Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High School Student is new mayor of a small Michigan town

HILLSDALE, Michigan -- He hasn't even graduated from high school yet but he's already mayor of a small Michigan town.
    18 year-old Michael Sessions was elected mayor of Hillsdale, Michigan after a successfull write-in campaign.

Young Sessions got into the race about six weeks ago, the day after he turned 18.

But just because he's mayor doesn't mean he'll be able to slack on his school work.

"You know, I'll go to school from 7:50 to 2:30 each day and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., I'll be doing mayor business," Sessions says.

Sessions used $700 saved from his summer job to fund his campaign.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=43226
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Wow! That's wild!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

At first, I was confused as to what his real last name is. I thought the article was simply saying, "young Sessions" (and even "Sessions" is a weird last name). But then I realized his first name is Young -- pretty weird first name... kinda cool, I suppose.

No, his first name is Michael. 'Young' was capitalized because it was at the beginning of the sentence. It sorta confused me at first too!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by mynameweb
    No, his first name is Michael. 'Young' was capitalized because it was at the beginning of the sentence. It sorta confused me at first too!
    Ohh... I guess I missed this part: "18 year-old Michael Sessions was elected mayor of Hillsdale, Michigan after a successfull write-in campaign."

Pretty cool Hillsdale has around 8000 people.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

wow, i just read this on AOL news and was about to post. That is wowwwwwww!

I WONNA BE MAYOR!
    everyone move to my town and vote for me!
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

He won via write in's so it's completely possible. Get a small group of friends together and start going door to door, press the flesh.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Awesome, great story.

Bloomberg spends millions of dollars to run his campaign and this 18 year old kid spends $700. I think New York needs a new mayor =]
    :|

NYC is a bit bigger than Hillsdale...
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Bloomberg spent millions of dollars of his own, personal money. I don't live in NYC, but from what I have seen and heard, he appears to be doing a good job. In a city the size of New York, you have to heavily campaign to get voters, and that costs money. Ultimately, you cannot compare a city of 8000 people to a city of millions.
    John Morris
    Warp-Factor Technologies - Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    E-Mail: john[AT]warp-factor.net AIM: iiwebwizardii

Oh geez that is funny

Good on him. I hope he enjoys his new position and does a great job for the people of his town. It probably won't be long before he's out of school anyways, and in some small towns, the position of mayor is rarely a full-time gig anyways.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Congratulations to him! That's pretty rocking if you ask me. I think that he is very lucky, and made a great accomplishment.

Regards,
    Anthony B.

Smile High School Student Elected Mayor Of Michigan Town

High School Student Elected Mayor Of Hillsdale
    Teen Wins By Write-In Votes

POSTED: 5:30 pm EST November 9, 2005

HILLSDALE, Mich. -- An 18-year-old high school student said he was in shock Wednesday after being elected mayor by mounting a write-in campaign to oust the 51-year-old incumbent.

Michael Sessions had 732 votes to 668 for Mayor Doug Ingles, according to unofficial figures posted on the city's Web site.

"It's just a state of trying to believe it," Sessions told the Hillsdale Daily News. "Especially that 732 people took the time to write my name in. My heart's racing."

A cheer went up in the Sessions home when the results were announced over the radio. The Hillsdale High School student lives with his parents and 13-year-old sister, Sarah.

"I support him all the way," said Scott Sessions, Michael's father. "He has worked for it. He had the desire to do it."

Scott and Lorri Sessions at first had doubts about the wisdom of their son's candidacy, the teen said.

"They thought I was crazy and (were) pretty skeptical of my campaign, but now they have smiles from cheek-to-cheek," Sessions told The Blade of Toledo, Ohio.

Hillsdale -- population 8,200 -- is home to the 160-year-old, 1,200-student Hillsdale College.

Pending clearance by the County Board of Canvassers on Thursday, Sessions will be the youngest mayor in city history.

Because the city's electronic voting system counted all write-in ballots for Sessions -- the only official write-in candidate -- they will have to be manually reviewed and ballots that have other names or are illegible will be thrown out.

Sessions was 17 and not yet qualified to get on the ballot in the spring.

But one day after his birthday, on Sept. 22, he registered to vote. The next day, he signed up as a write-in candidate.

He used $700 from a summer job to fund his race.

"Right off, I'm not going to get their respect, they'll say: `This kid could be my grandson,"' Sessions said of the City Council. "But it's not about bossing them around, it will be about cooperating with them."

Sessions put up signs all over Hillsdale and campaigned door to door.

"A lot of older people really enjoyed talking to me. I looked them in the eye. Young people could relate to me," he said.

Ingles had asked earlier, "How much credibility does an 18-year-old have?"

Following the election, Ingles said he would change nothing.

"It's an honor to serve in the City of Hillsdale, and I'll continue to work to make Hillsdale a better place," he said.

Among the teen's initial priorities are bringing jobs to the city, hiring a fourth full-time firefighter and meeting with the city manager and council members.

"I've got to get acquainted with everyone first," he said. "I'm just glad people are giving me the opportunity to show what I can do."
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/politi...s=det&psp=news

That's pretty awesome

already posted please search first...
    http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=460242

not to mention the link you posted dosent work
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

Thumbs up

A great example of democracy in action. He may become president someday.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

That will look insane on his resume.

Lucky bastard lol

I'm just wondering who his first employer will be...

"Honey, i just hired the mayor today..."

Doesn't that guy need to go to university or something? I really wonder how he'll get there... imagine having a city mayor sitting next to some kid in calculus class...

Quote Originally Posted by danieleio
    Doesn't that guy need to go to university or something? I really wonder how he'll get there... imagine having a city mayor sitting next to some kid in calculus class...
    Hillsdale does have a college, so he could take classes there I'm sure. Of course, he IS the Mayor, so who would say no? lol The hardest part would be budgeting time. Come to think of it, he could come up with some great excuses for missing tests that way

Just out of interest - since things are different over there - how much 'power' does a Mayor have and what exactly do they do?

Think of them more or less as president of the city. They are responsible for everything dealing with the city (city taxes if they exist, budget, in this case how much funding the college gets, etc...) if I'm not mistaken.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

So a fairly good job then! Is it paid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast