Looking for VPS Hosting recommendation

My Requirements:
    1. Host multiple Windows based high traffic forum sites (Community Server)
    2. Be able to install/run SQL Server 2000 Enterprise
    3. ASP.NET
    4. Have full control over the IIS webserver via the IIS Console
    5. Willing to pay upto $150/month

Case 1: ServerIntellect
    I am having no luck with VPS providers, first I sign up with ServerIntellect, they change my credit card and do nothing else. No email saying an account has been set up etc, I email them back and I get no response for days, finally after several emails I ask them to cancel my account, which they say they will do but I have yet to see my refund.

Case 2: WebIntellect
    I sign up with these guys for a $100 plan, seems like a good deal. Their response is fast. But turns out these guys have no experience hosting a windows based VPS, as a result the VPS is constantly down, they respond to my tickets fast, but the problem continues. I finally manage to get one of my sites up and running, but it is constantly running crashing due to out of memory exceptions, and the hold VPS is highly unstable. So I am probably going to have to switch again.

What I need help with:
    1. Is the fact that I am trying to run SQL Server 2000 putting too much stress on a VPS account?
    2. Should I be looking for dedicated hosting?
    3. Can someone please recommend a solid Windows Enterprise based VPS hosting service. I am willing to pay even more if it is stable and fast.
    4. Can someone also recommend a reasonably priced dedicated hosting provider?
    5. What else should I be asking?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhonest
    My Requirements:
    1. Host multiple Windows based high traffic forum sites (Community Server)
    2. Be able to install/run SQL Server 2000 Enterprise
    3. ASP.NET
    4. Have full control over the IIS webserver via the IIS Console
    5. Willing to pay upto $150/month

You have mentioned that you want to be able to run SQL Server 200 Enterprise edition. This is likely also the reason you are having problems on a VDS as SQL Server consumes a lot of resources. You also mention that this is high traffic forum sites, so I am assuming that the DB activity is quite high. I would suggest looking at a dedicated server (which you should be able to find in your price range pretty easily).

I am also slightly curious as to why you are using Enterprise edition SQL vs. Standard edition. I have only seen Enterprise edition used for larger DB solutions that require clustering.

Quote Originally Posted by scanale

I am also slightly curious as to why you are using Enterprise edition SQL vs. Standard edition. I have only seen Enterprise edition used for larger DB solutions that require clustering.

I am running SQL Enterprise edition simply because I own a licence for it and am familiar with it, Standard edition consumes considerably less server resources? I am leaning toward getting a dedicated box, most likely with hivelocity which I found advertised on this board. Lets see what happens.

Well the recommend resource amount for either Standard or Enterprise Edition is 1Ghz for the processor and 1GB of RAM. That amount of RAM is pretty high for a VPS with most providers. What is the minimum amount (not the burstable amount) of RAM you are guaranteed with the providers you have been utilizing in the past?

Enterprise doesn't use a lot more resources than Standard, but the licencing cost is substantially more. If you already own the licences though, you have that part covered already.

How come realvps.com's whois is hidden?

..and your own whois?

Quote Originally Posted by mrhonest
    Case 1: ServerIntellect
    I am having no luck with VPS providers, first I sign up with ServerIntellect, they change my credit card and do nothing else. No email saying an account has been set up etc, I email them back and I get no response for days, finally after several emails I ask them to cancel my account, which they say they will do but I have yet to see my refund.
    I had ServerIntellect.com close my support request last week without even replying to me! I asked why and they just gave me the run-around. Don't waste your time...

Wow,

I don't come here much but I am a bit shocked by what I am reading.

I am highly suspicious of a lot of the comments from these forums, to the point where I questions the validly of most of them.

We have been serving thousands of happy customers for years and we are always available to assist.

For an accurate assessment of our customer satisfaction I suggest you read our Testimonials Page http://www.serverintellect.com/testimonials.aspx or simple search www.google.com for our company name.

Do not believe everything you read on WebHostingTalk.

As far as bigtoga's or "Scott's" comments are concerned, your audacity absolutely shocks me.

You have made 3 comments here on WHT and all 3 are bashing Server Intellect.

When you 1st started with us 2 years ago we gave you 6 months of Free hosting in exchange for advertising on your websites, which you never actually developed. We received excuse after excuse. We never saw anything in return for that $200 investment. Well, I guess you can say we've seen this in return now (Thanks).

We have well over 50 support tickets from you and over 20 this month alone.

We have tried every way possible to assist you Scott with you "Spam Filter" problem, to the point of opening a support case with the Mail Server Software manufacturer (SmarterMail).

Scott, I actually have 5 emails from you just today in regards to your "Spam Filter" problem, which we are still working on for you.

If you are so displeased with us, I don't understand why you continue to use our service.

Thank You,
    Last edited by Server Intellect; 03-21-2006 at 06:11 PM.