What good does page rank do?

I've been around hosting for years (not on here that long of course), but one of my weak points is understanding searching engine ranking.

I have a domain that according to various google page ranking tests has a PR2, or page ranking = 2

But the site doesn't get 200 hits a month (and most are from me).

Using keywords the site is on page 2 of Yahoo and Google.

I don't want to list the site here for undisclosed reasons, but in a general discussion, what does a PR2 actually mean? Is it what I just mentioned that by using the keywords on the site it's on page 2? I know that sounds elementary and obvious when I say it What would be some things to look for as to why no visitors are actually coming to the site?

PageRank is how Google measures the importance of your site. It does not pertain to what page your web site appears on in the search results.

What keywords are you using to get the site to come up on page 2 of the search results? It may be that they are not relevant and therefore, no one else except you is using them to locate the site.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

PageRank is one of several ways Google measures strength and "quality" of links pointing to a given page (sites don't have a PageRank; pages do). Among all of the factors used in ranking, it's certainly not the most important, and isn't even the only factor pertaining to links.

For the most part, your best off ignoring it. As you develop more incoming links, the PageRank number on the toolbar will increase, but look at that as a somewhat interesting side effect, don't make it your goal.

That said, the average toolbar PageRank is between 4 and 5. If your index page shows a 2, it's very low -- which does indicate that you probably don't have many other sites linking to you, and without that you won't rank well.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameweb
    PageRank is how Google measures the importance of your site. It does not pertain to what page your web site appears on in the search results.

What keywords are you using to get the site to come up on page 2 of the search results? It may be that they are not relevant and therefore, no one else except you is using them to locate the site.

Well it's a hosting biz website but I try to cater to a local area so when a particular city name is typed in along with the word hosting it comes up on page 2.

And from the next post after yours I see what PR2 actually is.. not good

Quote Originally Posted by JayC
    PageRank is one of several ways Google measures strength and "quality" of links pointing to a given page (sites don't have a PageRank; pages do). Among all of the factors used in ranking, it's certainly not the most important, and isn't even the only factor pertaining to links.

For the most part, your best off ignoring it. As you develop more incoming links, the PageRank number on the toolbar will increase, but look at that as a somewhat interesting side effect, don't make it your goal.

That said, the average toolbar PageRank is between 4 and 5. If your index page shows a 2, it's very low -- which does indicate that you probably don't have many other sites linking to you, and without that you won't rank well.
    Ahh... ok... I had it backwards then. I thought the lower the number the better it was... so higher the PR the more popular or better quality it is....

got it now .. thanks

using pagerank to rate a website is about as lame as when people used to use alexa ranks to rate a website.

whats the most important thing? sales/conversions!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

btw too page rank isn't really used anymore as google has a new thing called trust rank that is all internally used based off a new method for determining search rank...
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by bwb
    btw too page rank isn't really used anymore as google has a new thing called trust rank that is all internally used based off a new method for determining search rank...
    There's a grain of truth in there: Google (or more accurately, some people employed at Google) recently applied for a patent on a set of procedures that have been dubbed "TrustRank."

However, the fact that they've requested a patent doesn't necessarily mean they're already using, or ever will use, the techniques described. And it doesn't mean that they won't use any other processes, like PageRank.

Essentially it would appear that TrustRank could replace PageRank (though whether it would be more effective isn't clear) as one among the many algorithmic components. Or it could be added as an additional one. Or, some elements of it as descibed in the patent application would be implemented without implementing all of them... and in fact that I'd say is already the case.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

[QUOTE=JayC]There's a grain of truth in there: Google (or more accurately, some people employed at Google) recently applied for a patent on a set of procedures that have been dubbed "TrustRank."

However, the fact that they've requested a patent doesn't necessarily mean they're already using, or ever will use, the techniques described. And it doesn't mean that they won't use any other processes, like PageRank./QUOTE]Most people agree that the latest Jagger update doesn't use PR nor have the last few, check the webmasterworld forums and SEO forums.

Ah, thanks bwb! Something else I wasn't aware of....when will Google slow down?!?
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com