Help for a hosting newbie

I need a hosting plan where I can host multiple domains, some business, some personal. I was thinking a reseller plan would be what I need, but now I run across VPS, which might be better. What do you guys think? What are the advantages of either? With VPS you can run your own programs? Thanks

With a VPS you can run your own programs and do have more control however it also really helps to have expierence of using the UNIX command line if you go that route. If starting out I would go for a reseller

Rus
    Rus Foster - Director of Cloud @ UK2 Group
    VPS.net - True Cloud Hosting powered by OnApp and HP SANS
    Tel: +447714137805 | Email: rghf@uk2group.com

Thanks for the suggestion. Yea I thought this might be over my head when I read the sticky in this forum Reseller it is!

Quote Originally Posted by vaserv
    With a VPS you can run your own programs and do have more control however it also really helps to have expierence of using the UNIX command line if you go that route. If starting out I would go for a reseller

Rus

I agree with vaserv. Although most VPS plans can include a control panel to help you manage your VPS, if you have limited or no experience administering your own server you may want to start out with a reseller plan.
    Steven Canale
    VP of Sales & Marketing
    www.SoftLayer.com - sales@SoftLayer.com
    (866) 398-7638 or (214) 442-0602

But while using your reseller plan, I'd recommend that you install a linux distro on a home machine (or use a virtual machine such as http://www.vmware.com) - and start learning It doesn't take long to learn the basics of linux administration.

6. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com