Question Newbie needs quick rundown on ecommerce!

Confused!!!

I'm a newbie to ecommerce, know DreamWeaver, so not completely illiterate!!

I feel like...I'm chasing my tail on what to do first.

I know that I have to get a domain name, and I know how to do that. I'll be working out of my home, any horror stories with using my home address for WHOIS? Advice?

Although I can use DreamWeaver, I'm going to hire a web designer so my site is professional. I found the web designer of my dreams, I only hope that I can afford him! Okay, here's where I start chasing my tail. Do I tell him to plunk a shopping cart in there? Or do I have to find my webhost or gateway or merchant account first, to make sure that everyone is compatible??????

And I'm not quite getting the difference between gateways and merchant accounts. It seems like there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle. I had thought about Sam's Club or Costco for cc processing, but read another thread on that topic and I'm highly reconsidering it. And how do I know who is legit??

Help, please!!! My many thanks!

Ok it seems you need a lot of advice here...

Well first, a web designer is not really capable of doing a professional shopping cart, by that I mean you will not only need a designer but a good programmer. Dreamweaver may help a little on the design part, but most of the programmers use notepad.

I really recommend the following.

1) Get a shopping cart like osCommerce or Zen Cart, and find a good company that has experience on working with it, that way they can make a very custom looking site based on osCommerce.

2) osCommerce has already integration with multiple gateways, personally i recommend Authorize.net we've been working with it for many years on many e-commerce stores and is great.

3) many merchant providers have support for authorize.net, some more expensive than others, but if you research you can find the authorize.net for around $99 set up and $7.5/month.

4) Regarding your domain, many companies offer protection for the whois, yes it is better not to put your real info unless you are selling the domain.

5) Don't forget to get an SSL Certificate for your store, for that your host most provide you with a dedicated IP address.

Well i hope this helps a little, any questions post here.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

>Confused!!!

>I'm a newbie to ecommerce, know DreamWeaver, so not completely illiterate!!

>I feel like...I'm chasing my tail on what to do first.

>I know that I have to get a domain name, and I know how to do that. I'll be working out of my home, any horror stories with using my home address for WHOIS? Advice?

If you are doing legitimate business, there is no reason to hide with a po box or proxy. I won't buy from someont that uses a po box or proxy on their whois. I check the whois against the address on the website and make sure they match.

>Although I can use DreamWeaver, I'm going to hire a web designer so my site is professional. I found the web designer of my dreams, I only hope that I can afford him! Okay, here's where I start chasing my tail. Do I tell him to plunk a shopping cart in there? Or do I have to find my webhost or gateway or merchant account first, to make sure that everyone is compatible??????

Zen Cart is a good choice if you want to work with open source, otherwise try guru(dot)com for a website developer.

>And I'm not quite getting the difference between gateways and merchant accounts. It seems like there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle. I had thought about Sam's Club or Costco for cc processing, but read another thread on that topic and I'm highly reconsidering it. And how do I know who is legit??

If you are doing real time card authorization at the time of purchase, you need the gateway to talk to your cc processor. You have to get the gateway and processor from a merchant account provider like Sam's Club or Costco. Sam's Club gives you a YourPay gateway and online terminal to manually run credit cards. Wells Fargo provides Merchant Accounts with an Authorizenet gateway and online terminal. They may have some other gateway options. You might want to check out PaymentTech, I have looked into them and they look good too. They have their own gateway/online terminal. I am sure the Costco deal is good too.

>Help, please!!! My many thanks!

Hello,
    Some cheaper solution to your problem.
    Most of the webhosting co. these days offers shopping cart in the basic package. You should find osCommerce and Zen at any host free. If it's not or it's not included in the basic packages i should consider keep searching. Also there is another option instead of purchasing a dedicated ip and an SSL cert, you might consider using a shared one. Also many hosts offer this at no additional cost.
    And the design part, you said you know some Html basics so i recommend getting a template for the osCommerce that are available to purchase and the prices are much lower than hiring a design company to do the work. Get one template and modify it to suit your needs. As of the cc processing, i recommend getting a payment gateway first , (eg. 2checkout.com ) less cost expesive.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards

did someone say authorize.net for 7.95/month.... how?
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Good post, very helpful!!

Quote Originally Posted by ITAhmed
    did someone say authorize.net for 7.95/month.... how?
    Probably trough a partnership with e-onlinedata.com. The cheapest i know is this
    https://www.e-onlinedata.com/nwsoftwareacp
    Free Setup and 10$/month gw fee.
    Regards

Here is my solution:

- Get a good web hosting company to host your site. For exmaple: www.lunarpages.com - around $95 per year with a free domain name
    - Get an SSL plus a deticated IP address from them - around $77 per year
    - Once you get your site info from them, login to your cPanel, then go Fantastico section and install osCommerce very easily from there, and for free!
    - Now all what you need is a good template for you osCommerce so that your site looks professional. Just go to templatemonster.com, go to osCommerce section, and pick the template you like the most. - around $65

Now you're all set, and paid not more than $250, and needed only 3 to 5 days!

Regards,
    Mohammad