NEW: BEST and WORST HOST (most specifc thread)

This new thread is spawed from the old thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=132792

The only problem with that old thread is, it doesnt fit your specific situation, and "whats good for one person may not be good for another"

So try this format. I actually got my present host from reading the old thread above, but now as I am growing I am finding I may need a new solution. The old thread just doesnt give me the info I need to make an informed decision that fits my unique situation.

So thinking about it, I came up with this solution. The more information we have about the person using it and thier problems, the better idea we will have if we should really check that host out.

COPY THIS FORMAT AND PASTE IT IN YOUR REPLY AND THEN JUST ANSWER AS BEST AS YOU CAN.

=======================================================

BEST HOST NAME =

HOW LONG YOU BEEN THERE =
    (eg: 1 year)

OPERATING SYSTEM =
    (eg linux fedor etc)

HOW MANY CLIENTS YOU HOST =
    (eg: 1 to 50 clients - 50 to 100 clients - 100 to 250 clients - 250 to 500 clients 500 to 1000 clients - 1000 or more clients)

HOW MUCH SPACE AND BANDWIDTH YOU HAVE =
    (eg: 75 gigs per mn)

HOSTING SOLUTION =
    (eg: dedicated, vps, shared, colocated or other)

SPEED RATING =
    (1 to 10 --- 1 = worst -- 10 = best)

SUPPORT RATING =

WEB HOST MANAGER =
    (eg: WHM - what you use to control the system add accounts etc)

CONTROL PANEL =
    (eg: CPANEL - What your clients use to control their accounts)

WHATS GOOD ABOUT IT =

WHATS BAD ABOUT IT =

WORST HOST NAME =

HOW LONG YOU BEEN THERE =

OPERATING SYSTEM =
    (eg linux fedor etc)

HOW MANY CLIENTS YOU HOST =
    (eg: 1 to 50 clients - 50 to 100 clients - 100 to 250 clients - 250 to 500 clients 500 to 1000 clients - 1000 or more clients)

HOW MUCH SPACE AND BANDWIDTH YOU HAVE =
    (eg: 2000 gigs per mn)

HOSTING SOLUTION =

SPEED RATING =

SUPPORT RATING =

WEB HOST MANAGER =

CONTROL PANEL =

WHATS GOOD ABOUT IT =

WHATS BAD ABOUT IT =

==========================================

In this way, we can get a better idea of what solutions are being used, and whats working for the clientel base, they software used.

I am not sure if people want to bother to fill this out, but it will seriously help alot of people... the more info you give, the better you will help others stay away from the problems you had.

You will get too many mixed reviews. Example: a Host may be good for one customer and the worst nightmare for another customer. The best thing is to reviews you'll find about the web host.
    PierreB - Montreal

I will go first as I am eager to get better solutions for my own situation.

BEST HOST NAME = DINIX.com WEB HOST PLUS

HOW LONG YOU BEEN THERE = 2 years

OPERATING SYSTEM = Linux Fedora i686
    (eg linux fedor etc)

HOW MANY CLIENTS YOU HOST = 50 to 100 clients

HOW MUCH SPACE AND BANDWIDTH YOU HAVE = 6 GB storage - 200 bandwidth
    (eg: 75 gigs per mn)

HOSTING SOLUTION = VPS 100 - celeron - 4gig ram
    Minimum Guaranteed RAM = 64 MB 128 MB

SPEED RATING = 9

SUPPORT RATING = 7 to 8

WEB HOST MANAGER = WHM 10.8.0

CONTROL PANEL = cPanel 10.8.1-C20

WHATS GOOD ABOUT IT = The support was great until dinix.com merged in to webhostplus.com. They have fast servers, my alexa rating is in the top 95% percentile. Clean ips, great features

WHATS BAD ABOUT IT = Their support seems to be getting worse as they have only one person managing all the VPS solutions. Its not 24 hour support as they claim so if your ip goes down at night, you have to wait until the morning to get a reboot. Only one pesron so far is rebooting.

Overall these guys are good. 7 out of 10 but could be better.

WORST HOST NAME = http://www.super.nu/
    Steve gunnels (rip off artist)

HOW LONG YOU BEEN THERE = I was there about 2 years a long time ago

OPERATING SYSTEM = linux (not sure the details)
    (eg linux fedor etc)

HOW MANY CLIENTS YOU HOST = had 1 to 50

HOW MUCH SPACE AND BANDWIDTH YOU HAVE = 500 megs BE WARY of them
    (eg: 2000 gigs per mn)

HOSTING SOLUTION = SHARED

SPEED RATING = 3

SUPPORT RATING = 1

WEB HOST MANAGER = ENSIM

CONTROL PANEL = ENSIM

WHATS GOOD ABOUT IT = not much... i cant think of one thing

WHATS BAD ABOUT IT = Steve gunnels the owner basically rips people off. He has blackmailed others for their domains, he sends out spam. He lies to his clients. He also charged me for a life time server and when I asked for support, he deleted all my accounts. I complained to the BBB with no answer. Runs his server in safe mode, so you are limited there. He starts calling his clients to try to drum up business to make them order higher packages with spam protection and hacking protection, when in fact he does nothing to help his clients and just collects thier money.

he owns fidpac.com

he lies about his guarantee. I had reported him to many different authorities, but it did no good.

I am just glad I found a much better solution in dinix and web host. Looking for an even better one if possible.

A simple search on his name: Steve Gunnels

will show you very many aggravated people
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...+gunnels&meta=

Quote Originally Posted by PierreB
    You will get too many mixed reviews. Example: a Host may be good for one customer and the worst nightmare for another customer. The best thing is to reviews you'll find about the web host.
    thats fine, I want mixed reviews.

I want to be able to logically look for a new host and I am the type of person who likes alot of data, so I can the best source. I have a feeling others feel the same as me, but no one has set it up.

I also want others to know about the really bad people out there like Steve Gunnels. i found this neat thing on him lately.. he is still doing bad things... and I would like to warn others about people like him..

http://www.gunnels.october.com.au/

Its called the GUNNELS COLLECTIVE

I warn anyone who is thinking of using his servers or if you do use his servers right now... be very careful

I cant even begin to tell you people how he ripped me off and all he did... it was amazing he is still in business

If you do a search on this forum you will find a few threads like the one you just started.
    PierreB - Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by PierreB
    If you do a search on this forum you will find a few threads like the one you just started.

Is it as detailed as the questions I am asking?

The reason I ask, is -- i acutally used that last thread to decide for my previous host which worked out quite well. The problem I had was trying to decide on all the soltuions. I didnt have enough information.

What I needed, was to compare my situation with someone else and try to use their system to see if i could get the same success

The problem I found was that there wasnt enough information provided.

How can you really get an idea when someoen says...

"yeah this host blahblah.com is 7 out of 10"

You dont know what services you get, any bonuses, the prices is good, the support, the extra featuers, and most importantly, what people are doing depdending on how many clients they have and what software they are using, along with control panel and web host manager.

If the other threads are better, post the thread links, so they can be reffereed so people can find them quickly.

If not, help me start this thread up so we can really get the data people need to choose a good host.

What I have learnt from my experience is this....

follow some of these rules and guidelines...

1: if you have 1 to 50 clients you want to host, search for shared, reseller and VPS solutions.

Those are the perfect solutions for starters.

Shared is the cheapest and quickest, reseller is a step up and VPS (virtual private server) is the daddy of them all.

SHARED: is good because you can set up quick, its cheapest, but very unreliable when you start to do things and add features

Resellers accounts are better, but not much more than shared, and give you more options like adding your own resellers, but again, as you start getting bigger you will need more solutions.

VPS gets you close to managing what a dedicated system is like. It gives you shell access and tons of neat features which start to move you in to the hosting realms of having large pools of clients and tons of services to offer and make money off of.

2: when your breaking the 50 to 100 range in clients, look for dedicated systems

VPS will still work, but you have to hope many of your clients dont bother with mysql or databasing. Once they do that, and start using alot of email features
    like spam assassin and things like this, it pushes your cpu time in to over load.

VPS's in my experience are not built for alot of heavy user sites, like phpbbb, oscommerce and others. A few are fine, but when you get alot of clients, it can start to bottleneck the server and it crashes easily.

3: not many clients? but heavily used system

A vps is great to start out with, but you will soon outgrow it. If you think your going to have a site that has 10,000 to 100,000 users and be used alot, you should save your users alot of hassle and move to a dedicated system right away.

4: colocated is great if you want a dedicated system but much more control over what hard ware you use. It allows you to build a computer and you can let the hosting company run it.

if anyone can add to this... i would appreciate