domain renewal help! i can't renew!

Hi!

i registered a domain for a client through boostdomains.com, and it expired and has been cancelled.

now my client wants it online again. when i click "My Account", the domain isn't there anymore. and when i tried to register it, it says the domain name is taken (whois says it's registrar-locked).

how do i renew the domain?

i tried the email support page, but received no response (though their page says i'll get a response within 9 hours...it's been two days).

how to renew domains in cases like this?

please help! i need to get this up! i tried support@boostdomains.com, but only get bounced email...

it may had been taken by someone else.
    What's the expiry date?
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

hi, the expiry date is october 7, 2005. i doubt it has been taken by someone else since the domain name is not that kind of domain that people would normally buy (it's their company's name plus some words).

when i go check whois, it says it's not in registrar's database, but says its status is: REGISTRAR-LOCK

help!

What is the domain name?
    Domain Maven

First lookup the domain's WHOIS record. Use whois.sc, allwhois.com, etc.

Since you said the domain's no longer inside the account, I'm guessing it's on RGP
    or Redemption Grace Period. The domain's "Status" line will tell you what state it's
    in.

If you're not familiar with the domain's life cycle, the link below will help:

http://www.domaintoolbox.com/dropcycle.php

takes a month or two for a domain to drop
    http://www.domain-retriever.com/images/life.gif
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

argh...i go to allwhois.com and i get this:

Domain Name: <withheld_by_me>.COM
    Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.wildwestdomains.com
    Referral URL: http://www.wildwestdomains.com
    Name Server: PARK19.SECURESERVER.NET
    Name Server: PARK20.SECURESERVER.NET
    Updated Date: 17-oct-2005
    Creation Date: 12-oct-2004
    Expiration Date: 12-oct-2006

it expires on 2006??? but it got registrar-lock??? and i got emails about it expiring? and the domain disappears from "My Accounts" so i couldn't renew it either.

and their support isn't replying!

help!

this is the registry expire date which adds 1 year for expire date waiting for the registrar to renew or delete it.

try using whois.sc/<withheld_by_me>.COM and see the registrar expire date not the registry's
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

The .com Registry autorenews an expired name for 1 year and bills the sponsoring
    registrar accordingly for it. The registrar can request early deletion from 1-45 days
    and be refunded for the autorenew.

Since the WHOIS revealed the domain's with WWD, better contact them to find out
    more.

Whoops, just saw Bashar reply first.

I tried whois.sc/<withheld_by_me>.com, it says:

Name Server: PARK19.SECURESERVER.NET PARK20.SECURESERVER.NET
    ICANN Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
    Created: 12-oct-2004
    Expires: 12-oct-2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Domain is available

Domain is available but i can't renew the domain? and expiration date there is still 2006 although i'm assuming from what you guys said about the 1 year extension.

i registered it through boostdomains.com (which seems like a reseller of WWD?), would WWD help me? i've sent them an email, i'm still waiting for their reply.

WWD normally provides support for their resellers. Try to contact them directly
    Domain Maven

yup, i've sent them emails a few hours ago. i hope they respond. i'll let you guys know what happens.

thanks!

(btw, if there's another way to solve this dilemma, lemme know )

They also offer phone support, you may look into that as well
    Domain Maven

ok they replied. they said it's USD$80 to renew it. my goodness! it's as if i register a domain, and once it expires, they kidnap that domain for a certain period and charge you $80 if you want it. that's wrong!

i ask them now when it'll be totally released so i can re-register it. i hope it's soon.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadph
    ok they replied. they said it's USD$80 to renew it. my goodness! it's as if i register a domain, and once it expires, they kidnap that domain for a certain period and charge you $80 if you want it. that's wrong!

i ask them now when it'll be totally released so i can re-register it. i hope it's soon.
    Understandable why you feel that way. But what they did is a "standard business
    practice" among domain name registrars.

Refer to the links Bashar and I posted previously:

http://www.domain-retriever.com/images/life.gif
    http://www.domaintoolbox.com/dropcycle.php

Note that a registrar can choose to give a "grace period" for an expired name from
    1-45 days. Registrars do incur costs providing such.

If the domain isn't renewed on time, the domain name is deleted. However, the
    last sponsoring registrar can redeem it at a higher fee.

Note this portion from WWD's legal fine prints:

http://www.wildwestdomains.com/gdsho...&pageid=REG_SA

If you fail to renew your domain name, you agree that Wild West may, at its sole discretion, renew your expired domain name on your behalf. If Wild West decides to renew your expired domain name on your behalf you will have a Renewal Grace Period during which you may reimburse Wild West for the renewal and keep your domain name. The Renewal Grace Period is currently 12 days but subject to change under the terms of Section 2 of this Agreement. If you do not reimburse Wild West for the renewal during the Renewal Grace Period your domain name will be placed on Hold and flagged for deletion after which you will have a 30 day redemption period during which you may pay Wild West a Redemption fee and redeem your domain name. The Redemption fee is currently $80 USD and is subject to change under the terms of Section 2 of this agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the 30 day redemption period Wild West may, at its sole discretion, delete your domain name or transfer it to another registrant on your behalf.

If your domain is deleted, the Registry also provides a 30 day Redemption Grace Period during which you may pay Wild West a redemption fee and redeem your domain name. The redemption fee is currently $80 USD and is subject to change under the terms of Section 2 of this agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the Registry’s Redemption Grace Period the Registry will release your name and it will become available for registration on a first-come-first-served basis.
    If you choose to redeem the domain, the registrar will restore it to its last account
    before anyone else grabs it. But since you choose to wait, just count 35-36 days
    from the domain's "Last Updated Date" in the WHOIS.

Your screenshot gave the date as 17-oct-2005. That when the expired name was
    deleted, so count 35-36 days from Oct. 17.

The link below can also give you a rough date when it'll become available:

http://www.freewho.com/checker/

Hope this helps.

hmm...35-36 days means the latter part of November...

@davezan - i got lost in part of what you quoted, 30 days for redemption period, and then they'll delete it. after they delete it, another 30 days which will cost $80? is that 60 days total after oct. 17 or still 35-36 days?

thanks.

some registrars charges RGP fee even if the domain is still in their custody such as REGISTRAR-LOCK and hasn't fall into registry's hand yet

dunno why they do it though

$80 is good, some registrars like enom charges $160...

Quote Originally Posted by nomadph
    hmm...35-36 days means the latter part of November...

@davezan - i got lost in part of what you quoted, 30 days for redemption period, and then they'll delete it. after they delete it, another 30 days which will cost $80? is that 60 days total after oct. 17 or still 35-36 days?

thanks.
    30 days RGP, then 5 days Pending Delete, then the Registry will release the name
    on the 6th day after PD. The .com Registry supposedly releases .com between 1-
    2PM EST.

So in WWD's case:

1. Grace period is 12 days max.
    2. Domain's deleted and falls into RGP for 30 days.
    3. Domain switches from RGP to PD for 5 days.
    4. Registry supposedly releases the domain on the 6th day between 1-2PM EST.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashar
    some registrars charges RGP fee even if the domain is still in their custody such as REGISTRAR-LOCK and hasn't fall into registry's hand yet
    You mean Enom? Who else as far as you've found out?

Quote Originally Posted by davezan
    30 days RGP, then 5 days Pending Delete, then the Registry will release the name
    on the 6th day after PD. The .com Registry supposedly releases .com between 1-
    2PM EST.

So in WWD's case:

1. Grace period is 12 days max.
    2. Domain's deleted and falls into RGP for 30 days.
    3. Domain switches from RGP to PD for 5 days.
    4. Registry supposedly releases the domain on the 6th day between 1-2PM EST.

You mean Enom? Who else as far as you've found out?
    yeah enom, not sure if others are doing it too, haven't checked.