best deal right now: godaddy/namecheap

hi,

can you tell me which is the better deal right now:

between godaddy and namecheap -- godaddy is offering full email package.Namecheap is offering whois lock -- something like that.

I am new to this -- so can somene please walk me thru both the deals and tell me which is better.

also Q2) do new domain registrations get cheaper towards thanksgiving time -- more/better deals during holiday season?

thanks
    PS: I was certain godaddy was $6.95 few days ago.

I've used both and NameCheap is definitely the winner here. NC's support is better, their control panel is better, not to mention a free WhoisGuard is worth the price of admission alone (ie. no spam and anonymous Whois results = privacy and peace of mind). Go for NameCheap, by far the better choice, imho.

Trip

Quote Originally Posted by vj135
    hi,

can you tell me which is the better deal right now:

between godaddy and namecheap -- godaddy is offering full email package.Namecheap is offering whois lock -- something like that.

I am new to this -- so can somene please walk me thru both the deals and tell me which is better.

also Q2) do new domain registrations get cheaper towards thanksgiving time -- more/better deals during holiday season?

thanks
    PS: I was certain godaddy was $6.95 few days ago.
    The answer depends on your needs.

NameCheap offers free whois protection so people viewing the whois information for the domain will not be able to see your name and address. This also cuts down on spam, as some spammers do datamine the whois directory. If you plan on running a business website, a technical savvy person may see that you block the whois information, and may find it risky to do business with you. NameCheap offers Domain Registration for $8.88/year.

GoDaddy is offering 1-Year of Complete Email for free. This gives you 1 email address @yourdomain.com and 25MB of storage space for that E-Mail. Most Web Hosting companies will give you multiple email addresses included free with your Web Hosting account. Will you be using your domain for a Web Site, or do you only need it for E-Mail? If you need it for more than just E-Mail, you are going to have to find a Web Host anyhow, so you can just use the E-Mail included with your Hosting Account. 1 Email address is very limiting anyhow, I usually have at least a few for each domain I own. (GoDaddy offers .us and .biz domains for $6.95 per year, and also .com's if you register for 10 years) GoDaddy's regular price on .com's or .net's is $7.95/year.

I have used both GoDaddy and NameCheap for domain registrations. Currently, all my domains are with NameCheap. The reason I continue to choose NameCheap for new registrations is because their customer support is top notch. I have had to email their support twice, and both times I received responses in under 1 hour. Their free whois guard does come in handy for my personal domains, but I have never used it on a business domain.

Hope this helps,
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Hello vj135,

Take a look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 . That is the right forum for you. There you'll find also a thread called GoDaddy / Namecheap Coupon Codes.

If a buck matters, you can save one for the first year of a registration if you register it with domainsite.com .

If you want to register a new .net domain, then go with moniker.com and register it for a couple of years, you'll save a lot in that way.
    Life is too short for 56k!

Quote Originally Posted by Fulk
    Hello vj135,

Take a look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 . That is the right forum for you. There you'll find also a thread called GoDaddy / Namecheap Coupon Codes.

If a buck matters, you can save one for the first year of a registration if you register it with domainsite.com .

If you want to register a new .net domain, then go with moniker.com and register it for a couple of years, you'll save a lot in that way.
    Thanks for the info.

i never had problems with godady. I high recommend them

I registered/purchased my domain with namecheap.------ so far so good i am happy