Windows License?

Hi

Would any provider install a legal 180-day evaluation version of windows 2003 web editionfor me or would they use my license without charging any extra premium for windows?

Any such special provider or all do it?

thanks

I don't think they'll install a 180 day evaluation. Most use imaging software to quickly prepare servers. Keep in mind that many datacenters offer windows server 2003 at a reasonable monthly cost added on to your base dedicated server package.

I cannot think of any provider who would be willing to do this. However since most dedicated servers are on a month to month contract anyway, why not pay the extra charge for the month or two while you are evaluating the software and then if you do not wish to keep using it have the OS reloaded and request they take the additional charges off your bill going forward?

Well, not all.

Many don't provide windows, most charge anything between 20-40 and there are only a few that charge $10 - which seems nominal.

scanale,

I want to use windows permanently, but most providers I came across, charge heavy - $30+. So I'm looking to use my own license or have the trial version and use my key on it then..

No way possible?

If you have a full key some DC's will waive the fee if you use it. None I know of will use a 180 day trial.

Full Key?

You mean the 25 Digit Serial Key, right? Yes, I have it.

Those that don't seem to charge additionally, have the fees covered already in the final price. Or maybe you know some provider that I'm unaware of?

Being a Non-US, colocation is not for me. Uh!

Do you also have a COA or document that you can produce to prove to the datacentre you are actually using a legal version/key?

Most DC's will require that you do this purely because if they don't, and you are using unlicensed software, they can be sued for negligence.

Quote Originally Posted by openXS
    Full Key?

You mean the 25 Digit Serial Key, right? Yes, I have it.

Most places will want you to scan the key and license information as well. So sending in your trial key won't do any good..

ok, I have the authenticity certificate and I guess everything required, should work.

thanks

You are gonna probably wanna look into a spla if you use this for commerce or hosting however. Simply owning a copy does not grant you this right.

http://www.microsoft.com/serviceprov...g/default.mspx
    Reseller-Network.Com
    Hsphere, DirectAdmin, or Helm. Windows 2003 & Unix Reseller,Shared,and Dedicated Hosting.
    *Multi-Homed* *Usage-Based* *Adult Content Allowed*

Not commerce or hosting. Server is just for application testing and storage purpose, is that acceptable?

As long as you are not hosting then you don't need spla. A standard licence is all that is needed for your purposes.