Transplant Box into Rackmoutn or build from scratch?

Hi All,
    I've got a server right now (Dual Opt, 2gb ram, 2 x 250GB SATA) that I have colocated. Unfortunately, its in a tower case. In talking to myprovider it looks like I can save about $70/month if I had a rack-mount 1U case.

The machine is most likely overpowered for my needs (only built it from the AMD Tech Tour deal). The box serves as e-mail for about 10 domains, web server for 4 domains (<1000 hits/day total), and also has SQL on it for some of the domain apps that I built.

In the interest of saving money, I've started to consider building a 1U or 2U server instead of this one. First question - Does this make sense? or is the cost of a 1U dual proc box going to be more than I'd save in a year?

Second Question - Any suggestions on how to build my own?

Thanks in advance. Hope you don't mind the newb question

If you already have that equipment i don't see any reason to downgrade.

You can buy a 1u case and just make sure that the motherboard you have right now will fit in it. If you are in a tower case right now, you'll need to make sure that your power supply will fit (or get a new one) and that the heatsinks on your cpu's will fit inside.

For a 2u case, basically any generic components will fit with the exception if PCI cards (can be remedied with right angle risers).

You can pick up a decent case for pretty cheap and just go to the DC and swap the parts. Worst case scenario, you have to put the parts back into the tower and think of something else.

Having to migrate from one server to the other would probably not be very much fun so i would say you would be better off transplanting the current server. If you show up with all the necessary tools and such then the downtime should be less than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by mlater
    Hi All,
    I've got a server right now (Dual Opt, 2gb ram, 2 x 250GB SATA) that I have colocated. Unfortunately, its in a tower case. In talking to myprovider it looks like I can save about $70/month if I had a rack-mount 1U case.
    the bundled server board from $500 AMD tech tour deal is either Tyan S2882D or S2892. to fit either one in 1U, chenbro RM11702 (2-bays) or RAM11704 (4-bays):
    http://www.chenbro.com.tw/usa/produc...iew.php?pid=68
    would be the best choice.

2-bay RM11702 will cost about $320, and do remember to pickup (1) air-duct for tyan thunder board (chenbro part#84-311710-002) (2) 2pcs dyantron A51 all copper passive heatsinks. so you are looking at 6-months to recoup the conversion.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

The board is the S2892 (K8SE) . Thanks for the advice and pointer on the RM11702 (and the air ducts too, didn't even consider that). That looks like the best way to go. Anyone know where to find one with an EPS12V power supply? Unfortunately, the Tyan requires that type of PS.

nm, in looking at the listing at serversdirect.com, the show it with a 350W EPS12V PS.

Any recs on where to find the dynatron A51? I can't seem to locate any retailers with it. Would the A75 (with a small blower) work as well/better?

350w may not be enough for dual Opteron. you may want to spend a few dollar more to get RM11704 (4-bays) which comes with 400w EPS/SSI power supply, and 4x H.S. SATA bays as well.

if you can't find any Dynatron A51, Cooljag JAC083C works just as great:
    http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...de=64Heatsinks
    in fact, Cooljag are bundled with Tyan Transport GX28 barebone, and the mounting screws are lot better than Dynatron's.

don't use mini-blower type in an airduct because it can "confuse" the intented airflow.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

In looking around, I had ruled out the 350W 11702. But, I did find a RM11620 with a 520W PS for $310. The RM11704 seems to be about $370+ but can't find any in stock.

Thanks for the tip on the Cooljag cooler. Just ordered two.

the new RM11602 looks good! make sure the $310 includes PS and hot-swap backplane because it sounds low....
    sales@apaqdigital.com

I double checked the specs myself b/c of the low price. Here is what is listed for it:

Specification
    • Mfr Part Number: RM11602T-520
    • M/B form factor: Extended ATX (12" x 13")
    • CPU Type: DP Xeon/DP Opteron/DP Nocona
    • Drive Bays: 5.25" x1, HDD Trays x2
    • Backplane: SATA
    • Power Supply: 520W
    • Switches/ Controls: Power ON/OFF, System Reset, Alarm Mute, 2x USB 2.0 ports
    • Indicators: Power ON/OFF, HDD/LAN Activity
    • Slot Openings: 1
    • Cooling Fan: 4x 40 mm (T=56mm) Double-Deck middle fans, 1x 40 mm (T=28mm) Slot fan
    • Security Lock: Intrusion Switch
    • Riser Card: 32-bit or 64-bit PCI/ PCI-X
    • Construction Material: SGCC
    • Sheet Metal Thickness: 1.2 mm
    • Dimension(DxWxH): 653 x 430 x 43.5 mm / 26" x 16.9" x 1.7" inch
    • Net Weight: 8 Kg

BTW, anyone have any leads on where to get the air ducts for the tyan boards?

spec looks excellent for the $310 price tag.

call the same outfit selling this RM11602T chassis for the airduct. if they sell chenbro, they should carry airduct (specific to tyan S2880/S2882/S2892) too!
    sales@apaqdigital.com

also, make sure th PS is made by Zippy (Emacs P1W-6520P) . despite Zippy PS usually goes with Chenbro chassis, but vendors can put in whatever brand they want. insist on Zippy PS. 520w is really rated for dual Opteron/Xeon dual-core, for dual Opteron single-core, 400w/460w/500w model will do just fine.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital
    spec looks excellent for the $310 price tag.

call the same outfit selling this RM11602T chassis for the airduct. if they sell chenbro, they should carry airduct (specific to tyan S2880/S2882/S2892) too!
    I e-mailed Chenbro about it and got the air duct directly from them for only $8 + $4 shipping. The 1U and the ducts arrived today, the CoolJag heatsinks were attempted today but I was out so I'll be doing what I can tonight and finish it up tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice guys, this is looking really good.

Quote Originally Posted by mlater
    I e-mailed Chenbro about it and got the air duct directly from them for only $8 + $4 shipping. The 1U and the ducts arrived today, the CoolJag heatsinks were attempted today but I was out so I'll be doing what I can tonight and finish it up tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice guys, this is looking really good.
    Please keep us updated and let us know how this turns out.

also, make sure th PS is made by Zippy (Emacs P1W-6520P) . despite Zippy PS usually goes with Chenbro chassis, but vendors can put in whatever brand they want. insist on Zippy PS. 520w is really rated for dual Opteron/Xeon dual-core, for dual Opteron single-core, 400w/460w/500w model will do just fine.
    Opened it up and it has a Seasonic PS in it. It looks to be the first one listed at http://www.seasonic.com/product/ipc_1u.jsp I checked on MSN & Google searches and don't see any reviews for seasonic popping up online. Am I going to be OK with this PS?

As a test, I ran Prime95 on the current box. After 1hr the CPU has only gone up from 43 to 45. Once I get the heat sinks tomorrow I'll do the transplant and re-run the tests to see how it works in the new case.

Also, if anyone knows where I may be able to get the Chenbro part "84-311610-010 I/O For S5350/S5360/S5150/S2870 " (I/O Gasket for the Tyan boards) in/around the Seattle area, please let me know. I thought the included one would work but no such luck. Tempted to just leave it off, but I want to do this right.

well, let's just say Seasonic is not in the 1st tier like Zippy or Sparkle. I saw them in cheap tower cases before. I guess that's where the low $310 tag comes from. you may want to change it before server goes to colocation.

if you can't find the custom IO plate, just leave it out. we did that quite often. IO shield plate is more or less a 'decorative' item. it even helps airflow without it.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Its done! the transplant went pretty smoothly. I actually took the box totally offline and changed my DNS to point to a backup server I have running on a bus. cable modem connection. So the box is still here with me. (also just started another thread on which colo to move to b/c now my host is saying I don't qualify for the lower 1U rates due to not being a existing customer)

First, the thing is loud! I know, all rack mounts are. Just kinda forgot how loud

Second, its much cooler than my other box. I had the machine in an antec titan case and it was typically 43 degrees. In the chenbro, it has yet to get over 30. not bad

yes, those dual-blade turbine fans can be very, very laud, but when the server is co-located in data center, who cares it's laud or not.

the airflow in a well-designed 1U is so concentrated to remove heat away from CPU's. it's not really a surprise to see lower CPU temp than a tower case.

for your future 1U builds, do consider either tyan transport GT24 or supermicro AS1020A-T barebone, then just add CPU's, RAM, and HDDs.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

yes, those dual-blade turbine fans can be very, very laud, but when the server is co-located in data center, who cares it's laud or not.

the airflow in a well-designed 1U is so concentrated to remove heat away from CPU's. it's not really a surprise to see lower CPU temp than a tower case.

for your future 1U builds, do consider either tyan transport GT24 or supermicro AS1020A-T barebone, then just add CPU's, RAM, and HDDs.
    I will definitely do that. if I didn't already have the parts existing I probably would have gone with the GT24 or even just bought a Dell 1U server. I did notice a PowerEdge 1425 1U (3.0 Xeon, 1GB RAM), 1yr onsite service) in their outlet for only $600 and nearly jumped on that, but then someone else grabbed it. Did all my tweaking and even an OS upgrade (W2000 to 2003) and now just ready to get it in the data center early next week.