Thread: need so help

need so help

i have been designing webpages for the last 3 years and i always pay that 5 a month and i thought why not host it my self i have a pc with windows 2003 installed and i was wondering what i need to do from there

thanks in advance guys

Are these personal websites for yourself, or are people paying you to make them? If these are for paying clients, it is not recommended to host on your PC.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

You do not want to host of your own pc if these are important site. One user on DSL can use all you bandwidth as you only have a slow connection speed. Then there's the risk of power cuts, your connection going down etc. What you need is a reseller account from a reputable provider. You should be able to pick a good one up from £10-20 depending on your needs for space and bandwidth.

Once you have your reseller account you just need to create a sub account for each of the sites you want hosted there.

If you search through the offers forums for companies offering reseller accounts then look for reviews on thos companies you should find something suitable.

Hope that helps

Adam
    AMN WebTech
    We offer a variety of plans at competitive rates.
    Visit us for further details www.amnwebtech.co.uk

well the idea was that i was going to do it on my old pc at home i have aol 2mb unlimated and use that but the reseller situation seems to be quite a good idea

i would still like to know how to start hosting as i think it would be usefull.
    and i was going to host other peoples webspace on them

Well the home PC is a no go unless it's a small unimportant personal site, on the 2MB AOL account you will only have a 256kbps upload speed which is the important bit for hosting, this is no where near adequate for hosting a site with any volume of traffic.

If you wish to start with a reseller account your best bet is to sign up and have a play around, there isn't much to it really. I presume you are familiar with a control panel if you've been running sites for 3 years? if so which control panel do you use?
    AMN WebTech

well i have been making bits for family nothing to profesinal so i havent used control pannels
    basicly im trying to earn some money my main goal was to start hosting gameservers as theres good money in that and im doing some reseach and i just dont know how to go about it

Gameservers will not work well on a home server, you will need to be looking at a dedicated I would think. Unfortunately I have no experience with game servers but I'm certain there are people here who will be willing and able to give you some advice.

Good luck
    AMN WebTech