Microsoft may buy stake in AOL

All the speculation of Google and Comcast teaming up to buy a stake in AOL seems to be not coming along at all... Looks as if it's going to Microsoft who is going to buy a majority stake in AOL.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051107/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

NEW YORK - Microsoft Corp. has emerged as the front-runner in talks surrounding the potential sale of a stake in America Online.

Several issues could delay any potential transaction. The New York Times reports one issue is whether such an alliance would be another risky partnership for Time Warner Inc. The company is also looking at whether a new partner at AOL could help Time Warner navigate the digital world.

Microsoft approached AOL several months ago to discuss joint ventures, but any agreement is still likely weeks away.

Last week Time Warner's chairman and chief executive, Richard Parsons, acknowledged the talks. But he says the discussions are very fluid, and they don't know whether a deal will even be reached.

varg,

Microsoft has been in talks with Time Warner about this since at least May. Google and Comcast were newcomers to the scene about a month ago. It is highly likely that Microsoft will indeed get AOL, although I don't know why they would want them - AOL is quite crappy and has earned a very bad reputation with all but a few people.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

this has been posted a few times before, please seach first
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by GroveStreetNetworks
    this has been posted a few times before, please seach first
    I'm pretty sure that this new article hasn't been posted, as it is a current development.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameweb
    varg,

Microsoft has been in talks with Time Warner about this since at least May. Google and Comcast were newcomers to the scene about a month ago. It is highly likely that Microsoft will indeed get AOL, although I don't know why they would want them - AOL is quite crappy and has earned a very bad reputation with all but a few people.
    If Google and Comcast acquired a majority stake in AOL, Google would have AOL.com, which gets quite a few hits. Google makes AOL millions of dollars with AdWords, and Comcast could encourage AOL's customers to move up to broadband. AOL also has a pretty big network overseas, and as well as in the US. Google and Comcast are looking for media content which AOL has, so it would help both companies. AOL is crap I agree, but maybe just maybe Google and Comcast could salvage it.

Microsoft and AOL diserve eachother

Quote Originally Posted by Hostex Australia
    Microsoft and AOL diserve eachother
    Lol - certainly yes! If Microsoft is dumb enough to buy them, let it happen I say!

AOL has a very large userbase on AIM which is one of the main reasons Microsoft will be wanting to get in there - so they can allow AIM and MSN users to communicate between the two (as they're looking todo with Y!IM).

Plus the number of visits to AOLs portal is extremely high too and therefore worthwhile combining no doubt with MSN.

Red face

Do those idiots have to have thier hands in EVERYTHING online??

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

I would hardly call them 'idiots'. They've been extremely clever in getting where they've got to today... and you can't knock there intelligence because they got there.

I actually wouldn't mind Microsoft's hands in everything - I am sure it would bring much-needed order to the Internet. I just think they're making a mistake by doing it through AOL.

mynameweb - I do agree that AOL isn't a particularly great company in my books either. However, I really don't think they're doing it to get into the dialup/broadband market but instead to get control of the users that use the AOL portal and the AIM service - both of which have a very significant number of users.

I seem to recall that if AIM and MSN combined then that would result in the largest Instant Messaging user base around...

Quote Originally Posted by KI-ChrisE
    mynameweb - I do agree that AOL isn't a particularly great company in my books either. However, I really don't think they're doing it to get into the dialup/broadband market but instead to get control of the users that use the AOL portal and the AIM service - both of which have a very significant number of users.

I seem to recall that if AIM and MSN combined then that would result in the largest Instant Messaging user base around...
    You're right - Microsoft is not making this purchase to acquire AOL's connection base, which is steadily declining. I agree that they are doing it to acquire AOL's "page views", but, most of AOL's page views come from AOL connection subscribers, which are dropping at a fast rate.

So what exactly will Microsoft have twelve months out? You mention MSN Messenger and AIM, but they will be fairly complicated to connect, as they use completely differenct technologies. It won't be like flipping a switch.

I agree with you on the reasons why Microsoft is doing this - I just don't think they are good reasons. I'll say it again - it will be interesting to see what becomes of this!

Quote Originally Posted by KI-ChrisE

Microsoft already has a huge Internet customer base, through MSN. They don't need AOL to get into the dialup business. MSN has millions of dialup customers of its own and DSL users who use the MSN software that have teamed up with local telcos such as Qwest.

What google services could microsoft block by doing this?

They're not looking to block anyone, mikelamb. They're looking to compete on the Internet, because they still haven't figured it out.

A purchase of AOL would give them the largest base of "eyeballs" on the Internet, but I think it would only be for a time. Folks are leaving AOL in droves, and I personally think it's stupid of Microsoft to even waste their time on them.

But then again, if Google gets AOL, I don't think that would be a good thing.

MS is just trying to take over the internet,people's private lives,etc.....

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

MS is just trying to take over the internet,people's private lives,etc.....
    I have a very tiny incy wincy feeling that you're against MS in a big way. Still, each to their own.