Post Recommendations From...

I've seen reviews & plugs for different hosting companies, both good & bad.
    Mainly from small time posters...

...how about the community leaders, liasons, etc.?

What are your picks for shared & reseller?

I'm asking this because I'm looking to change hosts & current all of the hosts I've looked into have had some type of issue (what I found from their site, found under a Google search, from negatives posted here, etc.). Not to say that they are all bad but I want to see if any of those that I've looked into could be something good overall.

I don't mind getting PM from community leaders, liasons, etc. if they prefer not to post directly here...

Thanks!

NeedANewHost,

Check out http://www.WHReviews.com – this hosting directory was setup by and is currently being maintained by one of WHT’s most highly respected community liaisons. The site features a whole wealth of information on selecting a new hosting company, and it also has a list of “honest” web hosts that were hand picked to be placed there – meaning they’re not paying to be listed. It’s really a great site, and can be a tremendous help to anyone looking for reliable web hosting.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for a new host, let us know how it goes!

EDIT: I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that the liaison that runs the site is: "ldcdc" and he's been a WHT member since 2002.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Yes, that is indeed a good one. As is HostReview, my personal favorite.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

You probably won't find any hosting company that has 100% satisfied customers. The thing to do is sift out those companies that have mostly satisfied customers, as seen by the ratio of positive to negative opinions.
    From there, you can look more closely at features etc.

I agree that Dan's site is one of the few honest hosting review sites, while I'm afraid I cannot say the same about HostReview.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

What is wrong with HostReview?

Well, a quick look tells me they are featuring several hosts I personally have a rather low opinion about... But perhaps it's just me....
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Exactly, and those are advertisements. But if you look at each host's individual page, you will see these pages contain user-submitted reviews.

Please, look a little deeper before speaking out about something. HostReview is a great place to go to get information, and most folks can tell the difference between an ad (in this case, a banner) and a review (in this case text posted by a user).

Thanks for the input, I did find WHReviews earlier but didn't have a chance to go over it till now (which I plan on doing). The mix of good & bad can really drive a person crazy. You find a host that looks good, they have good reviews & then a few interesting points (negative reviews, etc.) makes you think twice.

Again, thanks!

Additional filter could be WebhostingJury.com
    Life is too short for 56k!

Firstly, I like the username

Secondly, from what I gather a fair proportion of the moderating team here work for / own some of the larger hosts such as Pair

Lastly - every company will have negative reviews, because their staff and customers are only human. The way to find the host right for you is to visit the site, contact their sales / support staff, ask a few questions - look at their response time, helpfullness, attitude and so on.

And of course features/price - but if you go too cheap you are much less likely to get good service.

Quote Originally Posted by vidahost
    Firstly, I like the username
    Thank you. It can work two ways (that I'm looking for a host or for offering hosting later on should I resell).

Secondly, from what I gather a fair proportion of the moderating team here work for / own some of the larger hosts such as Pair
    Hmmm, not aware of that company. Going to have to do a little digging. Thanks for the tip!

Lastly - every company will have negative reviews, because their staff and customers are only human. The way to find the host right for you is to visit the site, contact their sales / support staff, ask a few questions - look at their response time, helpfullness, attitude and so on.
    The thing I'm looking at on negative is how long the negatives stay around & if the company takes care of the issue. What I find important is the communication end; that if one way fails (ie. support ticket) that they have another way of working with the customer (ie. forums, e-mail, phone, carrier pigeon, flares, etc.). I've found that some hosts who run into a issue don't seem to follow up on other means of communication which isn't a good sign. Also it dpends on how many people are actually running the site (I've had several hosts that have 1 owner, 1 sales & 1 support & others that are just 1 owner/sales/support). I agree on the response time. One host I saw openly stated that they would respond in 3 hours or less (compared to the 'average' posting of 30 minutes or less). Many hosts I've dealt with claim the 30 minutes route & usually that works to begin with then it goes to 1 hour & then 1 day time lapse. Understandable that at times things can get chaotic but hosts should try to post something reasonable like "we will try to get back in 30 minutes or less for level 1 or 2 requests, level 3 are 3 hours or less, etc.". It amazes me how many hosts say "24/7 support" & you actually question if that is true plus what that means (ticket support, e-mail, IM, ???).

And of course features/price - but if you go too cheap you are much less likely to get good service.
    Totally aware of that & I take that into consideration. I also look at the time frame they have been around along with the +/- (if many negatives & they are new, probably just working out bugs; if negatives show up after being around for a year or two, I try to see if it's an upgrade, merger or something else; if they have been around for some time & they get negatives at random, I try to see if it's because of some other host trying to bad mouth them or legit issue, etc.). I'm not looking for too many features, like I have in the past because I'm not needing them as much (actually not at all like templates...they aren't imporant because to date I haven't used them). Being fair is good, I don't care of the "cheap hosts" as they tend to be all that, just cheap. However since I don't use that much in diskspace & bandwidth I feel I should be charged the same as someone who uses 10x or more than me! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NeedANewHost
    I've seen reviews & plugs for different hosting companies, both good & bad.
    Mainly from small time posters...

...how about the community leaders, liasons, etc.?

What are your picks for shared & reseller?

I'm asking this because I'm looking to change hosts & current all of the hosts I've looked into have had some type of issue (what I found from their site, found under a Google search, from negatives posted here, etc.). Not to say that they are all bad but I want to see if any of those that I've looked into could be something good overall.

I don't mind getting PM from community leaders, liasons, etc. if they prefer not to post directly here...

Thanks!
    Most own hosting companies I believe

Well after several days, weeks, months of digging around & looking different hosts I think I'm down to a few that may work. Think 1 does stand out from all the rest & if it does, hopefully you'll see a posting from me here in a month or ?? on how things go. Trying to take into account all issues & since each host has their different settings (ie. features, prices, +/- why to go with them, customer feedback on their site & here, extras not found with others, etc.) it can be a interesting search overall. Not to say that those I don't find good aren't bad because they obviously have their customers who are happy with how things are otherwise everyone would be leaving & the host would go under. As for the "review" sites listed above, I did try them out but ended up finding the new hosts mainly through "sigs" of their respective poster. Which is interesting (find it curious that the "review" sites were hosted for the most part by 1 particular host).

Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadabrahma
    Well, a quick look tells me they are featuring several hosts I personally have a rather low opinion about... But perhaps it's just me....
    Its not. At first I agreed with it, then I seen more and more posts from the owner and I believe from his posts hes biased. If he didn't post, I'd sure suggest the site...but from his posts....

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    Most own hosting companies I believe
    Which can be fine. What I'm looking at is the amount of posts they have put into WHT along with the fact they are trusted to moderate the postings. Putting someone into a position of trust can be rated highly & for the most may mean they can be trusted with hosting as well! :-) Though I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedANewHost
    Well after several days, weeks, months of digging around & looking different hosts I think I'm down to a few that may work. Think 1 does stand out from all the rest & if it does, hopefully you'll see a posting from me here in a month or ?? on how things go. Trying to take into account all issues & since each host has their different settings (ie. features, prices, +/- why to go with them, customer feedback on their site & here, extras not found with others, etc.) it can be a interesting search overall. Not to say that those I don't find good aren't bad because they obviously have their customers who are happy with how things are otherwise everyone would be leaving & the host would go under. As for the "review" sites listed above, I did try them out but ended up finding the new hosts mainly through "sigs" of their respective poster. Which is interesting (find it curious that the "review" sites were hosted for the most part by 1 particular host).

"Review sites" can indeed be (some of them anyway). Especially when the poster mentioning one earlier (mynameweb) has had his accont disabled, and that doth not happen for no reason

I believe whreviews.com is perfectly trustworthy though. ldcdcldcdl is well-known here and on Sitepoint.com. At least, assuming it's the same person :p
    You're welcome, & good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    Its not. At first I agreed with it, then I seen more and more posts from the owner and I believe from his posts hes biased. If he didn't post, I'd sure suggest the site...but from his posts....
    Also noticed that many "review" sites seem to review the same hosts & that they are limited to a certain amount (usually less than 20 or 10). Always rated highly & as I pointed out before 2 of the boards are hosted by 1 particular company which is one of those reviewed (could be biased).

"Review sites" can indeed be (some of them anyway). Especially when the poster mentioning one earlier (mynameweb) has had his accont disabled, and that doth not happen for no reason
    *grin* Hmmm...didn't notice that before you pointed it out. Interesting... Plus his account was a premium one too, "not a good thing" (evil Martha Stewart).

I believe whreviews.com is perfectly trustworthy though. ldcdcldcdl is well-known here and on Sitepoint.com. At least, assuming it's the same person :p
    Well, I was able to review some hosts but going to the links & they did include some that I haven't found before. So that was helpful but they were not ones I was looking for. Didn't try Sitepoint (did look at Pair, which is interesting but again not what I'm needing - either too little or too much...).

:-D

Quote Originally Posted by Fulk
    Additional filter could be WebhostingJury.com
    This site is a total joke, I had one disgruntal customer that is 14 years old. He went on and posted from the same ip bad reviews twice within a few days, I contacted the owner of that site multiple times stating that I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this person obviously posted 2 opinions. They never responded EVER and have made no effort to correct this injustice. Since then this child has had a friend post another bad review(that makes 3) from a site I don't even host, yet again no answer on that email.

If a site is going to be a fair review site, they need to not allow people to spam reviews. This works both ways, it would be just as easily to spam the site using one IP for many reviews to promotes your hosting company. That sites reviews are totally scued and should not be trusted at all.

In closing, if you want to find a webhosting company, find a web host review who is fair with all issues on both sides, and makes sure to whatever degree possible that the reviews are genuine.
    Adam J. Thompson
    [email protected]
    http://www.incheckhost.com
    Also Check Out our Brand New Forums http://www.incheckforums.com

I fully agree - that Dan (idcdc) runs a review site that really stands above the pack.
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Well sounds like you are doing your homework...good for you
    Make sure you do some pre-sales emails to your list of potentials.
    Its toooo overwhelming nowdays with such a saturated market.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999