Where do I learn SEO?

First of all: I didn't know where to ask... so I thought I'd try in here.
    This forum seems to be an excellent one full of gold nuggets of information.

I design and host websites for several clients.
    I've never bothered with SEO before.

I want to become an expert in SEO.
    Where do I start?
    What recommended websites are there?
    What recommended books are there?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

SEO = Fraudulent trade

You would be best off learning good HTML/XHTML standards, that will work well for search engines. Second get sites linking to yours, that's about all you can do. If you just want to get high up in the search engines (PR) then that's to do with sites linking to you, it doesn't matter what contents on your site for that, you could just link to a splash.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicism
    SEO = Fraudulent trade
    I can`t totaly agree with you but indeed it can fall into that category sometimes when people use it as an illegal way. Still knowledge of SEO is very necessary for web developer.

I suggest you tryout seochat forums , and other webdevelopment forum`s SEO section. If you are not able to learn atleast you will prevent future damage to your site .
    | 2xhtmlCSS.com - PSD to XHTML/CSS to Wordpress
    | Web Hosting and Domain Blog

SEO will come natually with the keywords, descriptions, etc in your meta tags. Using a program like Google Adwords will also increase your search engine ranking.

PS - iWonder - I think the key you are looking for in next to the enter key ('), not the one next to the 1 (`)

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    SEO will come natually with the keywords, descriptions, etc in your meta tags. Using a program like Google Adwords will also increase your search engine ranking.
    There's a warning appropriate to this thread inherent in a couple of the posts -- be careful about "learning SEO" by reading forum posts.

Meta keywords and descriptions today are for the most part ignored by search engine ranking algorithms. And, advertising on Adwords will certainly be of no benefit in ranking in Google's regular listings. If it has any impact on other search engine, it would be negligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphicism
    SEO = Fraudulent trade

You would be best off learning good HTML/XHTML standards, that will work well for search engines. Second get sites linking to yours, that's about all you can do. If you just want to get high up in the search engines (PR) then that's to do with sites linking to you, it doesn't matter what contents on your site for that, you could just link to a splash.
    And another one. Disregarding the first comment for now, "PR" stands for PageRank, which is one measure of several that Google uses to determine the value of links. PageRank alone won't get you "high up in the search enignes," and on-page content absolutely is an important part of every search engines ranking processes.
    Last edited by JayC; 11-05-2005 at 10:41 PM.

guys thanks for the replies.
    i think i'll just have to go out and buy "dummy's guide to search engines".

Quote Originally Posted by OM2OM2
    guys thanks for the replies.
    i think i'll just have to go out and buy "dummy's guide to search engines".
    I'd be careful with that approach, too. At least you have to understand what you'd be getting.

The problems with books on a topic like that is that things are always changing. For example, Google is now rolling out the final stage of a major three-phase update. Plenty of us are going to be working for a while on trying to figure out how these latest algorithmic and indexing changes affect what has to be done to best optimize from this point forward (forward, that is, until the next set of changes). A book, which would have written close to a year ago at best, can't provide the most up-to-date information. On the other hand, the basics will likely continue to work for decent results in a lot of markets, so if that's what you're looking for a book could be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by softair
    Take a look to
    He's looking for resources where he could learn to do SEO himself, not for companies that provide SEO as a service.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

JayC

Thanks for the reply.
    I think I will go and buy the book.
    I need to learn the basics.
    I don't know about anyone else... but I hate reading off a computer screen.

softair: naughty naughty. People like you make the internet a horrible place to be.

I would recommend using google to search for "SEO Toolkit" and find the green site... (trying not to advertise!)

the site has a downloadable eBook, and regardless of what people are saying about SEO being dishonest and fraudulent, the fact remains that it works. This eBook doesnt just focus on meta tags etc., but it gives you a give of what to DO and what NOT to do, including guides on reciprocal linking, why mass search engine submission gets you banned from google.. etc.

SEO works guys... like it or not - get used to it

thanks.
    i'll go through that.
    to be honest... getting a book i was serious about...
    but... i would rather have read a 20-30 page guide that told me everything i needed to do... which froma book... i would have to read 300 pages.

softair... sorry mate... but from ur reply... u came over as a spammer foot soldier... it's not what ur intentions that matter... but rather the perceptions others get from ur actions.

in all honesty i have read a few books on search engine secrets etc. when i was learning about it myself.. one thing i have to say about it is that books are made to be sold, free ebooks are made to be informative.

also alot of the tips and "tricks" that are in the books are outdated, and no longer work thanks to our ever changing friend Google

Internet sources are the most reliable in this case, because afterall its the internet you are learning about. Plus electronic eBooks and articles are updated quite alot, whereas the pages in your hard-back "SEO For Dummies" are never updated

good luck

Daz

been looking at the link u gave... not sure it's all that good (only scan read so far).
    will let u know what i think when i finish reading.

sorry if this is advertising..

are you looking at the rlouse website?

ya... i am.
    that's the green one u were reffering to?