Changing hosts... is it easy?

hi

I'm currently trying to decide which host to go with.

My question now is:

Is it easy enough to change web hosts?

As I need a web host soon, and was looking at a reseller account so I could use multiple domains etc, but now I'm thinking it may be an idea to just get a cheap host so that I can begin development (since will be using the Joomla CMS).

cheers

I'd say, go with the host you will be planning on staying with, so you will know how their services are. It is relatively simple to change web hosts - here is a tutorial for it: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=325064

Here is another tutorial: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=391689

The answer depends on what control panel the Web Host uses. If you are switching from one control panel to something totally different, it will not be as easy to back everything up, and transfer it over.

Your best bet may be going with a Web Host who will cater to both of your needs. A cheap shared account for now, and later a reseller account. Many hosts will be able to upgrade your account to a reseller with just a few clicks of the mouse. Then you won't have to worry about moving hosts.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

If you do not have a very complicated setup at your current host, it would be very easy to just use FTP to transfer the website files between the two accounts. I don't know of any host these days that does not offer FTP.

Are you looking to move more than HTML files?
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Well we haven't got any hosting or website atm.

So it may be an idea to do what Vince has said.

The only problem with this is it's very hard to find a really good host which can provide cheap and reliable (well as much as possible) basic shared hosting, reseller hosting and then dedicated servers, since we can forsee the need for all of these.

cheers

Oh, Ok. I thought you already had a host.

Yes, I agree with you that this is hard. Have you looked at HostCentric and HostCentric Dedicated?

Many/most hosts will do the transfer from old host for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameweb
    Oh, Ok. I thought you already had a host.

Yes, I agree with you that this is hard. Have you looked at HostCentric and HostCentric Dedicated?
    hmm, they offer everything, but rather expensive

Ah, Ok. So you're looking for something even cheaper than that...hmmmm....

You know, I had never thought of it, but there really isn't a company that offers a full, low-cost lineup!

If I come across something, I will be sure to post it here - in the meantime, keep us updated with your search!

Hi treelovinhippie

I've just started web designing, & I was looking for a web hosting company that was going to give me access to host 1 - 3 domains. I didn't want a reseller account because I won't be making a money on the hosting (at the moment)just the web design.

There are couple of areas I would look at.

1) search for hosting companies in your country. (the different time zones can be a really pain).

2) Call the hosting company up & speak to there sales team. Find out how easy it is to up/down grade hosting package & See how long it takes for someone answer.

3) Send an email to there support team. The response for a good hosting company should be no long that 30mins.

4) go the netcraft(.)com website & see what the server uptime is.

Finally choose a hosting account that you can cancel at anytime.

I am very happy with my hosting company Seven Internet seveninternet(.co.uk)

Yep will do.

I don't think I'll checkout the hosting company you mentioned since anything in the uk will end up being 3 times the cost (since Aus to UK conversion rates etc)

If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know.

You might want to try site5.com's multisite plans. That gives you reseller-like control over your own domains, though they're not suitable if you're going to actually re-sell space. (They'll transfer your old site for you as well).

Other than that, the usual suspects round here are hostgator and a few others already mentioned. Just browse these forums, and you'll get an idea of who people think are good hosts.

p.s. hostcentric does seem very very expensive for what space you get.

hmm, hostgator looks like another one that offers everything.

The big thing is though the Aus to US conversion

e.g. hostgator:

min reseller = US$24.95 = AUD$31
    min dedicated = US$174 = AUD$238

If you use a host that gives you cpanel, moving would be very easy - all you would need to do is literally hit a couple buttons.

Well Dotable (minimum $14.95 AUD monthly) allows multiple domain management with separate cpanels. But they don't do dedicated etc. And it's not an account to resell on, just to allow you to manage your own domains. Joomla is specifically supported by Cartika & Siteground. Cartika (minimum $40CAD monthly for reseller) is not cheap & does do dedicated servers (so does Siteground, though they don't do reseller).

The question I'd really have though is why you would want to constrain yourself so much when it is impossible to predict what space, bandwidth & features you will need in the future when you haven't go any site up and running yet. I'd start off with a simple non-reseller account (with the possibility of multiple domains if I know I want them in the future - that won't constrain you much or cost much more) at a price I could afford. I wouldn't worry too much about what will happen in 2 or 3 years because it will be impossible to be confident of how well any host will be doing then (or how much they would cost or what range of packages they will offer) as well as being uncertain of what the site(s) will need.

The big thing is though the Aus to US conversion
    Yeah, it is tough when the exchange rate is involved. I know, because all I earn has to go though this (often rather unfair) exchange process. However, I don't think there's a way around this for you. US based hosting is cheaper and if pings are not overly important for you, it is likely to remain the more affordable choice. If most of your visitors are from Australia, you might prefer a US host that has the servers closer to your country (west coast).
    Last edited by ldcdc; 11-10-2005 at 09:42 PM.

yeah I see your point Dormouse, I think it would be a good idea to get something like the $14.95 dotable account and use that for a while.

We then may upgrade straight to a dedicated server depeding how things go.

Any other hosts similar to dotable which offer multiple domains?

I was looking at a reseller account solely for the option of multiple domains (no intention of actually reselling).. but they seem a fair bit more expensive than regular shared hosting with the multiple domain option.

Yep I agree idcdc, even with the annoying exchange rate, US hosts are still cheaper... hopefully we can get some US advertisers to help cover costs

cheers

piece of cake.. your new provide should do the transfer for you..

It's not such a piece of cake, centurygothic. Web hosts are in the hosting business, not the file moving business. While we try to be as helpful as possible to our clients, I know that our company for one cannot help every single client we get move their files, or we would have to start charging much more than we do. I think that generally, moving files from one web host to another is the webmaster's job, or the job of the web site moving firm that they hire to do this for them.

yea, it really depends on the situation. Generally we help clients migrate any data from their existing host (be it general root files, ms sql databases, etc)...it's never a piece of cake but it's worth it in the long run...a happy client is worth any extra effort

Quote Originally Posted by mynameweb
    While we try to be as helpful as possible to our clients, I know that our company for one cannot help every single client we get move their files, or we would have to start charging much more than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by bluskyguy
    Generally we help clients migrate any data from their existing host (be it general root files, ms sql databases, etc)...it's never a piece of cake but it's worth it in the long run...a happy client is worth any extra effort
    The point is that many good quality hosts will do this, though some will not. This help would obviously be part of the requirement for a new upgrading provider. You can grow quite a big site(s) on shared hosting so it could be a long time before dedicated was ever needed and hosts who offer dedicated will be very used to people moving in from shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by treelovinhippie
    Any other hosts similar to dotable which offer multiple domains?

I was looking at a reseller account solely for the option of multiple domains (no intention of actually reselling).. but they seem a fair bit more expensive than regular shared hosting with the multiple domain option.
    I think I have seen some other hosts offering multiple accounts with separate cpanels & WHM, but very few & I cannot recall any at the moment.

One reason for the extra cost of reselling accounts is that there are often a lot of extra features aimed at supporting reselling (billing etc). There might also be a greater use of support & take up of space & bandwidth, but hosts are in a better position to comment on this than me.

Quote Originally Posted by treelovinhippie
    hi

I'm currently trying to decide which host to go with.

My question now is:

Is it easy enough to change web hosts?

As I need a web host soon, and was looking at a reseller account so I could use multiple domains etc, but now I'm thinking it may be an idea to just get a cheap host so that I can begin development (since will be using the Joomla CMS).

cheers
    If you have no Clients and no Web site, I think your best bet is to start with a Shared Hosting package that offers Sub-domains and/or Addon Domains. Both will allow you to create seperate Web sites and give you plenty of space for trial & error whilst still have a main Web site - that you leave in good working order. You also only have one Control Panel to deal with.

Once you get some Clients or money rolling in, then getting a Reseller account would make mores sense. Any Reseller account will provide you with two Control Panels; one for the Reseller, one for the Clients. Having a good working knowledge of the Client Control Panel means less "new" things to learn with the Reseller Control Panel.

And regardless of a Shared or Reseller account, most good Hosters will transfer your files for you at no charge; depending on how many accounts and whether they provide the same Control Panel.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available