Oh by the way, if anyone happen to know any shared hosts which offers both Ruby on Rails and PHP (preferably both 4 and 5) with decent performance, please let me know.

* Currently considering site5.com but still would like to hear more voices.
    Last edited by writespeak; 11-03-2005 at 04:59 PM.
    DevOps!

Hi canglan,

I believe both MediaTemple and ASmallOrange support Ruby on Rails. MT is monstrous and ASO is small, though, and since your project is just personal, ASO might be better, but if you need ensured stability, I have a hunch MT would be more appropriate. But at least those are two good ones you can explore.

Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Trip
    Hi canglan,

I believe both MediaTemple and ASmallOrange support Ruby on Rails. MT is monstrous and ASO is small, though, and since your project is just personal, ASO might be better, but if you need ensured stability, I have a hunch MT would be more appropriate. But at least those are two good ones you can explore.

Trip
    ASO All The Way!

Ok, I don't have any experience with MT so I can't tell about it, but I know ASO is excellent!

Split from another thread (and a subscription added for the current OP so that this thread will be found).
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt

What is your budget? Do you have disk space & bandwidth requirements?

dreamhost offers these i believe, geez, last three posts plugging dreamhost...
    Have a GD / WWD question? PM Me!
    Domains and Hosting at Airdepth.net - Free Web Software Install
    Go Daddy / WWD Reseller Stores for less at Metrodatacenter.net with Personal Support

Quote Originally Posted by writespeak
    Split from another thread (and a subscription added for the current OP so that this thread will be found).
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    What is your budget? Do you have disk space & bandwidth requirements?
    Budget is around $10/mo but I don't mind paying some extra if the host is reliable, stable and feature rich. It is going to be used for hosting my little blog with virtually no disk/bw requirement, and some php and ruby application development which also don't require them.

One thing I do require, though, is the connection speed to Australia and China. Since my blog entries are mainly in Chinese, and I am in Australia so fast connection to these region would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by manueld64
    dreamhost offers these i believe, geez, last three posts plugging dreamhost...
    This thread is split from a Dreamhost thread, in the original thread I stated I currently have an account with Dreamhost, and disappointed with the server speed.

Thanks anyway though for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip
    Hi canglan,

Trip
    Quote Originally Posted by lauhde
    ASO All The Way!

Ok, I don't have any experience with MT so I can't tell about it, but I know ASO is excellent!
    Thanks Trip and lauhde, I will take a look at these hosts.
    Last edited by Canglan; 11-04-2005 at 12:21 AM.
    DevOps!

I just checked out MT and ASO. While ASO do offer RoR support out-of-box, it uses cPanel which I don't really like. MT doesn't seem to support RoR out-of-box.

So here are some extra requirement for the host (call me picky if you want).

- The host must support RoR out-of-box, which means I don't have to install and maintain RoR myself.
    - SSH is a must.
    - Preferably not using cPanel, from both an admin and user point of view, I don't like it. It's buggy, and the interface is plain awful.
    - Python and Perl suppot would be nice extras, because you'll never know when you'll jump off the boat and switch to something else for fun or for serious.

Thanks.
    DevOps!

There is also TextDrive...

...which seems to have all of what you want:

http://textdrive.com/specs/

I'm looking for something similar, also recently fed-up with DreamHost... The only hang up with TextDrive for me and my needs is their price. :\ But if you can get by on the $12/month plan, then they may be worth a look.
    Last edited by spiffyspiff; 11-04-2005 at 01:18 AM.

Lightbulb Planet Argon

There's also Planet Argon. They have just about all the languages as well as both MySQL & PostGreSQL for databases. Also, they have specific Typo blog hosting accounts that are affordable.

HostPC

HostPC now has RoR and they have PHP.