[review] DevotedHost.biz

I recently switched from a webhost I used for a 2+ years for reseller hosting to DevotedHost.biz (I will abbreviate to DH for the rest of this post). My previous host had a change in management and a move to another service seemed like a good idea. I don't sell hosting so the use of a reseller account is just for personal projects, so the risk was minimal.

I have only been with DH for a week, but I thought I might offer an initial review. If my impression changes after 6 months of service, I will certainly come back and note a change in service.

Signup
    =====
    The signup process was easy, and the welcome email was received in under an hour. They only accept Paypal at this time, but I have no problem with this - I prefer Paypal. DH sends an automated email to you when your root domain propagates to their servers - I'm not sure if this is common now, but it wasn't in my previous experience with hosts a few years ago. Nice touch. Overall, it was a clean signup experience. My only regret is that I did not notice a coupon code offered on their homepage that offered a 20% discount for reseller account signups. Ah well.

Pricing
    =====
    I am not going to detail their pricing structure as I don't want this review to be an ad, but at the time that this was written they have some pretty good deals.

Account Info
    =========
    They offer a Client section on their site that is separate form their helpdesk that allows you to view your recurring charges/invoice due dates, resend your welcome email, and cancel your account. My prior host required a perldesk ticket for any of these actions. While I imagine automated account tasks are now common in the hosting industry, it was nice to see a newly formed, low-cost host offer this.

Servers
    ======
    The speed of the servers/connection is noteworthy. It is much faster than my previous host - I'm impressed. I hope this speed remains stable after they take on more clients. Time will tell.

Support
    ======
    I had an issue where a perfectly sound PHP script wouldn't function. I entered a helpdesk ticket and the issue was resolved within 24 hours. The port assigned for SMTP differed from my previous server and the helpdesk agent was quick to suggest a fix to my script, and did so in a professional way. I have read too many ticket transcripts here in which the helpdesk agent was terse and short to the client. This wasn't the case with my initial DH ticket.

Overall
    =====
    I am very impressed with this new host. The service, speed, and support appears to be quality. This is a company that started taking clients in March 2005 and it will be interesting to see how service and/or performance change as they take on more clients. On a gut reaction, I think that they will be up to the task.

I hope this was helpful to anyone searching for a review for this host that is more than a paragraph. Once again, this is an initial positive reaction. If things change, I will post a followup here.

Regards,
    Sem.

Thanks for the review Sem, pleased to hear you are enjoying your stay so far.
    Devoted Host
    Quality Shared and Reseller Web Hosting
    http://devotedhost.net/
    MegaBlog!

Quote Originally Posted by Sem
    I have only been with DH for a week, but I thought I might offer an initial review. If my impression changes after 6 months of service, I will certainly come back and note a change in service.
    Even if there isn't a change in your service and you are still happy please come back in a few months and let us know that, too.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience in a few months

I hope the pleasant experience continues for as long as you are with them.

I have recently signed up with DH as well and can safely say that Sem is right on the money with regards his analysis.

Apart from one episode where there were problems regarding the help desk (but which were quickly resolved) I have had no reason to complain.

The only downside is that there is no billing software, but then this is comparable to other hosts.

Nice to read a well-written review, although I am also curious about how it will work out in the long run.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

its good to see a host thats only been around for a few months offer quality support, i hope to hear what yo have to say in a few months
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

And looking at it's pricing, looks quite good.

but ya, long term is more important.

I've set some Outlook tasks and will post an update one month, three months and six months from now for the WHT community at large. Just for grins. Subscribe to thread if you care

dhAndrew - thanks for the welcome and keep up the good work. Tony in support was very helpful.
    Last edited by Sem; 11-07-2005 at 10:12 PM.

Well, it looks like I hosed myself - I could have gotten 5 times the disk space for $4 more than I am paying now

Just trying to help my fellow consumer:
    Link

If you are checking this months after this post date, do a search on WHT. Just like I didn't. Note to self: don't shop for a new host while enjoying Guinness or you might forget to search for blatant offers.
    Last edited by Sem; 11-07-2005 at 10:41 PM.

I'm sneaky with the deals you need to watch for them
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!