French TV censoring the news for ideological reasons? Are you ok with that?

One of France's leading TV news executives has admitted censoring his coverage of the riots in the country for fear of encouraging support for far-right politicians.

Jean-Claude Dassier, the director general of the rolling news service TCI, said the prominence given to the rioters on international news networks had been "excessive" and could even be fanning the flames of the violence.

Mr Dassier said his own channel, which is owned by the private broadcaster TF1, recently decided not to show footage of burning cars.

"Politics in France is heading to the right and I don't want rightwing politicians back in second, or even first place because we showed burning cars on television," Mr Dassier told an audience of broadcasters at the News Xchange conference in Amsterdam today.

"Having satellites trained on towns across France 24 hours a day showing the violence would have been wrong and totally disproportionate ... Journalism is not simply a matter of switching on the cameras and letting them roll. You have to think about what you're broadcasting," he said.

Read all of it... http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/sto...639538,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by 0utlier
    One of France's leading TV news executives has admitted censoring his coverage of the riots in the country for fear of encouraging support for far-right politicians.

Jean-Claude Dassier, the director general of the rolling news service TCI, said the prominence given to the rioters on international news networks had been "excessive" and could even be fanning the flames of the violence.

Mr Dassier said his own channel, which is owned by the private broadcaster TF1, recently decided not to show footage of burning cars.

"Politics in France is heading to the right and I don't want rightwing politicians back in second, or even first place because we showed burning cars on television," Mr Dassier told an audience of broadcasters at the News Xchange conference in Amsterdam today.

"Having satellites trained on towns across France 24 hours a day showing the violence would have been wrong and totally disproportionate ... Journalism is not simply a matter of switching on the cameras and letting them roll. You have to think about what you're broadcasting," he said.

Read all of it... http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/sto...639538,00.html
    As a non-government agency, I think they should be able to censor whatever they like, as long as they understand people may not take them seriously because of it.

I think the reasoning behind the decision is even more scary. This crap about news executives, anchormen, reporters, etc being so damn partisan has made the media in most countries a joke.

We have people choosing a news program based on which party they belong to, fricking sad.

I don't see a problem with it.
    It's a private business they can make their own decisions.

Just look at Clear Channel in the US. They probably censor as much as any network in any country.

This has nothing to do with Clear Channel, or your hyperbole or conjecture. There are always decisions made as to what to put on as news, and what not to put on as news. There are only so many hours in the day in which to report things and some things get airtime and others don't.

This is a case of "we're not going to report what's going on right before our eyes". They're saying, "We feel like it will hurt our liberal government so we're going to pretend it's not happening". I find it shocking actually. I'm surprised anyone is ok with it. What happened to journalism that simply reported the news? You can bend it left or right. Just report it at least. At least their honest about the liberal bias. You gotta give em credit for that.

What hyperbole are you talking about?

You brought up a case of censorship and I commented on it with a real life example.

I suppose you would rather we all just blindly agree with whatever YOUR opinion on things are.

If that is the case why do you bother posting?

I suppose ClearChannel showing their clear Conservative bias is a totally different situation.

bottom line - its a private network, they can do what they want.

in the uk, if i dont like a certain newspaper (for example), i can go read a different one. thats the beauty of 'choice'

the other point is - if you as a frenchman (hypothetically) know that a certain network is censoring certain stuff, you get a choice whether to watch that, or watch some other news programme