Thread: Is this normal?

* Is this normal?

I currently have a reseller account with a company who has a great reputation here at WHT but I'm starting to get frustrated...

I started with a basic reseller account in March and by July needed to move to a more sophisticated server so I upgraded to a semi-dedicated plan. The new server has had several outages since then and just about a month ago my provider offered to move those of us on that server to a new server at a different data center. Yesterday I was finally moved, but now when I log into cPanel I get a secure server certificate notification of a domain name mismatch.

I understand why this is happening, but the clients I resell to will not. Since this is a new thing I questioned it with tech support they told me that this is just the way cPanel is configured. He gave me an alternate route into cPanel and I was told it would not generate the pop-up notification but it does.

My question is: Is this a normal occurrence that I just need to live with?

I have private name servers and everything is seamlessly rebranded, but their 'generic' server name (which appears on the pop-up) can be googled and associated with the company I purchase hosting from. I just want to provide a professional appearance to my clients and I'm not sure they're going to want to encounter this every time they log in.

Anyway, sorry so long, I just want an outside perspective. I'd rather not drag the company's name thru the mud just yet in hopes I can resolve it with them directly (assuming there's anything that *can* be done).

TIA for your input.

Mary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by technodiva
    ....but their 'generic' server name (which appears on the pop-up) can be googled and associated with the company I purchase hosting from. I just want to provide a professional appearance to my clients and I'm not sure they're going to want to encounter this every time they log in....

Mary

Hello Mary,

You might want to ask them to change the hostname/server name to an anonymous/unbranded domain for example: host7.anonISPhosting.net, etc. It's not that hard to do. As for the "pop up" try accessing your control panel using normal http protocol or ask them to install a signed cert.

Have a good day.

It acutally is an unbranded/anonymous domain, but one can still Google the unbranded name and connect it with that particular hosting company.

I've tried accessing the cpanel several different ways (http protocol, ip address) but I get the pop up no matter what.

I'm just trying to find out if everyone gets this little pop-up with *every* hosting company. I've never experienced this before.

Hello Mary,

imho, if you can google the "anonymous" hostname and connect it to the actual hosting company then it is not all that "anonymous/private". You should ask them to make the "anon" hostname a real anonymous site, domain reg/address contacts, etc.

Actually, it depends on the control panel, you should ask them, if they can install a signed cert, even the low priority ones are decent enough.

Have a good day.

The certificate is signed, more than likely. Unless the user is trying to login to cPanel using the hostname, he will get a popup. This is simply unavoidable.

You can avoid the POP UP Signing in using the non secure connections to cPanel. Ports 2082 and 2086.

So I just have to live with it no matter where I host?

yup you do... cause the certificate belongs to the server hostname... so any other "name" you use to log in will mismatch.

Spaceh, I tried that...same pop up.

When you see the pop up with a message saying, this server certificate belongs to: host.name.ext ... use that host name, it have to work that way...
    For your costumers ask them to use the following metod to login www.domainname.ext:2082
    They will avoid the popup.

Quote Originally Posted by technodiva
    So I just have to live with it no matter where I host?
    Actually, it depends on your host... some hosts have a control panel that doesn't show a "pop up" message...

Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by DHWW - elijah
    Actually, it depends on your host... some hosts have a control panel that doesn't show a "pop up" message...

Have a good day.

What control panel with secure login does not show the message? Please name one.

And as for the original thread starter, if it is too much trouble to click the "Ok" button, then use the hostname of your company instead of your own domain to login.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    if it is too much trouble to click the "Ok" button, then use the hostname of your company instead of your own domain to login.
    I guess I'm not making my point clear. I am a reseller. This means that other people buy hosting from me and can log into their own cPanel. When these other people log into their cPanel they will get this pop up. This pop up tells them that someone is trying to hijack their session. This will freak them out. This is my third server with this hosting company. This is the first time I've had this issue. I just want to find out if I would encounter this issue (the popup stating the session is possibly being hijacked) at other servers since I have never (since 1998) had this happen before.

I'm not trying to be snitty here, just trying to make myself clear and apparently I'm not doing a good job.

I really do appreciate you guys' input here.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    What control panel with secure login does not show the message? Please name one...
    Maybe you should read the thread/post above.... think before you speak.

have a good day.