* I have a question for the senior citizens.

This is the third time at the third store that, once I got home and went to checking the receipt and the items match, I notice a small deduction at the bottom of the bill.

snrdsct

Am I obligated to return to the store and tell them they have made a grave (pun intended) mistake?

Or can I keep the discount in compensate for the emotional distress they've placed upon me?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    This is the third time at the third store that, once I got home and went to checking the receipt and the items match, I notice a small deduction at the bottom of the bill.

snrdsct

Am I obligated to return to the store and tell them they have made a grave (pun intended) mistake?

Or can I keep the discount in compensate for the emotional distress they've placed upon me?

Take it back! You don’t deserve that senior discount… I thought you were 30! Honestly! I mean it…

I do…

i think the seniro discount applies to your actual age, and the age you look.

Let it be.

Talking

Well I read the thread title and thought maybe I could be of help but evidently SWR is just finding out that he looks a heck of a lot older than he thought.

Wait till you get as old as me SWR, you'll appreciate the senior discounts.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil

Take it back! You don’t deserve that senior discount… I thought you were 30! Honestly! I mean it…

I do…
    You wanna be a mod eh?

SWR: Truth hurts doesn't it. Im sorry I find this quite funny. Take it back be like yo I aint a senior what do something!

Regards,
    Anthony B.

If you look that old, it seems like you might as well enjoy the discount while you can.
    Then again, maybe you should be planning for the near future, by which I mean maybe this will decide whether or not you get into heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by varg
    You wanna be a mod eh?
    Never! No way! I would absolutely never want to sit in Dennis’ or Jan’s chair every day, with my pointer finger hovering above that mysterious “ban” button for violating the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    i think the seniro discount applies to your actual age, and the age you look.

Let it be.

My my my, a funny one

Oh, one of those ethics questions. I don't know if there's a clear answer for this one.

If you'd misled them into thinking you're way older than you are, then yes, you should tell them about the error. If they'd forgotten to charge you for something, you'd also be obligated to tell them IMO, unless it was for something small and not worth their time in dealing with.

But they didn't ask you if you're a senior citizen, and they gave you a discount that they'd give if someone much older than you had bought the same items. The store didn't really lose anything because of these mistakes. Maybe the store clerks have been instructed to give the discount when in doubt rather than possibly offending people by asking their age. Then again, giving the discount could be offensive, but probably less so than asking the age question in front of other people.

Now that you know that store clerks tend to have bad eyesight, IMO it's your responsibility to watch when they ring up purchases and to point out your youthful good looks if they try to give you a senior's discount again.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about those small past amounts. You could donate the money to some charity if you want.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

bobcares is offline [email protected]
    I was reading one of your blogs -
    I was gonna write. But then not. Then again; why not?
    I had a subject.
    I had a plan.
    Then I forgot.
    So, I started again. But, it seems whenever I start, something comes up. But then, something’s always coming up anywho.
    hmmm . . . Let me rephrase that.......

I think it is a nice thing that you are getting the discount. At your stage in life, you really deserve it.... ;-)

Amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares...."

Keep it and apply for a seniors card
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcares
    . . . I think it is a nice thing that you are getting the discount. At your stage in life, you really deserve it.... ;-)
    Yes, I'm a big proponant of looking after the elderly and more fragile members of society.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Take it while it's still offered, if you hold out until you really qualify it won't be there any more. Case in point: Colorado's ski industry. My Mom turns 65 this week. Twenty years ago, skiers over the age of fifty skied free (most ski areas collude on this issue). By the time Mom was fifty, the age was 55. By the time she turned 60, it was 65. Now, they can't go on like this forever, can they? This year's age (or so I've heard) cutoff for the senior discount is 67.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Folks it can be a little frightening when you suddenly realise your geetting past it. Now we all know Dennis does a wonderful job here, and at his age the pressure must get to him sometimes. I think we should take up a collection and buy him some new slippers so he can put his feet up and relax, and perhpas some bath salt to ease his creaking bones.

What was that famous words in the song, "Will you still need me, will you still love me when I'm 64."

When I get older losing my hair,Many years from now.
    Will you still be sending me a valentine Birthday greetings bottle of wine.
    If I'd been out till quarter to threeWould you lock the door,Will you still need me, will you still feed me,When I'm sixty-four.
    You'll be older too,And if you say the word,I could stay with you.
    I could be handy, mending a fuseWhen your lights have gone.
    You can knit a sweater by the firesideSunday mornings go for a ride,
    Doing the garden, digging the weeds,Who could ask for more.Will you still need me, will you still feed me,When I'm sixty-four.
    Every summer we can rent a cottage,In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dearWe shall scrimp and saveGrandchildren on your kneeVera ,Chuck & Dave
    Send me a postcard, drop me a line,Stating point of viewIndicate precisely what you mean to sayYours sincerely, wasting away
    Give me your answer, fill in a formMine for evermoreWill you still need me, will you still feed me,When I'm sixty-four.

Doc
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 11-10-2005 at 08:11 AM.
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor
    . . . when I'm 64 . . .
    In '70 or '71, this was one of the songs we did in a garage band I was in. Just something to give us a break.

We played mostly private functions. But, occasionally accepted a gig at a bar.

The bar crowd never got it. But, we did it anyway.

Back to the old bit . . .

This, as I stated in the opening, is the third time it's happened at a store. And they were all different stores.

When it happened at a restaurant (Old Country Buffet, for those of you that know of it), I had them take it back (or add it in; depending on your perspective). Something about the clerk proclaiming to the line checking in that they were adding the Senior Discount made me notice.

Of course, I blamed it on the old woman I was with.

Are you annoyed because they think your an old fogey or are you honest enough not to want a discount your not entitled to?

If it were me i would say nothing and hope they gave me it every time i shopped there.

Or on the other hand are you an old fogey and upset that they noticed.

Of course, I blamed it on the old woman I was with.

Uhhh huh!!! Old woman ehh?!
    Heck, keep the discount. Besides that...some places have a different age to qualify for the senior citizen discount. 50 gets a discount at various places
    U are a member of AARP arent you? Advanced Association Retired Persons?
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    Uhhh huh!!! Old woman ehh?!
    Heck, keep the discount. Besides that...some places have a different age to qualify for the senior citizen discount. 50 gets a discount at various places
    U are a member of AARP arent you? Advanced Association Retired Persons?
    haha . . well, I couldn't wait to turn 50 so I could join AARP (American Association of Retired Persons). It's a pretty big group and gets pretty good deals. These days, it seems that AARP just stands for AARP though.

But, at least they let you know that it starts at 50.

Most stores I know start seniors at 62/65; somewhere around there.

I think I need to ask this latest store when they start the senior discount. Maybe they start it at 25!
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 11-10-2005 at 01:07 PM.

I'm a frugal person, so if anyone wants to give me a discount, that's fine with me.

I would never REQUEST a discount I am not eligible for, but if someone just hands it to me without a word and I don't even realize it until after I get home, I'd just be happy I saved a bit of money.

I've been asst. manager in a few movie theatres that gave Senior discounts and it was the same in all of them - you didn't ever ASK them if they wanted the discount and you didn't automatically give it to them, even if they looked like they were 90 years old, because some people will be offended even if they are entitled to the discount. And you never asked for proof of age if they requested the discount either, unless they were obviously WAY under the required age. Pretty much if they looked like it's POSSIBLE they could be old enough, AND they asked for the discount, they got it, otherwise they paid regular price. (Oh, and btw, don't ever go to the theatre with your date/spouse/whatever and request for "One adult and one senior" or "One adult and one child" tickets and think that the box office person will think that's really funny because they hear that one every day and after the first 100 times or so it's just not that funny anymore... heh)

haha . . well, I couldn't wait to turn 50 so I could join AARP (American Association of Retired Persons).
    I couldn't wait for my HUSBAND to turn 50 because when he could get the card, I got one too as his spouse even though I had a few years to go before I could qualify on my own. I wasn't in a hurry to be 50 myself. hee hee hee

haha . . well, I couldn't wait to turn 50 so I could join AARP (American Association of Retired Persons). It's a pretty big group and gets pretty good deals. These days, it seems that AARP just stands for AARP though.

But, at least they let you know that it starts at 50.

Most stores I know start seniors at 62/65; somewhere around there.

I think I need to ask this latest store when they start the senior discount. Maybe they start it at 25!

Ahh!! I said Advanced and not American (for AARP)
    Gotta love it...I agree 62/65 is what WE used to call seniors, BUT like you are seeing there I see the same in Texas. In fact, I think its IHOP, and Long John Silvers (fish place) send out coupons for "50 and over"
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999