* Drive By / Hit & Run Posters

I've thought about this plenty of times, as I'm sure many of you have, so if this has been posted already I'm sorry for bringing it back up...

Drive By / Hit & Run posters, people who sign up just to sling mud at a company.

Sometimes I'm sure its a legit concern from a new user, but sometimes I'm sure its competitors slinging mud, and often it comes from nowhere, unsubstantiated, often proved wrong, but you are still left with the topic

"XYZ Host Ripped Me Off!"
    "XYZ Host Has Lousy Support!"
    "Don't go with XYZ Host!"

(If there really is an XYZ Host out there, no offense, just making a random name)

So when someone searches "XYZ Host" its the first thing they see, a subliminal hit even if the OP is proved to be wrong/dishonest in the thread. And I'm sure at least some of these guys know this when they write their topic.

My Suggestion,

If you can't post a URL or PM, you can't bash a company on WHT. Someone must have a few useful or at least non-combative posts before they come here and start popping off about a host.

Your opinions?

If you're a client, how would you participate? Many people are against the idea of a reviews forum, but I think a forum aimed for people who don't know anything about hosting [clients] could be beneficial.

This wouldn't be about the ezzi thread now would it? The person has three posts?

Quote Originally Posted by DanX
    If you're a client, how would you participate? Many people are against the idea of a reviews forum, but I think a forum aimed for people who don't know anything about hosting [clients] could be beneficial.
    I personally like the idea of a reviews forum...

But even there I would impose a rule that you need x number of posts to participate.

As far as how a client would participate, welcome the the WebHostingLounge Forum!

When I came here, I came here to represent my company, but I couldn't post in the Advertising forum, or post my URL, or PM users, until I had more of a post count. So I was (and thankfully so as I've come to enjoy chatting here) forced to participate constructively, rather than just post in the offers forum and wait for people to talk about us.

I just think the same standard should be applied to clients, you can participate in the forum constructively or go elsewhere, registering just to smash a company in public is no different than registering just to promote ones own company.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L
    This wouldn't be about the ezzi thread now would it? The person has three posts?

Yes, and No.

What prompted me to make this post was actually this thread

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=457840

About a company that, from all appearances does look pretty shady.

But if you read it, the user came on and registered as unhappy0, clearly suggesting he created this name, just to make this post.

PSFServers brought it up and several others voiced a similar opinion, someone suggested we not hijack the users thread, and the discussion was more appropriate for this forum, so I've brought it here.

The EZZI thread, you are most likely referring to,
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=457660

Posted by angryman, again, a user who clearly registered with the sole intention of posting negative remarks about a host.

In this thread, the community saw it for what it was, but as I pointed out, now when someone does a search for EZZI, they will see "ezzi, i will not use any ezzi service anymore" in their search results, and thats not really fair to anyone.

And posts like these two examples happen regularly...

The reason you see them as having more posts now, is because they have replied to their own thread, in each case, when the user posted the original message, his post count was 1.

Not a reviews forum, just a forum for clients. People who have no other affiliation with the hosting industry other than owning a website. The forum would note the type of posts in it, and pull newbies / bashers away from regular discussion.

If you go to the first thread I cross-linked/referenced, it looks like the mods took "CHEATERS" out of the subject and deleted our discussion about the hit & runs.

Just stating this for the purpose of our discussion here, not trying to debate the mods actions.

With the same respects given to bashing, praising would also need to be taken into consideration. If someone under X posts can't bash, should they be allowed to praise either? I agree with the drive by posters, but it needs to be done to thwart both avenues, as shady as drive by bashing is, it's the same as drive by spamming for your buddies too. I do agree though, something needs to be done,

*however* human curiosity and the look towards negativity does engage or at least get more reactions than most posts here on WHT. Scan the dedicated server forum for example, look to the bashing posts vs. the request for help or others, and itís significantly higher views / participation on the negative threads.

Quote Originally Posted by sagomatt
    With the same respects given to bashing, praising would also need to be taken into consideration. If someone under X posts can't bash, should they be allowed to praise either? I agree with the drive by posters, but it needs to be done to thwart both avenues, as shady as drive by bashing is, it's the same as drive by spamming for your buddies too. I do agree though, something needs to be done,

*however* human curiosity and the look towards negativity does engage or at least get more reactions than most posts here on WHT. Scan the dedicated server forum for example, look to the bashing posts vs. the request for help or others, and itís significantly higher views / participation on the negative threads.
    Thanks, you bring up some really good points.

I'm not saying this person has done anything dishonest or wrong, but I just saw a good example of a reverse drive-by.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...=433233&page=2

Look at posts 20,21,22

CTN1 was negatively commented on by a client, then lirico, a user who has registered only just this month, made his first post yesterday to say how good the service with CTN1 was. I'm not here to say whether or not this was honest, but it does give the impression that it wasn't.

Imagine if every time EZZI had a client say something wrong, I just registered some new nicks and started yelling about how great EZZI was, its just not right. Granted some could (and I'll bet my life plenty do) keep extra nicks for just such a purpose, and post some random repetetive garbage to get their post count up, but this would at least eliminate the ability to do it on the fly.

So I agree, the rule should go both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Take-IT-EZZI
    Thanks, you bring up some really good points.

I'm not saying this person has done anything dishonest or wrong, but I just saw a good example of a reverse drive-by.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...=433233&page=2

Look at posts 20,21,22

CTN1 was negatively commented on by a client, then lirico, a user who has registered only just this month, made his first post yesterday to say how good the service with CTN1 was. I'm not here to say whether or not this was honest, but it does give the impression that it wasn't.

Imagine if every time EZZI had a client say something wrong, I just registered some new nicks and started yelling about how great EZZI was, its just not right. Granted some could (and I'll bet my life plenty do) keep extra nicks for just such a purpose, and post some random repetetive garbage to get their post count up, but this would at least eliminate the ability to do it on the fly.

So I agree, the rule should go both ways.
    nope, but I do know of ways that people do circumvent the system. Though mods and everybody else certainly can IP check, and have caught people abusing the 1 account per person rule, there are others who have found a work around. However, if there's a post subject to question as to the validity of it, do hit the report this post button, and the liasons and mods will have a look at things.

Quote Originally Posted by sagomatt
    However, if there's a post subject to question as to the validity of it, do hit the report this post button, and the liasons and mods will have a look at things.
    Yes, I've done this and they have been very helpful.

Very simple solution. If you see something fishy, report it.

The Community Leaders can't research every single post or every single member.

They do the best job possible, and I've often seen them ask for a url or reference when somebody posts an unusually harsh review of a company, or sings the praises a bit too loud, so they DO try to prevent the hit and run type poster, and they are well aware of the tactics and sneaky tricks people try.

You are going to have a few slip thru, and that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen-T
    Very simple solution. If you see something fishy, report it.

The Community Leaders can't research every single post or every single member.

They do the best job possible, and I've often seen them ask for a url or reference when somebody posts an unusually harsh review of a company, or sings the praises a bit too loud, so they DO try to prevent the hit and run type poster, and they are well aware of the tactics and sneaky tricks people try.

You are going to have a few slip thru, and that's life.
    But a mod removing a post or giving a user warning points or banning is pretty overt and often uncalled for, if its not a forum rule not to not to "recommend, praise, or belittle other products or services, or any company" before having 5 posts or a week membership, as it is a rule

"Participants may not use discussions to recommend, praise, or belittle other products or services, or any company; without first hand experience of those products or services. This includes companies recommending other companies. Any post not meeting a moderator's criteria will be removed without notice."

Then you aren't just looking to judge the content or honesty of the post, but rather its legality in accordance with forum rules.

We have at least three such rules in place already that rely on post count

# Participants must make five (5) posts before allowed by the system to include a URL in their posts. If you choose to make meaningless posts to circumvent this restriction, your account will be disabled.
    # Members must make five (5) posts before utilizing the PM and system e-mail features. If you choose to make meaningless posts to circumvent this restriction, your account will be disabled.
    # Some forum categories have a "minimum post count" and/or "minimum length of membership" restriction before a member is allowed to start a new thread. Please read the Forum Description and the Announcement within if you get a permissions error while trying to start a thread. If you choose to make meaningless posts to circumvent this restriction, your account will be disabled.

So lets combine two rules

# Participants must make five (5) posts before allowed by the system to use discussions to recommend, praise, or belittle other products or services, or any company. Any post not meeting a moderator's criteria will be removed without notice.