toaster ovens trying to catch up.

Shhhh, you're making me look like a bad devil's advocate!
    Mike from Zoodia.com

To tell you the truth, I just really hate intel. I can't believe with all the money that they have, they should be lighyears ahead of AMD. Yet, there AMD is, with MUCH, MUCH, less money that intel, and AMD is not only keeping up, but doing BETTER. I think that if AMD had the money that Intel did, there would be absolutely NO reason to even consider intel (of course, is there any right now?).

Just MHO.

Fair enough
    Aaron J. Graves
    President
    AJ Graves & Associates
    http://www.ajgraves.com/