Thread: Spam Emails

Spam Emails

I had a user send spamming emails out from my server, LT gave me 6 hours (which I wasnt online for) then suspended my server.

They have been very good over it and when i asked for it to be reconnected so i coul;d sort it they did, they gave instructions on hardening the server (including the nobody@ prevention option which i forgot to set)

But they said i need to get rid of the user which sent the mail. How do I find out which user did this?

Best Regards
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by WMT2K5
    I had a user send spamming emails out from my server, LT gave me 6 hours (which I wasnt online for) then suspended my server.

They have been very good over it and when i asked for it to be reconnected so i coul;d sort it they did, they gave instructions on hardening the server (including the nobody@ prevention option which i forgot to set)

But they said i need to get rid of the user which sent the mail. How do I find out which user did this?

Best Regards
    Danny

Have you tried looking at the mail logs?

It might not be one of your users that sent the mail but instead someone using a php or sendmail exploit.