Question technical question regarding domain/hosting

my hosting is down for 4 days now, I dont thing they will come back soon so I decided to change hosting. Tho the problem with that is that my forum/board was quite big and my last backup is 3 month ago.

so my plan is:
    - buy a new hosting plan, install my now website (without the forum) with my now domain name pointing to that new host

-buy a new domain name very cheap like Yahoo and make it point to my old not working host and when it get back online I could get back my forum database.

Is that doable?

Smile

I don't see a reason why you have to buy a domain for your old host?
    As long as you can get into your account, you can get your backups ~

I don't think you need a domain to access to your account do you?

my hosting is down
    What makes you think the host will serve your database from a remote connection if everything else is down?

Did you try contacting the host?

You will only be able to connect to the database remotely if the SQL server is still up and your host already set permissions allowing remote connections. By default, most hosts and control panels create new database users with permissions on the local machine only and refuse connections from remote systems. You can always try... but chances are you are stuck with your 3 month old backup unless you can contact your host and get a more recent copy.

Too bad the importance of frequent backups is never apparent until after the fact .

Hope it works out ok, but when you get the forums backup up and running, you'll start backing up the database daily, right ?
    http://www.srohosting.com
    Stability, redundancy and peace of mind

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA
    I don't see a reason why you have to buy a domain for your old host?
    As long as you can get into your account, you can get your backups ~

I don't think you need a domain to access to your account do you?
    Its my understanding that once your domain name point to another DNS, you dont have anymore FTP access to the previous settings.

2 years ago the same thing happen and after moving to now say down host I lost everything once my DNS settings were modified.

Quote Originally Posted by SROHost
    What makes you think the host will serve your database from a remote connection if everything else is down?
    it might come back online with all my database intact, so I want to have access to it.

Did you try contacting the host?
    Yes, they use another website for submiting tickets, that website is down. They dont respond to emails and even at [email protected] the mails come back as full box warning! Phone number arent good.

Yes, I host my website on cheap hosting and I know the risk.... but my website is not a business one, its only a personnal website for fun.

You will only be able to connect to the database remotely if the SQL server is still up and your host already set permissions allowing remote connections. By default, most hosts and control panels create new database users with permissions on the local machine only and refuse connections from remote systems. You can always try... but chances are you are stuck with your 3 month old backup unless you can contact your host and get a more recent copy.
    I dont see much hope of that happening *sigh*

Too bad the importance of frequent backups is never apparent until after the fact .

Hope it works out ok, but when you get the forums backup up and running, you'll start backing up the database daily, right ?
    If it was for work, it would be quite another story, backups would be automatic each days

thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by tchoune
    Its my understanding that once your domain name point to another DNS, you dont have anymore FTP access to the previous settings.
    FTP typically works using the old IP address as well. In addition, if the host is using Cpanel, you can log in by going to the main shared IP, and using your old information to log in. If the db backup isn't too large, you can backup from there...otherwise you'd need shell access.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    FTP typically works using the old IP address as well. In addition, if the host is using Cpanel, you can log in by going to the main shared IP, and using your old information to log in. If the db backup isn't too large, you can backup from there...otherwise you'd need shell access.
    I just try to connect to Helm (216.7.186.180) and that too is "The page cannot be displayed"

thanks bear

That IP times out from here (not responding at all or unreachable). I have no experience with Helm, so I can't tell you how to fix this. Sorry.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!