Using SSI on all .html pages

In the past, I have used a script to build my web pages using a template containing the navigation menus, and separate files with the content. If I changed the navigation, I rebuilt all the pages. It's not a big deal, it takes longer to upload them.

For a new site, I have made all the .html pages server-parsed, and put the navigation into an include file. I'd like to do this for my other sites, but some advice I've seen suggests that this creates undesirable extra work for the server.

Which is the best way, building the pages manually, or using SSI?
    Julian Moss
    Tech-Pro.net

I would preferably build the pages manually without using SSI. But if you need to use SSI it would be best to make the extensions .shtml so you won't have to worry about file permissions. (when SSI code is in a page, the permissions either have to be 755 or the file's extensions has to be .shtml)

SSI doesn't create a big load. I agree on the .shtml extension for all SSI pages though.
    Ken

CROWHOST hosting+colocation services | 877-CROWHOST | support at crowhost.com
    Independent remote-hands serving all Chicago data centers

Quote Originally Posted by CROWHOST
    SSI doesn't create a big load. I agree on the .shtml extension for all SSI pages though.
    If it's an existing site, changing the pages from .html to .shtml will lose all the page rankings though, won't it?
    Julian Moss
    Tech-Pro.net

For what you want to do it is definitely a good idea to use database coding. As SSI has pretty much always been known as the 'poor man's database' it is an option worth considering. Server overhead used to be a concern but not anymore. Servers are much more powerful than they used to be.

Our main site uses 5 - 7 SSI files for every page and works just fine. No load on the Server and zippy parsing. Until one gets very good at working with a database and a front-side connection language, like PHP & mySQL, then stick with using SSI.

And I would also suggest to avoid using 'shtml' except for Error pages, for the reasons already mentioned.

As always though, to each their own.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

SSI is a great way to add small pieces of information, such as the current time. But if a majority of your page is being generated at the time that it is served, you need to look for some other solution.
    Apache parse files for SSI directives if they have the execute bit set. So, to add SSI directives to an existing page, rather than having to change the file name, you would just need to make the file executable using chmod.

chmod +x pagename.html

My expertise with databases, PHP etc. extends to finding free scripts and if necessary hacking them a little bit. At the moment, I'm really only interested in using SSI to insert a navigation panel on every page.

On my server, all I did to make .html pages be parsed for SSI was add:

AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html

to the .htaccess file.
    Julian Moss
    Tech-Pro.net

you can try this also

AddType text/html .shtml
    AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

If we are delving which directive to use, then IMHO the best to use for SSI includes on 'html' pages is:

AddHandler server-parsed html << make this the first line in the .htaccess file

Also, if using SSI is supposed to be detrimental to Server overhead, then what about PHP includes?
    Same thing different language, or as I like to say, "Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other."
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available