Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

* Don't turn to God..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4427144.stm
    Evangelist says voters reject God

A US Christian evangelist has told a Pennsylvania town not to ask for God's help if disaster strikes after it voted against teaching intelligent design.
    ID says life is too complex to have developed through evolution and an unseen power must have had a hand.

On Tuesday, Dover voters ousted the local school board, which had tried to introduce the concept as an alternative to the theory of evolution.

Pat Robertson told his TV show that the town had turned its back on God.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city," Mr Robertson said on The 700 Club.
    so much for 'turning the other cheek' and 'we are all God's children'. In my opinion this guy's rhetoric is as bad as Osama Bin Laden's.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.
      0 Not allowed!

A modern day Jonathan Edwards
      0 Not allowed!

He’s a pretty disgusting guy; this isn’t surprising.
      0 Not allowed!

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city," Mr Robertson said on The 700 Club.
    Wow. What an unbelievable statement.

Sadly, his viewers, for the most part, accept his words unchallenged.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials
      0 Not allowed!

That's the problem with religious zealots, everything is so black and white to them, even though the world isn't.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine
      0 Not allowed!

Nothing new from this hypocrite. He keeps making outrageous statements and people keep tuning in to his show and giving him money.
      0 Not allowed!

I guess that guy has lost some beloved one in recent natural disaster like T-sunami, earthquake or something.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by derek.bodner
    A modern day Jonathan Edwards

Eh! whats our olympic triple jump champion got to do with it ..
      0 Not allowed!

Hahaha.

I was more going for the Jonathan Edwards of the Reformation period
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by trau
    That's the problem with religious zealots, everything is so black and white to them, even though the world isn't.
    Well said. Unfortunately, this is the stance that Bush and many other current politicians seem to take, and it annoys me very much.
      0 Not allowed!

Religious fundamentalists scare the hell out of me, regardless of which flavor they are. I tend to notice they're generally the last ones to practise what they preach.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.
      0 Not allowed!

Just to play devil's advocate (kinda ironic saying that)

But in revelation, it says:
    Revelation 3:15 - 15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.
    Although, I do disagree with what this guy has said. Because many times in the bible, it was THE FACT that people DID turn to God when they needed him, that he brought his mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by akashik
    Religious fundamentalists scare the hell out of me, regardless of which flavor they are. I tend to notice they're generally the last ones to practise what they preach.
    I have to agree. Although, I do know many people who are totally on fire for God and live it out. Most of the time, the ones that get attention by the media (and other forms of attention) are the crazy ones - which really does give other christians a bad name.

In conclusion, I think this guy was talking out of anger rather than a prophetic voice of God - however who knows? All we can do is compare it to the word of God and see if it aligns with what God says. (since he doesnt contradict himself)
    Last edited by VolkNet; 11-11-2005 at 04:47 PM.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>
      0 Not allowed!

That is how it is suppose to be with christianity. You are believer or not. There is no middle ground. It all IS black and white. You cannot be half-way christian. You can not have two gods and they cannot both be right. There is no gray there. Religion is based on "you are one of us or you go to hell" thing. I repect this guy much more then some "all religions are good" people. At least he is honest in his believes and he says it as he sees it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sasha
    That is how it is suppose to be with christianity. You are believer or not. There is no middle ground. It all IS black and white. You cannot be half-way christian. You can not have two gods and they cannot both be right. There is no gray there. Religion is based on "you are one of us or you go to hell" thing. I repect this guy much more then some "all religions are good" people. At least he is honest in his believes and he says it as he sees it.

I don't know where you came up with this nonsense.

The fact is many religions are very tolerant of other religions and beliefs.

If you respect Pat Robertson for what he says then I pity you.
      0 Not allowed!

blue27,

Sash is not being sympathetic

Nonetheless Pat Robertson needs to actually read what he's preaching rather than making up his own trash.

Er, scratch that: I'd prefer if he didn't.
      0 Not allowed!

Pat Robertson is an idiot. 'Nuff said.

Having said that, I agree with sasha that true Christianity is on or off - there really is not an inbetween.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David
    blue27,

Sash is not being sympathetic

Nonetheless Pat Robertson needs to actually read what he's preaching rather than making up his own trash.

Er, scratch that: I'd prefer if he didn't.

Sash is still making certain generalizations toward religion that are false regardless of whether you are a believer or not.

I am certainly not a believer but I do have respect for the philosophies of many religions and the fundamentals that they teach.
      0 Not allowed!

blue, if you are not a believer, I certainly don't believe you have a right to dicate policies of religion.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mynameweb
    blue, if you are not a believer, I certainly don't believe you have a right to dicate policies of religion.

If you can point out anywhere that I am attempting to "dictate policies" of religion then please do. If not, then I don't see any logic in your post at all.

Oh wait, you are still sulking over previous posts.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by blue17
    Sash is still making certain generalizations toward religion that are false regardless of whether you are a believer or not.
    As you do not hold to a religion, how do you know what is false and what is not false? Eh? Sounds to me like an outside dictation of policy, no?
      0 Not allowed!

Let's see if we can continue this discussion staying on-topic and respectful of other people's opinions, without any accusations or name calling.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt
      0 Not allowed!

How is anything Pat Robertson spews suprising?

The man has been on live television praying for people to die. He has called for the assassination of foreign leaders. Now he is telling a town not to turn to god. In the list of things he has said this is rather minor.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by blue27
    I don't know where you came up with this nonsense.

The fact is many religions are very tolerant of other religions and beliefs.

If you respect Pat Robertson for what he says then I pity you.
    I respect honesty and truth. Pat Roberson is honest and truthful to himself and his religion. I have to respect that. That does not mean I like it in any way, but I respect it. Much more so then some half-Christian or half-Muslim who has no respect for his own believes.

About Christianity, nowhere in the Bible (the book which cannot be changed or updated with current politics) does it say that pagans and Christians will share Heavenly Kingdom. The most important event in Christianity, that every TRUE Christian is looking forward to, is Second Coming. The time when pagans will burn in fires and die painful deaths. I see no tolerance there. Religion by its nature exist on the fact that "my" god is greater then "yours". It is all about NOT tolerating others (unless they are willing to join you in not tolerating others).
      0 Not allowed!

Coming from a multi religon and multi racial country, I feel that it is not just about tolerating others' religions, but to learn and understand their beliefs, respect them for what they are. The least you can do here is make sure your postings are within the tolerable limits of the forums, don't make the thread turn ugly.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan
    ... it is not just about tolerating others' religions, but to learn and understand their beliefs, respect them for what they are.
    I agree completely.

Religion and other controversial topics sometimes get watered down to try to please everyone, and there isn't much substance left afterwards. This may be what some people in this thread are referring to. However, it is very possible to maintain your own beliefs without watering them down and to respect other people and their beliefs. You don't need to agree with their beliefs to show that respect.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast