Question about server

Hope this is where it goes.

I have a forum that has around 4k members at the moment. We are going through mass expansion with around 100-150 users a day registering. What type of server set-up would be the best to use?

I was looking at a dual xeon 2.4's from layeredtech but have the feeling that we will fastly outgrow it. The forum runs on vbulletin and there is also around 60 hosted sites on the server aswell. Will one dual xeon server be able to keep up if we grow to have 1k-2k users on at a time?

If you have an admin whom can properly optimize the server for you then there is no reason why that shouldnt work for you.

How much traffic is on the other sites located on the server?

2 of the sites average around 1-2 million page views and 10k uniques a month. not alot of resource intensive sites. But we expect this forum to end up with having 2k-4k users online at a time within the next 3 months

Well I wouldnt say that adam.. Ram is a large factor in this.. 512 surely would not cut it
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

its a dual xeon 2.4 with 1gb ram. Im really curious to know if i should go ahead and up the ram to 2-3gb and see if it will hold.

the Dual Xeon 2.4ghz w/1GB will not handle 2-4k online at one time

1GB of RAM? Not close, if you want to be safe you would need atleast a few GB of RAM.

any suggestions? open to any and all

I would say for with 2-3GB of RAM in the server.

You could host the web sites separate from the forum. This should give you a lot more room to go. In short, two servers would be a better move. If your 60 websites are not as active as your forums, you could probably survive with a simple 1gb P4 2.4 server for the websites and maybe a 2gb based server Dual Xeon for your forum. Add more RAM as and when needed so it would not hurt your pocket that much.

yeah we are probably gonna have to go with the dual xeon with 2gb ram at the moment. but still in search of others who have experience with this large of a forum. we gained 270 users yesterday and i dont forsee a slow down.

still seeking suggestions

As scanale said,

Shove your database on a seperate box - this is usually the favourite physical architecture of large forums.

Take it with 2 gb ram instead,you wont be disapointed
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

might want to think about load balancing as well down the road. As far as databases are concerned I would think strongly about Opterons and Scsi and upwards of 3-4gb ram. For the 60 websites I would probably use a second (or 3rd) lower end server if they arent resource intensive (sempron)