* Dedicated server for ultimate private setup - which to choose

Hi all,

I have been reading the forum for sometime in order to find the best solution for my needs. Have ended up with more questions that answers so would appreciate your guys input..

I am looking for a dedicated server to do the following:

- Host all my emails on (backup since 1993 about 8gb) an Imap server, so I can search my old emails from any of my computers (use both Win and Mac)
    - Run a wabdav service so I can map a online folder from any computer
    - Host my day to day websites (mainly pictures, a couple of blogs and stuff like that)
    - Host a couple of friends websites (including some forums and small cms)
    - Host my ical files
    - Would also like to ssl in to my server and setup a virtual desktop so I can work on a secure mashine from public mashines
    - Host hosting of own test sites
    - Host my remote backup of my laptops
    - setting up my owm ldap server

I know quite a bit about linux servers and have also a good friend who can help me manage the server. However, I would like the following specs:

- min 2.8hz server, 512 ram (1024 prefered), 80gb harddrive
    - would like to have a host with high access to the backbone (and free 500-1000g transfer a month)
    - would be nice with a host that provided kernel upgrade and firewall
    - been looking around and it seems that some dedicated hosts provide a feature where you can do self boot via a web interface. (seem to solve one of the big issues that many providers have, e.g that they have slow support when it comes to reboot.)
    - 24 hour support would be nice
    - root access (goes without saying)
    - options to upgrade to bigger harddrive, ram and hz

I would consider at virtual host if you guys think that it would be
    enough.

I am looking to spent something between $100 to $140 per month. (and can add something in setup fee if needed.

I have been looking at:
    fasthosts.co.uk
    servstra.com
    servermatrix.com
    layeredtech.com

However, have not found anything perfect so I am open for any other suggestion...

Thanks!

Henrik

Have a look at dedicatedplace.com, I haven't used them but their offerings look pretty good and a few people around here recommend them.

Why do you think you need a dedicated server (particularly do you need so much RAM and disk space)?

If that is all you want to use your machine for, you could get away with a mid-to-high end VPS for less than a third of the cost.

ServerMatrix/ThePlanet was good to me... DedicatedNOW also comes to mind.
    www.MyWebMetrics.com - Providing information about web analytics and general internet marketing.