What do yo think of this answer from support? (ziggyhost)

Hi,
    I had a problem with my mail with this host so I sent a ticket to get help and got this answer that I find quite suspect:
    Hello,

In order to serve you best, please provide us with a method to recreate this issue. Please be sure to include at the very least the the cPanel username and password of the account that is having the issue.

If the issue is related to e-mail, please provide an e-mail address and password that is experiencing an issue, and we’ll be happy to take a look.

Please feel free to contact us at anytime if there is anything further we can assist you with.
    I don't have a lot of experience with web hosting but is it normal to ask for logins and passwords ?

Thank you and sorry for my english

Yes, it is fairly normal to ask for a login and password for cPanel (necessary for certain things). Also normal to ask for a method to recreate the issue.

Smile

Not sure why they need the password, typically they don't because they have full control over the server. A username is more than enough ~

However, when a person decides to cancel his subscription, asking for the password, email as well as requesting for the purchase receipt by email are useful for the customer service department to verify the true account owner ~

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA
    Not sure why they need the password, typically they don't because they have full control over the server. A username is more than enough ~

However, when a person decides to cancel his subscription, asking for the password, email as well as requesting for the purchase receipt by email are useful for the customer service department to verify the true account owner ~
    After working in the field I can tell you that indeed you do need to experience it through the customer's eyes. Just because it works with the root override doesn't mean it'll work with the user. phpmyadmin is picky about root password. Not sure about email accounts but if they needed to test a specifc account they would need the username/password of that account in order to test it with the same abilities as the client and recreate the error.

Smile

Depends on your control panel, I don't have to know the username and password to login to my customer account to test out and repair something. I just have to login as an admin and switch to that user and I am there to do whatever I can ~

Thank you for your fast answers, I must be a bit too paranoid but I get 10 emails a day asking me for my ebay/paypal/etc. password, and they had small problems yesterday

Not your not paranoid. Depending on the host will depend on if you need to supply a username and password. A host that actually keeps track of things (and not just the $$$ you pay) will have most of this information. A better answer in my opinion would ask for the error your getting, which email account, and possibly what software you use.

It is normal, if you have a email issue as the support staff will have to check if the emails are working or not. You can provide the password or can ask them to reset the password from cPanel as soon as your issue is resolved you can reset the password back to your choice of password.

Whenever I am needed to hand over a password, I change it to something else, once the problem is solved, I change it to the same password as before or to a new one.
    Luke
    oh yeah...

yer selpaw, thats a very good idea. I do the same thing aswell.
    Someone which gets access to your cpanel password could do alot of bad things to your site.

It really depends of the hosting software a company runs on its servers. However I agree that it is not a good idea at all to ask customer to provide sensible information. Did you contact them by e-mail. When you want a support operator to test your e-mail or ftp connection you may provide your password (The provider's representative should be able to see your username). They can also change it a send the new one to you.

Have a good one
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

I see no reason why a password is needed. With any control panel if you are of a higher status (admin/reseller) you can view/login as a user and modify if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA
    Depends on your control panel, I don't have to know the username and password to login to my customer account to test out and repair something. I just have to login as an admin and switch to that user and I am there to do whatever I can ~
    cPanel does the same but, it is a little limited (phpmyadmin) and sometimes it's just good to see exactly what the customer sees like pixelized said.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business