Question Most Difficult Aspect of Hosting?

Hello everyone, I wanted to get everyones opinions on what they have encountered to be the most difficult aspect of hosting. We have all found issues when starting a hosting company, but I would like to know from both the people who run the companies and the clients who reside with the companies, what are some key problems you see popping up frequently.

I feel that this post may help some individuals in searching for web hosting and starting a hosting company. So what do you all think?

I find the most difficult area in starting a webhosting company is finding decent staff to help. Surprising? Some may say money, some may say pricing, but I say staff. You need people you can trust, people who will help you when the clients overun! (Attack of the Clients!).

Learning from a past bad experience that took place not too long ago has helped me to raid my screening process when the time for hiring is near. I feel every company should be this way. Keep your requirements high and do thorough background checks with previous companies they have been with (contact those hosts). Also give them at least a week trail run before giving them access to your servers root or main account, this can be deadly. Just use common-sense and you will be well on your way. Hope this helps people!
    SwiftModders - Professional Web Design Services & WHMCS Themes
    Web Designs catered to web hosting and software providers!
    Check out the top-rated WHMCS Admin Panel Theme by SwiftModders

Quote Originally Posted by AllureHost
    I find the most difficult area in starting a webhosting company is finding decent staff to help.
    I agree with you there! Most of the time it's commitment problems and thats where it is most frustrating.
    -- Matthew

I do agree, having a good staff is very important - as the host grows, so does the list of demands from customers. Not even just *more requests* per se, but the variety of requests. Having a staff that is knowledgeable and friendly to the customer is absolutely vital.

Overcoming the occasional shortfall rests primarily on your level 1 or 2 customer support personnel, so they have to have a very firm grasp of at least the simple concepts of each division. Nothing is worse for a customer than calling support asking why their site/server is down and not getting at least an informed answer. It could be offline for any number of reasons from accounting to abuse. Your staff has to be able to differentiate and delegate.

You can't run a hosting company on your own for long - as you grow, so will the needs of all of your customers. While it's exceedingly difficult to equip yourself with a perfect staff, it's definitely worth it to try to achieve it in the long run.

We were very lucky with staff. In fact, since starting 5 years ago, we have only had 5 or 6 people leave, and those we kept at strictly top notch. But I realize that this was just dumb luck.

I think in our beginnings, I would say the toughest thing for us was finding new clients.
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

HA...you guys are totally off base.

The most difficult part of hosting is clients. Hosting would be a breeze if you could do away with the idiot clients..lol.

Thread moved to Running a Web Hosting Business.

The most difficult aspect I have ever experienced in the hosting industry has been getting the momentum going. Once you've got the ball rolling, Lord save anyone who gets in your way!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Get your billing systems right from day one and your legal paper work like terms of service, acceptable usage, etc. etc. all figured out.

Work most on your problem resolution and support standard operating procedures.

Get your documentation right - so when new staff comes in - they KNOW what to do and what to follow.

Rest falls into place.
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

Ermmm...as for me...there is only me and my other 2 frens running the services...we take care of each aspect of the service...i take care of shared services...my boss, same age as me, takes care of managed services...will the other on takes on dedicated servers...ermm...my suggestion for new companies is that you work wif ppl you noe first or ppl you trust, secondly you need to have shear dumb luck

Ermmm...i need a little bit of help in getting more customers

Use Google AdWords. It's done tremendously well for us!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

the most difficult is automation software,
    coz i pay programmer to make billing software integrated with cpanel and directi,
    may be this is my biggest mistake
    if i were known modern bill 1 years ago, i will use it.

too much error/bug in my software

thanks...i have to tell my boss about this...for it requires to payment....

getting clients....maybe the hardest and most important.

though staff can be tricky too. If you can't trust them, you can't have them!
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Getting clients may not always be the hardest, but is definitely the most important. Also, for staffing needs, don't forget to look into using managed servers or utilizing a 3rd party support company. If nothing else, they can be a helpful resource for your in-house support team.

Most difficult aspect is building a great team with experience and leadership qualities. Most people do not realise how people-oriented the hosting business is. Hardware and your network come secondary to having a good team. Ensuring your team can absorb loss i.e. someone going on a long vacation or a senior admin resigning is also important
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

The most difficult aspect is having a great team and enough people in your team to take any spikes in traffic you receive. Another is the idiots you get requests from, even if you have a good TOS they all seem to ignore it and request hosting not to mention they will spam you with requests or when asking for assitence.

Finding Customers is tough for any business, but when it comes down to your overall purpose that seperates you from the rest, not just by under or overpricing, but actually coming up with the perfect package that suites your client-base. I think it alls about the packing with hosting.

My two cents
    anyway.
    Jay~
    RackRhino Server Locations: MO, MI, NY, FL, UK
    Shared, Dedicated, Managed & Reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormhosts
    I agree with you there! Most of the time it's commitment problems and thats where it is most frustrating.
    A lot of the hosting companies I've contacted in the past pay a terrible wage, sometimes not even half legal minimum wage (though somehow they can get away with it).

I think if hosting companies paid decent wages they may find better staff.

Quote Originally Posted by bumfilter
    A lot of the hosting companies I've contacted in the past pay a terrible wage, sometimes not even half legal minimum wage (though somehow they can get away with it).

I think if hosting companies paid decent wages they may find better staff.
    Thats wrong of companies of any type to pay lower wages and it should not happen!!
    -- Matthew

For small hosts i think the hardest is finding where to get clients with out loosing a ton of money, when i started a long time ago this was the hardest part.

For bigger hosts I think the hardest is managing growth, having to expand so quickily when you take off can be very hard as you have to find good people and work very long hours.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company